Airfix magazine "cars special"

Ade H

Airfix model magazine has just done one of its occasional special issues and this one is all cars (plus one bike). There's a really nice build of a 962 in Jaegermeister colours and a photo reference for it. It's worth the price for this alone. There's also an Ebbro MP4/30, which is nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon chaps :bye:

Ade, I think Airfix should be applauded for doing the Magazine. Its not yet available in SA, but my dad bought me a copy when they returned from a visit to the UK last week, and I think its brilliant.

:thanks:

:ninja:Mad (Happy) Steve:ninja:

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that it might be the only British magazine to do specials. Finescale Modeler in the US, and its sister mag Scale Auto, have done many good ones and they usually focus more on tutorials.

Is this one available in the shops alongside AMW?
I'd be interested in having a flick through before deciding to get it, much as I love car and bike models i'm not so bothered about F1 and racing influenced variants.

Which bike model is featured?

I don't know, but I'm sure that the previous specials all were. The bike build is Tamiya's Kawasaki H2R (Marmite bike in my opinion). As well as the MP4/30 and 962, there's a Model Factory Hiro AC Coupe, a Ford Model T, Airfix Jag XKR, an old Smer Alfa 158, Aoshima Lambo (that was a poor quality build, though) and a Revell Corvette.

People say that something is "marmite" if you either love it or hate it! Marmite even uses it in adverts. ;) Not sure if you'd get Marmite in SA, but it's a sort of... beef flavoured... spreadable thing? Disgusting anyway!

• Like 1

Ah okay :) 

Yeah we get Marmite here and yes, its disgusting :unamused:

Okay then I can understand.

I'm a huge fan of bike models and Tamiya bikes especially.

Its a good kit, yes, but the hype is more about the real thing than the kit, my opinion. Well engineered kit, and very good quality, but they should have included the Carbon Decals in the kit. You need to spend quite a bit on AM just to make a standard bike (CF Decals and Zero Paints)

Overall tho, not as good as the Panigale, again, just my opinion.

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja: 

• Like 1

Yea, I agree completely, Steve.

Tamiya can do precise engineering and then undermine it with some strange decisions (how many screws does the Panigale have?) or omissions.

I wish that it would do more European bikes, like MV Agusta or Aprilia. Maybe a BMW sports bike (1000RR? Can't remember exactly).

35 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Its delicious  spread it on toast , or crusty rolls 

PV likes Marmite.... Now THAT explains a lot :)

23 minutes ago, Ade H said:

Yea, I agree completely, Steve.

Tamiya can do precise engineering and then undermine it with some strange decisions (how many screws does the Panigale have?) or omissions.

I wish that it would do more European bikes, like MV Agusta or Aprilia. Maybe a BMW sports bike (1000RR? Can't remember exactly).

That' s the decades old question with Tamiya. Why dont they do more day to day runners, or a couple more of the european bikes.

Your comment on the Lambo Sesto was interesting too Ade. Not to slag off the chaps work, but I also didn't like it much. I'm building one at the mo and it just doesn't look right without the Carbon decals on all the bits (not the body, its too fine a weave to do on the whole body, my opinion)... and mines matt black and green :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ade H said:

People say that something is "marmite" if you either love it or hate it! Marmite even uses it in adverts. ;) Not sure if you'd get Marmite in SA, but it's a sort of... beef flavoured... spreadable thing? Disgusting anyway!

You're thinking of Bovril, surely?  Much prefer Marmite myself (and that strange Antipodean imitator) , which is why I was n Tesco recently .where coincidentally I found the terrific AMW special.

18 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Afternoon Chaps :)

Well... I have tasted all three, Marmite, Bovril and Vegemite... And they all suck, equally :)

There,s a specail place in  Hell    for non Marmite  lovers :jump_fire:

A cup of hot Bovil on a cold morning hits the mark ==================== Keeps you toasty all day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Batt said:

You're thinking of Bovril, surely?

Po-tay-to/po-tah-to, as they say. :lol:

How the heck did we get onto dark brown spreads? Oh, yeah... :whistle:

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

There,s a specail place in  Hell    for non Marmite  lovers :jump_fire:

A cup of hot Bovil on a cold morning hits the mark ==================== Keeps you toasty all day

In those areas of the world that have progressed past the Dark Ages... we have something called Coffee that you can drink on cold mornings :)

Tastes much better than melted down cow :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, M1ks said:

Is this one available in the shops alongside AMW?
I'd be interested in having a flick through before deciding to get it, much as I love car and bike models i'm not so bothered about F1 and racing influenced variants.

Which bike model is featured?

I've seen it in my local Smith's, so I'd guess it will be available in all but the smallest branches.

Thanks, unfortunately it's going to be a wait until I get into town thing, my 'local' Smiths is 75 miles awy where town is, small remote villages are nice but there are times it's a nuisance for getting to shops you used to take for granted when town was only 7 miles