Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin T3 (confessions of a serial kit starter)

Oh [insert expletive]!

I've just realised the painting instructions and box art invert the grey & green. I followed the painting instructions and guess which one is correct...

I'm going to sleep on the decision on whether to leave well alone or not

Looking good.

I see what you mean about the undersides looking grey in the few colour pictures around.

In this photo,look at the tanks which are silver and the remainder of undersides look grey.

However I am fairly sure that 11 Squadron's Javelins had long gone before the advent of Light Aircraft Grey.

XH716W_Boeckmann.jpg

Where's DuncanB to answer this one?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Looking good.

I see what you mean about the undersides looking grey in the few colour pictures around.

In this photo,look at the tanks which are silver and the remainder of undersides look grey.

However I am fairly sure that 11 Squadron's Javelins had long gone before the advent of Light Aircraft Grey.

XH716W_Boeckmann.jpg

Where's DuncanB to answer this one?

That's the same impression I got from other pictures of XH390 - silver tank and grey belly. 

XH390 

on the deck & sans tanks

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/img/s/v-3/p1573102865-3.jpg

and in the air with what looks very much like grey belly but shiny tanks

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p988717252/h5dc3bd5b

If anyone knows either way (or can interpret those B&W shots convincingly) please shout up. If     @Duncan B is the man in the know then I'm certainly not too proud to beg for advice.

(Sorry - photos just as links out just in case anyone kicks up a fuss over copywrite)

Paint also looks like it should wrap round the leading edge of the wing so that settles the question of whether the upper surface gets recoated. Definitely needs redoing

Edited by LostCosmonauts

She's looking good and suitably hefty

Good decision to go HSS under there, Javelin was ages out of service before LAG came in I think

I do love pen nib tailpipe Javelins, one of my favourite conversions involved pen nibs and the venerable Frog Javelin FAW9?

I think it was a 9, I'm getting too old for decent memories maybe...

😱

• Like 1