This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tiger331

The Parlous State of the UK Modelling Magazine market

Kes    357

I haven't bought any model magazine for years now, they're too expensive for what they contain, I'm not really interested in super accuracy (oxymoron?) and, to me at least, unrealistic weathering, just looks a bit daft. 

However, I do like to revisit my comprehensive collection of Airfix and SAM mags from the 70's and 80's, probably driven more by nostalgia than anything else?

. . . Kes

John B (Sc)    97

What an interesting topic, which has wandered intriguingly at times.I still buy some modelling magazines - most;y SAM for old times' sake and because I too like Gary Hatcher's amusing and quaint writing style.

Some random comments -

Actually Dave, I think there were five nots in the sentence you commented on...  ('Pedants are us', alive and well up North!)

Terrific to see John Aero back on line.

Folk remembering  Airfix Series 1 for 2/-.  Happy days.   I seem to recall they were 1/11 in Woolies, 2/11 for Series 2. That one penny difference in price was worth while then !   I could rarely afford anything from the higher number series except at birthdays & Christmas.  

Conversions prompted by Alan Hall and (more rarely) by W R Matthews in Flying Review - all done in balsa with much sanding, talc, doping etc.  I have a vague memory  using banana oil, but maybe that was for flying models?   And plunge form moulding, which took lots of practice and some times upset my mother when I made a mess in her kitchen.

John B

Max Headroom    5,950

I don't recall buying a modelling magazine for a few years. I will still riff through them at WH Smith in The increasingly vain hope that there is an article that I absolutely need. Otherwise the only thing that I think would swing me to buying a modelling magazine would be scale plans of a type that I was interested in.

Trevor

AWFK10    104
21 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

I have a vague memory  using banana oil, but maybe that was for flying models?  

John B

I think it was banana oil that used to be recommended in the articles Airfix Magazine sometimes ran in the 60s and 70s on converting their "HO/00" and 1/32 scale soft plastic figures. The authors sometimes used plasticine to model pieces of clothing (a hussar's pelisse, for instance) and the oil was supposed to harden it.

JPuente54    68

I get two modelling magazines: "FineScale Modeling" and the IPMS/USA publication. I used to get SAM; but, had to drop it as the subscription price became too high(currency rates); and, I had other demands(wife and step-daughter, etc.) that had a higher priority. If it is not what it was; then, that is a shame. I do get the new Airfix magazine from time-to-time when it becomes available. It is well edited and written. FSM also has step-by-step articles that do just that; illustrate each step of a build. They do cover everything(figures, ships, etc.). It is sad to read that some of the UK based pub. are not fulfilling a modeler's needs.

fightersweep    326

I still love flicking through my stash of old magazines. Particular favourites were (and are) Plastic Aircraft Models International and Scale Models International. I've tried most of the new magazines, but I just can't help finding the old mags more interesting. To be fair though, my main thing is vintage kits anyway, so the old mags suit me better. 

John Aero    1,239

I don't think that the modern magazines and products for that matter, give the modeller the same horizons or goals, to achieve something by your own efforts and imagination as in yesteryear. Yes, they will give you a wide range of decal options and colour suggestions and what's going to tempt your wallet next.  Many of the builds to me are really observing one persons undoubted skill at finishing and detailing, which can often come out of a packet.  Nowadays much of it is done for you and there are kits of aeroplanes that most modellers haven't even heard of churned out on a regular basis.

I note that on this forum that of the many of the most popular threads of the 'pull up a chair and eat popcorn' genre, are when someone starts a vacform or an old fashioned 'cut and shut' conversion.

I once made a Bell Airacobra (when no 1/72 scale kit was available) by using most of the skinny nose and fuselage of an Airfix Defiant, I can't remember where the canopy came from, but the wings were the outer panels of a Frog 1/96 scale Blenheim and a chopped about Frog P.40 tail group. Well it looked like an Airacobra.

Of course not every one favours this kind of modelling and if you want to just build every version and colour scheme of you favourite plane then the magazines of any age can aid you, with articles on variants and colours then you just need good, accurate, easy to build model kits and a shed load of decals.

John

Vicarage Vee    202

You make some very good points there John.

The old Airfix Magazine conversions (and those in Chris Ellis' How to go Plastic Modelling) were a great inspiration to me as something to aspire to and then have a crack at.  Sure, they were mostly beyond my abilities then, but they were an excellent grounding and now the most fun I have is in converting, scratchbuilding and going way overboard on minuscule homemade details.  It's what makes my hobby fun for me and I'm much happier doing that than assembling 'flawless' kits from the box.  Others may prefer things differently which is fine by me.

I honestly don't think that magazines would go too far wrong by having sections on basic skills: everyone can learn something after all, especially if it's showing something not quite the way one would do it.