The Parlous State of the UK Modelling Magazine market

Tiger331

9 minutes ago, Des said:

Paper is dead , the internet lives , everything that anyone could ever need can be found online.

How ?      Because someone goes to a book or a magazine and unselfishly shares their investment and time to find answers for those who actually believes the opening sentence.

Yep, that is the case now...10....15....20 years that will not be so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

As anyone else is, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. However, I think on one salient point I have to debate otherwise. Whilst article authors may publish both online, and in print, the only times I have seen both, the online "article" is a much cut down version. I would say that 99% of the time the only thing published online would be pictures of the finished item with a tag line saying "build for xxx magazine, unable to publish anything more until the article has appeared in print". This would indicate that they are under some sort of contract or embargo which would not allow them to detract from the magazine article. There have been quite a few like that on this very esteemed forum itself. 

The fact that there is a new publisher set up - Phoenix Publishing, with two new magazine would not indicate that modelling magazines are 'withering on the vine', nor past their sell by date - and judging by the responses in the applicable thread and the response they had at Telford, they seem to be having some success (long may it last I say!... Although I maybe slightly biased I know the editor reasonably well, as we are in the same local modelling club!)

I suggest you go over to the ww1aircraftmodels.com forum and have a look at the "under construction" files. You will find build articles on specific models, many by master builders, that go into far more detail than anything I have ever seen in print. Some of these models have also appeared in a mag but in much less detail.

These logs often evolve over many weeks or even months and interested parties can comment, question or advise the builder as the model progresses. This is just not possible in print. There are some estimable publications, (such as the Windsock WNW build files,) which do give huge amounts of detail - but even these don't allow the reader to fire in a question, in real time, as to how an effect has been achieved.

FSM price is mad for this country. But I have been involved in US railroad modelling for 40 years and the $1=£1 has been pretty constant throughout for any model product in that field.  Except for a very brief period when Kalmbach mags were cheaper in the UK than in the US even using the “proper” exchange rate.

Luckily nowadays I can get FSM online through our local library service - free and as soon as it’s published in the US!

4 minutes ago, Macsporran said:

I suggest you go over to the ww1aircraftmodels.com forum and have a look at the "under construction" files. You will find build articles on specific models, many by master builders, that go into far more detail than anything I have ever seen in print. Some of these models have also appeared in a mag but in much less detail.

These logs often evolve over many weeks or even months and interested parties can comment, question or advise the builder as the model progresses. This is just not possible in print. There are some estimable publications, (such as the Windsock WNW build files,) which do give huge amounts of detail - but even these don't allow the reader to fire in a question, in real time, as to how an effect has been achieved.

I addressed your specific point " article I find published on a Great War plane has often been pre-empted by the author publishing step-by-step build articles online" . Your second comment now seems to suggest it's actually articles published solely online! I do not frequent WW1 Aircraft models as this is not an area of modelling that I have any interest in, nor do I frequent the sub forum here on BM. However, when an article does appear in print in the magazines that I buy (which is actually quite often) I will read the article, as some techniques do have a carry over into the areas that interest myself. 

I appreciate that with articles that appear in print you are not able to ask questions on technique, problems etc. However, a well written magazine article, will invariably cover these aspects of how the author has corrected any issues with a kit, how they have created any effects eg creating a wood effect in the cockpit, created the NMF on the cowling, created any weathering etc. Most magazines do also encourage the reader to get in touch to ask questions, and most will pass on your questions to the author. Thankfully in my local IPMS club, we actually have a number of members who have articles published and to whom questions may be asked on how they managed to do what they did with the kits they built for various publications. As I said, I do not think the printed word is in danger of dying out, it is still very much an important part of this hobby. Magazines may come and go. But as I said, the fact that a new publisher has emerged, with 2 new magazines, and several new bookazines being published must be something to be celebrated in these uncertain times. I for one am looking forward to buying the aviation modelling title that Phoenix will be publishing, and (when funds allow) buying their publications on the F-16!

11 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

I addressed your specific point " article I find published on a Great War plane has often been pre-empted by the author publishing step-by-step build articles online" . Your second comment now seems to suggest it's actually articles published solely online! I do not frequent WW1 Aircraft models as this is not an area of modelling that I have any interest in, nor do I frequent the sub forum here on BM. However, when an article does appear in print in the magazines that I buy (which is actually quite often) I will read the article, as some techniques do have a carry over into the areas that interest myself. 

I appreciate that with articles that appear in print you are not able to ask questions on technique, problems etc. However, a well written magazine article, will invariably cover these aspects of how the author has corrected any issues with a kit, how they have created any effects eg creating a wood effect in the cockpit, created the NMF on the cowling, created any weathering etc. Most magazines do also encourage the reader to get in touch to ask questions, and most will pass on your questions to the author. Thankfully in my local IPMS club, we actually have a number of members who have articles published and to whom questions may be asked on how they managed to do what they did with the kits they built for various publications. As I said, I do not think the printed word is in danger of dying out, it is still very much an important part of this hobby. Magazines may come and go. But as I said, the fact that a new publisher has emerged, with 2 new magazines, and several new bookazines being published must be something to be celebrated in these uncertain times. I for one am looking forward to buying the aviation modelling title that Phoenix will be publishing, and (when funds allow) buying their publications on the F-16!

You obviously overlooked my statement " Some of these models have also appeared in a mag but in much less detail" when you erroneously stated "Your second comment now seems to suggest it's actually articles published solely online!

Not to worry. I'm glad you enjoy your printed magazines. I'm glad there is still a market for them. As I stated above, I earned a few bob publishing articles in Scale Models back in the 70s and 80s and it would be a shame to see them disappear entirely. 

On 1/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, Macsporran said:

To be honest, web and print work in conjunction a lot of the time. Long detailed online build threads are great, but they go off topic (sometimes for pages); the builder goes quiet, gets side-tracked in a new project, or just gives up. When they work though they are like expert monographs. Print magazines don't do this, of course, but at least you know you will get a full article with a start, a middle, and an end!

The death of print has been prophesied for years, and yet still it goes on. It is at least a mature technology that can be read anywhere,  whereas online evolves continually leading to problems of just where to access these builds- forums, social media, blog etc. At the moment content is mostly free, but we are starting to see the first hints that some of it will go behind paywalls as expert modellers start to decide that they can perhaps make a living from being online as well as in print.

I say enjoy it all.

Cheers
Jonners

• Like 6

Yep, agreed, Jon.

1. There are more than a few websites that now charge for 'premium' content. I foresee a near future where most content will be behind paywalls. Look at the way TV is going....

2. And look at the issues that the Photobucket Phiasco threw up last year. Much content has consequently been severely devalued. 

3. I'm an admin at another forum, and our links to our old home at Tapatalk are now basically useless, due to photo-host issues and the constant barrage of unwanted ads. 

Sorry e-enthusiasts, but it'll be a very long time before print is entirely replaced.

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 4

On 27/01/2022 at 16:03, Des said:

Paper is dead , the internet lives , everything that anyone could ever need can be found online.

How ?      Because someone goes to a book or a magazine and unselfishly shares their investment and time to find answers for those who actually believe the opening sentence.

I have to heartily disagree: if someone asks me a question (OK mainly regarding the F-86, but not exclusively), the answer will usually come from NAA source data, aircraft record cards, Government records or my personal photo library. I've just submitted a full listing of XP-82, P-82 and F-82 individual aircraft records to the WIX 'Forgotten Props' website. Now you may find partial aircraft histories on Baugher's website, but you certainly won't find complete data and you certainly won't find it in any book or magazine. Ditto the B-45 data I submitted last year.

And I know other posters on BM who likewise share their primary source data and personal photos.

I'd also say that paper is not dead, but I think it's a limited market. I haven't bought a modelling magazine since the start of lockdown and I don't miss them at all. But conversely I have bought endless books in that same period - probably more than I ever have.

The King is dead: long live the King.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 4