Old Airfix B-17 Bit o Lace

old thumper

BIT O LACE

The original Airfix B-17 Flying Fortress kit dating from around 1962.  Bit o Lace, a classic kit that no doubt everyone over a certain age will remember.

My aim is to build the model up as neatly as possible while keeping the original look and feel of the kit, I want the finished build to be neat but still easily recognisable as the 1962 Airfix kit.  

This will include. 

1) No after market goods.

2) A tiny amount of scratch building.

3) The possible use of scrap and spares, most likely for small parts such as guns.

4) Retention of the riveted surface, although toned down. 

5) Inclusion of as many character parts as possible, such as aircrew.

6) Retention of the kits historical inaccuracies. 

7) Minimal weathering with fresh paintwork. 

If I finish this build in time then I plan to follow it up with an old Airfix B-29 Superfortress build

35798374413_082a8ba5f0_k.jpg

The kit cost me a tenner but comes with very stagnant conservative 1980's box art. I much prefer the original box top myself.

36469620511_be0f6d3f99_z.jpg

36469629311_d99c81f970_k.jpg

36607831215_a8b13d13e8_k.jpg36438991762_3d393b6fb6_k.jpg36211237670_a91932d03d_k.jpg36439040052_62966c68d4_k.jpg36607864955_f7e9a1f5c9_k.jpg36607873845_76cced1373_k.jpg

The parts.

I have done a bit of dry fitting and it actually looks like a much better kit than I remember. As far as I can see all the parts are there but two of the props are broken.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 14

Oh history indeed, both the kit and the aircraft. And the original Roy Cross artwork - absolute classic, that must have generated the popularity.

A kit that I've built 3 times, and once as this subject.

The plane featured in an article in 72Scale Model Mag - which I revisited upon my model.  It was shot to pieces in April 1945 - probable inspiration for the Roy Cross artwork.  Returned to service with an outer wing from a camoed aircraft.

Enjoy this build, I'll be watching with interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Nice to see a classic built Like the idea of keeping the original fell of the kit 

Martin H

Thanks, I shall do my best.

3 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

So iconic. All power to your arm with this one, it's going to look fantastic.

I could be wrong but just about every one I've ever seen had at least one broken prop in the box.  I think they made them that way!

Thanks, I have a feeling one of the props was broken in the last one I built also. I think the props get tangled up with other sprues while still in the bag.

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Oh history indeed, both the kit and the aircraft. And the original Roy Cross artwork - absolute classic, that must have generated the popularity.

A kit that I've built 3 times, and once as this subject.

The plane featured in an article in 72Scale Model Mag - which I revisited upon my model.  It was shot to pieces in April 1945 - probable inspiration for the Roy Cross artwork.  Returned to service with an outer wing from a camoed aircraft.

Enjoy this build, I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks, the original Roy Cross artwork inspired many a boys imagination back in the 60's and 70's, it certainly inspired my own.

Bit o Lace was one of those big Christmas present kits I always dreamed of.

• Like 3

:popcorn:

I also built this one in my younger days, it was the first build I attempted to paint. Mind you I did not know enamels took so long to dry, which was frustrating for a 10 year old. It was also the first kit I used masking (with cello tape) on to do the wing chevrons and tail stripes.

Looking forward to living some childhood memories with your build!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

:popcorn:

I also built this one in my younger days, it was the first build I attempted to paint. Mind you I did not know enamels took so long to dry, which was frustrating for a 10 year old. It was also the first kit I used masking (with cello tape) on to do the wing chevrons and tail stripes.

Looking forward to living some childhood memories with your build!

Thanks.

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Welcome to the GB OT :welcome: , with a great nostalgia build.  I do hope that you'll be keeping all the moveable features!

Cliff

I will certainly try, thanks.

• Like 2

What a great idea for a build :thumbsup:.

As you say, the sort of kit we hoped to get for Christmas. Your next build, the B-29, was one that I saw built in Beatties as a child.

It looked so impressive. They're going to look superb together. Many of us should try to build with rules like this now and again. A great mojo boost :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

On 8/21/2017 at 5:38 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

What a great idea for a build :thumbsup:.

As you say, the sort of kit we hoped to get for Christmas. Your next build, the B-29, was one that I saw built in Beatties as a child.

It looked so impressive. They're going to look superb together. Many of us should try to build with rules like this now and again. A great mojo boost :).

Best regards

TonyT

On 8/21/2017 at 5:44 AM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Liking this  as this and the B29 were built as a kid , but like Wagon Wheels I,m sure they were bigger back then :hmmm:

Thank you both, I also remember these kits as a kid, the B-17  doesn't look as big as it did back then but the B-29 is still a monster.

I remember seeing those built kits hanging from Beatties ceiling, a black Airfix Catalina sticks in my mind well enough to have the same kit in my stash waiting to be built.

• Like 3

Progress so far.

The crew figures.

These are pretty bad to be honest, deformed little chaps with tiny heads and giant hands. So far I have cleaned off the excess plastic and aibrushed them with Humbrol leather enamel paint. I may leave them all over in the one colour but will probably attempt to paint on life jackets and goggles. Either way they will hardly be seen.

36596640162_bfa7d58e84_k.jpg

Fuselages halves and interior.

Removed flash from the edges of the fuselage halves,  added the windows, nose floor and cockpit, airbrushed inside with Humbrol interior green. I remembered the windows being a bad fit and sure enough they were, after about three hours of reshaping they were finally all in, the cheek gun windows being particularly time consuming. The small radio compartment windows needed replacing with ones from the scrap bin as the ones in the kit were way to small. As a kid I thought the windows were designed to be glued from inside the fuselage but it seems the lip around the windows was actually flash. Plastic card has been glued along the fuselage half edges to aid with joining. I won't be doing a lot more with the interior other than adding a bit more paint here and there.

36469587431_f4c3d15892_k.jpg

36607898035_1532e95c7c_k.jpg

36607905395_55d1b9dac0_k.jpg

36766585305_ac1c461ede_k.jpg

36596652422_7fa74e126e_k.jpg 

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 9

It's great seeing an old classic being given a new lease of life!

For information, B-17s were unpainted internally, being left in natural aluminium. Only the flightdeck was painted in bronze green - interior green was never used in B-17 production. Cockpit sidewalls were covered in an olive green padding. 

Thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to change it before you've closed the fuselage and it's too late!

Wheel bays were also left in natural metal. 

All the best,  

Tom

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

It's great seeing an old classic being given a new lease of life!

For information, B-17s were unpainted internally, being left in natural aluminium. Only the flightdeck was painted in bronze green - interior green was never used in B-17 production. Cockpit sidewalls were covered in an olive green padding. 

Thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to change it before you've closed the fuselage and it's too late!

Wheel bays were also left in natural metal. 

All the best,  

Tom

Thanks for letting me know, I might change the interior back to aluminium if I get the time.

• Like 2

I love this kit. It took pride of place on my bedroom ceiling as a nipper being attacked by the Germans on one side and the Japs on the other. 

I still have one buried deep in the stash but the decals are missing, does anyone know if Airfix still make the Bit of Lace Decals ?

I hope you don't mind if I follow the build :popcorn: this is going to be great :cheers:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

You fought the cheek windows well. The kit offerings are certainly 'a basis' for the part but not the finished article! 

The crew figures always did look as if they came from a 50s sci-fi movie.

39 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I love this kit. It took pride of place on my bedroom ceiling as a nipper being attacked by the Germans on one side and the Japs on the other. 

I still have one buried deep in the stash but the decals are missing, does anyone know if Airfix still make the Bit of Lace Decals ?

I hope you don't mind if I follow the build :popcorn: this is going to be great :cheers:

cheers Pat

Thanks very much to you both for your interest, it is nice to know that I am not the only one that still enjoys these old kits.

Bit o Lace decals are available from aftermarket suppliers, and also I think in a Revell kit. The new Airfix B-17 unfortunately does not offer a Bit o Lace option. 

Apparently the old Airfix decals are incorrect due to the wrong colour being used on the frock. 

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

Here you go Pat.

http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=5&SUB=1&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=76&STKNR=76&STRH=3332&ORDN=2444&RNZ=274008

Dermot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm particularly enjoying this build too :)

I've got an Airfix Kingfisher that I bought specifically for a nostalgia build - I think that now may be the time (either for this GB or Float Planes).

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cliff

• Like 1

The old Hasegawa kit had the artwork with a better colour of dress.   Not sure whether it is actually better or whether painting over the Airfix one would be easier.

I must get them out for a comparison again for the day when I get to finish mine off!

Finished painting the crew figures yesterday, they are still not very good but turned out much better than expected. 

Added everything that needs to go inside before gluing the fuselage together.

Luckily the fuselage halves mated together better than expected. I got the top of the fuselage to meet up quite evenly. I then masked and filled the seem using humbrol filler. The way things are looking so far I should only lose about 3 or 4mm of riveting along the top of the fuselage, this means all the longitudinal riveting should be left intact which I will be happy with.

Guns, I have cut the barrels from the waist, ball turret and tail guns and glued what was left inside these positions. 0.5mm brass tube will be used to replace the gun barrels towards the end of the build. Most of the guns included in the kit are bent and covered in flash, I may be able to use a few though.

36644154522_d170766ce8_k.jpg

36814787925_d76fa85546_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 7

I did get this as a Christmas present at very late -70's. I didn't paint my kits back then and the lack of colour provided by the decal sheet must've been a disappointment if I recall correctly. But I loved it anyway! It was a big silver Flying Fortress with Brownings sticking out in every direction! And please Mr. Airfix, Herr Revell etc. do note it had an aircrew! Where's one in your recent kits, eh?Good luck with your build OT, remember to supply the the guy up front with a scale roll of toilet paper before you close him up there, it looks like he's going to need it :rofl:

V-P

• Like 5

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 21:55, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

I get any missing vintage transfers from ebay - there is a part built B17 on right now, decals still intact, for £4.20, link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-Boeing-B-17G-Flying-Fortress-1-72-Scale-Part-Built-/282625788082?hash=item41cdcf48b2:g:RKAAAOSwm7RZoYQF

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I get any missing vintage transfers from ebay - there is a part built B17 on right now, decals still intact, for £4.20, link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-Boeing-B-17G-Flying-Fortress-1-72-Scale-Part-Built-/282625788082?hash=item41cdcf48b2:g:RKAAAOSwm7RZoYQF

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Mike

It will be interesting to see how much that kit sells for. I would be a bit put off by the windows having been glued in, maybe they would come out ok just I can see that they haven't been fitted neatly.

• Like 1