Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin T3 (confessions of a serial kit starter)

I realise I've already got a diorama and a plane as works in progress but they've both gotten to a point where I need to go top up my paint supplies. So...

I've dragged another kit out

35842600993_735ab62677_b.jpg

The intention was to just make it as it comes but first steps have been to:

- Steal some suitable pilots from the spares box and fashion sprue ejection handles

36651874635_85cfbcbf71_b.jpg

- Section off a bit of nose to hold some ballast

36605477626_edc7581f4c_b.jpg

- Download pictures of the underbelly tanks to try and scratch them

- Order a fresh batch of other potential distractions

36513593511_976f987250_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
disappearing link
  • Like 9

Beware of that boxing of the Mosquito: I have one and the plastic has become hard and brittle to the extent that it cracks and splits when you cut it; not something that I wanted to discover part-way through a "how to commit gluing" demo for our local model emporium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Beware of that boxing of the Mosquito: I have one and the plastic has become hard and brittle to the extent that it cracks and splits when you cut it; not something that I wanted to discover part-way through a "how to commit gluing" demo for our local model emporium.

Thanks for the warning - at least I can blame the plastic if it goes pear shaped

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Serial kitstarter huh?

We should form a group, or a superhero team, and save the world from unstarted models!

The Javelin is such a cool looking jet, so I can understand the allure :)

It has been bobbing around the top of the to-build list for a while but I'm determined that this is the last start till I've finished all of the current crop... mostly determined... quite... well...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bristow95 said:

I'm going to watch this close as I've always liked the javelin and want to add one to my stash. Good luck 

If you're looking for a nice build of a Javelin then I think @sunray's interpretation of this kit is pretty darned definitive. 

5 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

F-106A from Hasegawa is realy potential distractions????

Don't smile my AIR-2 Genie in 72nd scale!!!! :)

That is potential distractions:

20170716_150011.jpg

В.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3

I always thought the T3 was a rather attractive mark of Javelin, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. I've got the Heller offering in my growing stash - will be good to see a completed version of this one! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I realised this one was. I've the fighter one in stock, which came first as I imagine the molds for one were buggered reworked to make the molds for the other. Maybe one to look out for but then again, if enough people like you make these, Airfix is bound to give us a new tool one, maybe. :unsure:

Steve.

Oh heck @stevehnz - if I'd realised this was a rare(ish) kit I'd have passed in on to someone less kackhanded. No going back now though

@Aardvark That looks splendid but I've still a big mental barrier to splurging on a single kit and add-ons. I realise the value per hour of absorbtion and entertainment is good but still can't quiet a bit of brain that remembers buying kits from the stationers for pocket money

Minor progress - nose half filled with squished .177 airgun pellets and (clumsily) blanked off

36276757210_f49de4191c_b.jpg

Major structures taped together and put in position to check centre of gravity is in front of the main gear. ✅

36672684195_e4c7dc5b30_b.jpg

Our brave crew try out their office (some tidy up of the top of the seats still to do)

36276757640_497c8f707a_b.jpg

35863500993_d6e8c46c71_b.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I realise the value per hour of absorbtion and entertainment is good but still can't quiet a bit of brain that remembers buying kits from the stationers for pocket money

LostCosmonauts ,

As the equivalent pocket money for buying kits in old-good time when we was a young, grass is greenish and wooden is higher, is more preferable cakes:

but not stationers!

;):):)

В.R.

Serge

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Oh heck @stevehnz - if I'd realised this was a rare(ish) kit I'd have passed in on to someone less kackhanded. No going back now though

Looks to me you're doing just fine with it. A small hint with nose weights, I normally mix them up with PVA/white glue which holds them firm, adds a little weight & doesn't react with plastic like using superglue for the same job apparently does over time.

Steve.

A bit of relaxing pottering with plastic today

The intake trunking just ends in a flat plate with a great big seam across it so I decided to tart that up a bit (but only a bit as it takes some peering to see in there)

An in progress of the trunking ends one hacked off and another with addition of some stretched and reshaped sprue

36705960096_3bc73dc6ce_b.jpg

Self same after painting and a bit of black and blue discolouration

36583162702_75f8322512_b.jpg

Which is a. it rustic I'll grant you but looks ok(ish) if you are squinting down the intakes

36583161622_a4d283a4ac_b.jpg

And thanks to the kindness of @Scimitar (thank you again) some belly tanks arrived today

36705959536_61febb630f_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 18/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

I realise I've already got a diorama and a plane as works in progress but they've both gotten to a point where I need to go top up my paint supplies. So...

I've dragged another kit out

35842600993_735ab62677_b.jpg

The intention was to just make it as it comes but first steps have been to:

- Steal some suitable pilots from the spares box and fashion sprue ejection handles

36651874635_85cfbcbf71_b.jpg

- Section off a bit of nose to hold some ballast

36605477626_edc7581f4c_b.jpg

- Download pictures of the underbelly tanks to try and scratch them

You got those from an on line auction site ....im sure thatvi was looking at that batch😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly neatened up and primed I've made a start on the colour coats

36927386951_bf8a1bfe64_b.jpg

while that dries thoughts turned to aerials, intakes and dangly bits. I've no idea where parts 28 (4x) have disappeared to so I'm making some replacements

36927385161_5369b0885b_b.jpg

and these intakes just next to the cockpit just don't look right so are getting reshaped and an appropriate 'ole drilled 

37068950235_0a215f4300_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bijou splurgette

Light aircraft grey applied to the nether regions (instructions say aluminium but the available pictures of the real thing it looks grey)

37180249796_9e31de4da3_b.jpg

Upper surface main ocean grey

37227601521_34b337e646_b.jpg

And then the dark green

37227599981_eb9fdc9264_b.jpg

Some touching up and adding bits, bobs and dangly bits to do

36557640713_ba90824cb9_b.jpg

• Like 2