1/48 Sea Hurricane pt.2

The second Sea Hurricane of late following the Italeri one. Both kits have pro's and con's where construction is concerned. There is a tight tolerance twixt fuselage and wing and a step for'ard on the underside which needs smoothing. However, Perfect Plastic Putty is your friend for the tiny hairline gaps which I had. What you don't get in the Airfix kit is the Oil collector ring, rear view mirror, dorsal light and a few stencils. I did use a few from the Aviaology set for these but one or two silvered (starboard side) which is probably due to my less than smooth finish. With this set there are differences twixt Canadian and British aircraft stencilling pointed out. I may have used Canadian stencils but to be honest there are bigger worries in the world.  A few kit parts were short shot, namely the seat, hook and the pilot's arm but I don't use figures. Mirror, hook arms and collector ring were scratched from bits of plastic

Decals used were the kit ones, Aviaology, and the band/serial/7Y from the Italeri one. The leading edge and tip lights fitted a lot better then the Italeri one. Restrained weathering overall for me and paints used were the same as the recent Italeri one. Pastels were used in the panel lines and a light rubbing of them overall on the upper surfaces and sides. Oh, and you get four spoke 'alloys' only with the kit which I did include and should keep the Gauleiters from having a meltdown but other RFI's are available. Paints used were the same as the Italeri build. Indoor phots as the showers are on and off today and it's ruddy breezy outside.

Can you spot the rudder control cable? I do hope it's not the wrong colour. Right, I'm off to practise my cynicism.

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

Spot the prop tip hair. Yes, it's in the correct scale as well. Might not be the correct FS colour though.

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

4 spokes! You can breathe easy.

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

A couple of gratuitous  shots showing the Airfix  and Italeri one with a bag of cat food in the background. Interesting what goes into cat food.

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

Oh, a massive bag of breadcrumbs as well (not fish finger friendly). No prizes for guessing the correct amount but ultimately more interesting than rivets.

DSC00553.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

They both look lovely to my eye. Well done. I built the Italeri one in the colours of the Shuttleworth Collection example a while ago and seem to remember that a few aficionados were critical of the kit (although it looked fine to me!)

If you enjoy it then that's what counts at the end of the day. That's my belief. That Shuttleworth bird does look good in all it's glory.

24 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work again Darby.

What paints are you using?

James

Humbrol 123/31 uppers, 90 underside. Metallics were Citadels Leadbelcher drybrushed with Warlock Bronze then an oil based blue pastel finger rubbed over for the exhaust. Undercart was Revell Aluminium (aloominum if you're from way out west and I don't mean Marazion) and steel with Citadel Ulthuan Grey for the legs.

Cheers for the comments chaps.

• Like 1

They're a couple of very nice Hurricanes and both beautifully finished.

I must admit that there's something very appealing about the Fleet Air Arm colours.

Thanks for showing them.

• Like 2