The Parlous State of the UK Modelling Magazine market

Tiger331

Following Mike C's post. 'How well would they sell'. Frankly not massively, but to generate interest in any subject, it has to have publicity and encouragement from the magazines. I started off my company 'Aeroclub' with the hope that the models I would produce would reflect the aeroclub light plane scene over the years. When I kicked off the metal accessories side, the demand for stuff to enhance and improve mainstream kits such as the ejection seats and props sent me in a totally different direction.  To stay in business it was best to follow the money trail. Not that that was ever El Dorado, believe me.

Conventional injected tooling was very expensive so very few companies would venture far away from the Spitfire, Mustang, 109 route. Vacforms had the "ugh, far too much effort" label, but modern techniques such as resin and low cost injection now offer the possibility of meeting smaller markets. (The older short run system which Merlin, Pegasus Skybirds and myself used, now has no technical or spares backup anywhere in the world, it has gone the way of Dodo egg incubators).

A number of Continental companies seem to be doing reasonably well.

One thing I will add is the debt I owe to magazine editors such as Alan Hall, Ray Rimell, Ron Firth and others for the support I received in my early years. How many know that a small article in Aviation news started the British short run injection industry. When magazine editors had influence!

John

• Like 6

I am a regular reader/buyer of Scale Aviaition Modeller International since January 2010, when I picked up a copy at Borders Bookshop in KL.

Despite the price hike over the years (from 6.50€ to 9.50€) it's still my favorite modelling magazine.

I cannot agree on issues like "pages of 'catalogue style' content, poorly assembled models and pretty shallow reviews that provide no real objectivity".

I actually do like to skip through their "news" section, which always has products featured that I missed;

I find most of the reviews useful in one way or the other;

and I do appreciate that the models presented are not all "international show winners".

In SAMI, you can see what the model looks like when assembled by a 'regular modeller'  - with all its flaws, problem zones and shortcomings.

I do prefer these above the "super expert" magazines, where every build has loads of aftermarket stuff, home-cast resin items and self-printed decals, and has probably taken 3 years to complete.

I also have to say I'm a pretty mainstream modeler with interest in mainstream types like Bf-109, Spitfire and Mustangs.

So even if there's some repetiton (several builds of the new 72scale Eduard Spitfire, for example) it still keeps me entertained!

Edited by Roman Schilhart
spelling
  • Like 2

Hello

Well said, Alan. Still, one can understand Sabrejet who published his articles in C & C gratis. Who would not like to add a very prestigious name of a magazine to one's bibliography? This option, however, losses its appeal when one does not have a regular income or, in American terminology, a day job. Also, imagine one's sentiments when parts of or the whole of one's work, that he or she had done pro bono, appear somewhere else under another name, only this time ˝author˝ also receives a proper remuneration. Cheers

Jure

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Well said, Alan. Still, one can understand Sabrejet who published his articles in C & C gratis. Who would not like to add a very prestigious name of a magazine to one's bibliography? This option, however, losses its appeal when one does not have a regular income or, in American terminology, a day job. Also, imagine one's sentiments when parts of or the whole of one's work, that he or she had done pro bono, appear somewhere else under another name, only this time ˝author˝ also receives a proper remuneration. Cheers

Jure

Been there, done that in magazine, book and website form: I don't approve of plagiarism of my work (unless credited), but it's a fact of life. And it still won't stop me submitting articles for reputable magazines and it won't stop me from writing books, regardless of if I get paid or not.

But I do find it strange that anyone would expect to be paid for doing their hobby - unless it's not a hobby of course. For me it is, and I assumed that was the point of Britmodeller; and hence, the remarks in this thread.

7 hours ago, Alan Kelley said:

Would you be prepared to go into your work this week and tell the boss- I'm going to work 100+ hours for you, you can make money off me and I'll do it for free. No- thought not. Why would you expect authors to be any different? 

Just seen this so apologies for the late reply.

I think I can see where the confusion has arisen: I wasn't talking about my job: all my posts in this thread have been about my hobby/hobbies, notably scale modelling and aviation history. So to re-phrase and slightly paraphrase your question in that context: "Would you be prepared to do hundreds of hours over many years on researching aviation history by visiting archives across the world at your own expense, and spend that time corresponding with the men and women "who were there" to get their side, as well as gather related ephemera to support the research; and then tell a publisher you'll provide them with a complete magazine article and not expect or receive payment?"

Then my answer is yes - many times. Oh and I forgot the three websites which did exactly the same: one defunct but the other two happily chuntering away.

:D

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I think I can see where the confusion has arisen: I wasn't talking about my job: all my posts in this thread have been about my hobby/hobbies, notably scale modelling and aviation history. So to re-phrase and slightly paraphrase your question in that context: "Would you be prepared to do hundreds of hours over many years on researching aviation history by visiting archives across the world at your own expense, and spend that time corresponding with the men and women "who were there" to get their side, as well as gather related ephemera to support the research; and then tell a publisher you'll provide them with a complete magazine article and not expect or receive payment?"

Then my answer is yes - many times. Oh and I forgot the three websites which did exactly the same: one defunct but the other two happily chuntering away.

Modelling isn't my job, it's my hobby. But when a magazine asks me to build them a specific subject and they will make money from me then it is still only fair they remunerate me. I spend countless hours researching every model I build as I am a detail freak- everything I build has to have the look or feel of the real item. Otherwise I wouldn't finish it, but that's me.

• Like 4

Hello

Sabrejet, I would like to make a comment on one of your perceptive remarks. What if modelling is not just a hobby? Although I have not reached such a level of dedication, I can fully understand a plastic modeller, so passionate about his or her work, that does not want to be associated with so called vanity authors, more than happy just to see their name under published article. Also, what if one has no choice but to make plastic modelling and aviation history into sources of his or her income? A colourful bibliography is interesting, but does not pay one's bills.

Another train of thoughts has slowly shaped itself while going trough posts. Some forty years ago an average aviation modelling magazine contained three or four main articles, with themes usually divided about equally between modelling and aviation history. Conversions and scratchbuilds had been held in revered position of advanced modeling, as had vacuform and resin kits and conversions. Yes, there was no colour print, drawings were crude by standards of today, photos were small and blurred, but on average these articles were about 75% new to me. The only alternative sources were other magazines and books. These days, one can choose between vastly higher number of quality kits from various manufacturers, not only for a single type, but also of many of its sub-types. Information about any subject are only few mouse clicks away, and so are kits and decals of most exotic aircraft, most of us had had no idea about their existence few decades ago. These days, to build a decent kit is not that difficult and neither is to write an article about it. It is not surprising if an editor, who is working on a shoestring budget, decides to publish yet another glossy, very colourful, but otherwise mediocre inexpensive article, hardly any different from the one published in previous number.

I am not clamouring for the good old days, when men were real men, women were real women and small fluffy creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small fluffy creatures from Alpha Centauri (thanks, Douglas Adams and RIP). What I am trying, with some difficulties, to say is: yes, in absolute terms there is no comparison between plastic modelling in 70' and today, but in relative terms an average reader learned much more reading a single article in a modelling magazine from 70' or 80' that going though several numbers published these days. Perhaps we have became too saturated with information, perhaps there is just too many new kits, accessories and decals around and we hardly find anything interesting these days. Just my thoughts. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

My story is a little different. As a kid, I made models and so did my mates. We were unaware of Modelling magazines and merrily made whatever the local shop sold. I then got into model railways and was introduced to my first modelling magazine - Railway Modeller. I religiously bought this for about 8 years. I also bought the Airfix Model Trains magazine or the three years that was published 1980-83. I then changed direction and started building kits. I learnt of other modelling mags, but never found a regular outlet for them, and when I did find them there was very little inside that I was really interested in. When AMW started I took out a 2 year subscription and was in two minds about whether to continue as I felt it was becoming stale with the same old contributors churning out the same old stuff. I opted for a further two years and really wished I hadn't. I didn't renew again. I model lots of different subjects. I don't have in depth knowledge, and look for the articles to educate me. I'm afraid I find most of them condescending - I'm not going to show you how to do this because everybody knows - well no actually. It was like going back to the bad old days of modelling when everything was a secret, and the Competition Winners kept it a secret so no-one could take their crown. I don't build to enter competitions, I do so for my own satisfaction. The internet has been a much better source of inspiration and explanation, with modellers willing to share their techniques. I don't think I've bought a modelling mag since cancelling my AMW subscription. I prefer to spend my hard-earned on a good, relevant reference book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I am a regular reader/buyer of Scale Aviaition Modeller International since January 2010, when I picked up a copy at Borders Bookshop in KL.

Despite the price hike over the years (from 6.50€ to 9.50€) it's still my favorite modelling magazine.

I cannot agree on issues like "pages of 'catalogue style' content, poorly assembled models and pretty shallow reviews that provide no real objectivity".

I actually do like to skip through their "news" section, which always has products featured that I missed;

I find most of the reviews useful in one way or the other;

and I do appreciate that the models presented are not all "international show winners".

In SAMI, you can see what the model looks like when assembled by a 'regular modeller'  - with all its flaws, problem zones and shortcomings.

I do prefer these above the "super expert" magazines, where every build has loads of aftermarket stuff, home-cast resin items and self-printed decals, and has probably taken 3 years to complete.

I also have to say I'm a pretty mainstream modeler with interest in mainstream types like Bf-109, Spitfire and Mustangs.

So even if there's some repetiton (several builds of the new 72scale Eduard Spitfire, for example) it still keeps me entertained!

Hi Roman,

we all 'march to a different drummer' and if SAMi works for you, that's great.

I go back a 'little' further than you, my first magazine was Airfix purchased in the mid '60's, when everything was 'greyscale' BUT, you were shown

what and where the problems were and how to 'fix' them to an acceptable level, normally with hand drawn sketchs to help explain a point.

I have many copies of Airfix Magazine from all three? or four owner groups, every copy of SAMi from No.1,

the bulk of SAM from the 'flyer' that was issued before No.1, excluding issues when Jay was editor.

We in the U.K. have a wide choice of magazines, BUT, as it has already been pointed out, most  U.K. magazines now follow, very closely, what appears to be a 'format'.

Sadly, with so many new kits arriving, it always appears to be the same kit in three or four magazines within a two to three month time scale.

I will say that a number of the magazines are realising that there IS a 'world' of other (dare I say :hmmm:older kits!) out there i.e. released over a week ago!

Personally, I won't be renewing my subscription to SAMi or MAI, simply because they aren't what I want, quite possibly not what the editors want either,

but currently, it's what the accountants want.

I don't think it's 'show winners' we want to see, my feelings, it's information on what the problems and pitfalls of a specific kit are, the best way

in which to 'fix' them, and preferably with pictures and not so much aftermarket or etch brass, might even be called 'old style' modelling...................

On a slightly different note, a lot of what John (John Aero) has said about "Aeroplane" is very true, again my feelings, that now the title has been aquired by

Key publishing, it will be around for another year or so, then slide off 'into the sunset', as what is the need for two titles covering almost the same topic?

Key now have the Aeroplane photo archive, why dilute the money stream? though this months Aeroplane is quite good with coverage of the DH84!

In the end magazines, as with models, publishers / manufacturers may ask what we would like to see, SHOULD it match what they want to print / produce

everybodies happy, if it doesn't, well, guess who will have the final say.................THAT...................................

would be us, provided we all 'stick to our guns' and vote with the wallet...................................AS IF!!!!

Paul

• Like 2

"I'm not going to show you how to do this because everybody knows"

I have that impression, too. It disappoints me and for much the same reason as you, except that I don't think that they are just being condescending. I assume that the writers/editors can't (or perhaps don't want to) devote space and effort to explaining the how and why in addition to the what. Maybe the writers are encouraged not to go into too much detail; maybe there is a word limit to work within (probably is); and they have deadlines to meet. I don't know and I don't want to be unfair to them, but it leaves me thinking that readers who don't know it (which often includes me) are not well served. The trouble is that the what is much easier to explain than the how and why, and perhaps that's partly the reason for such editorial decisions.

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Gee where have I heard that before? - right here!  I have been running 'losses' for years doing this - it called retirement projects!

Patrick Martin

2 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

Gee where have I heard that before? - right here!  I have been running 'losses' for years doing this - it called retirement projects!

Patrick Martin

Oh yes one more - Try working on a project for two years and the week after its released at Telford - some Russian web site is selling a pdf of it!!!

PM

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know. If some Russian site puts one of my books on pdf, I'll almost take it a sign of respectability as in "I've finally made it! My books are good enough to be ripped off by Russian pirate sites!'. I am saying this in at least half-jest. If I do see one of my books in pdf form on any of these sites (and I do look from time to time), then they will receive a very harshly-worded reprimand from me. For all the good that will probably do. Still, it's the brave new world we live in, with everyone having computers and scanners and access to the Internet.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.

It is sadly well known - on the internet - if an image is able to copied - consider it ' stolen ' - unless you have copy protection

I learned that the hard way , when I posted 4 x ww2 original photos of the German Graf Zeppelin Carrier - that were soon copied and posted on another website as if they ' owned them ' -

when I complained - they had the gall to say that the copy right was ended - and it was fair game ........

I can understand an author's annoyance if their work was stolen , for example

I posted on a Japanese N1K2 George aircraft - facebook site

a scan of the front cover of Air Enthusiast , for the George Fighter - and said how many pages were there , and that it was worth buying -

I got numerous requests to scan and upload to the site , all the pages of the article - I refused point-blank ( and got abuse for refusing ) -

My reply was ' buy the magazine ' - don't steal the images and pages

you have to stand for a principle

• Like 2

On 24/08/2017 at 3:30 PM, 73north said:

I learned that the hard way , when I posted 4 x ww2 original photos of the German Graf Zeppelin Carrier - that were soon copied and posted on another website as if they ' owned them ' -

when I complained - they had the gall to say that the copy right was ended - and it was fair game ........

I completely sympathise with having original work stolen, but they may in fact be correct in this instance that the copyright on those photos had expired, especially if they had been published in Germany.  As far as 'fair use' goes, I'm not sure.

Complicated business is copyright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

I completely sympathise with having original work stolen, but they may in fact be correct in this instance that the copyright on those photos had expired, especially if they had been published in Germany.  As far as 'fair use' goes, I'm not sure.

Complicated business is copyright.

Thanks - actually they probably did me a favour , in the long run

after that I never posted original , rare stuff , without my name across the image , and a few ' Microsoft paint ' lines through it -

any person here that sells an original photo on ebay - would be well advised to have copy protection like this !

I subscribe to AMW, MAI, SAM and MIM (although only the aircraft edition). What I find a little frustrating is that the perfect magazine is out there if only they could be blended together :). I've only been buying modelling magazines since 1993 (Scale Models and the occasional SAM) and over the years purchased most of them, including SAMI (since it started), MAM, MIS (until it died), FSM and the occasional TMMI, along with the various magazines that didn't last long (like the one that spun off from MIS, and Cold War Modeller).

AMW is a high quality publication and IMO probably the best modelling magazine in the market in the past 25 years. The editorial standard is quite high, the number of errors relatively low, the content varied and the models made to a reasonably high standard and well photographed. I have no interest in armour, cars, ships, etc., but I always get a good read out of it.

I buy MAI because of Spencer Pollard, but it has to be said the print quality is appalling - the September issue is almost unreadable in places due to print misalignment, and the photos from the New Orleans show are the photographic equivalent of unreadable. The content is often a little thin - only four articles on models this month - but the models are nearly always to a standard I aspire to and the photography is excellent. I enjoy the strong opinions as well, but I'm disappointed that recent editorial content appears to be partly driven by responses to various spats on Facebook and Youtube, rather than establishing its own vision. The number of errors grates, as does a chronic overuse of gerunds, usually in photo captions. Spencer has, however, saved us from the reign of the question mark at the end of statements so beloved of Richard Franks.

SAM is always a triumph of hope over reality. The quality of modelling has always been patchy, but has recently taken a less inspirational turn and IMO there is little modelling wise of much use to the experienced modeller. I love the high word count but the photos are so tiny they may as well not be there; those that are are usually poorly lit and framed. I really rate Gary Hatcher as a writer and appreciate his style and all the extra little articles which are often included. I think it's still the best written magazine out there, but the errors can be funny, e.g., Hobby Boss accidentally referred to as 'Fobby Boss' in September's issue.

MIM I get electronically, because that makes it affordable. The standard of modelling is generally high, as is the word count. Some of the articles are a little rushed, but having contributors like James Hatch means I will read them even when I have no interest in the subject matter. The photography is also excellent.

SAMI nowadays seems unreadable and MAM only has articles that are a couple of paragraphs in length and so of no practical use. MIS is sadly gone - even though I don't make armour I read every single article when it was being published and generally loved it. FSM is aimed at beginners and TMMI is just too thin.

But I do not hark back to days gone by. In reality, Scale Models was thin, mostly in black and white and highly variable in content. Of course, Icarus is missed for his entertaining analysis of all things modelling, and it was articles by Jonathan Mock, Ted Taylor and Peter Looper that produced a step-change in my modelling ambitions when I was 15. I almost never bought SAM back in the mid 90s since it was entirely black-and-white and focused a lot on what I regard as obscure (back then if you weren't interested in WWII, as I am not, then SAM had almost nothing to offer). SAM took a huge turn for the better under Neil Robinson (even if the endless 'quotation marks' and italics were deeply irritating) and the previous editor (Paul someoneorrather) until it crashed under the Jay. SAMI has been through its ups and downs and was, under Hatcher, a magazine I thoroughly looked forward to every month. SAMI under him was definitely a better magazine than SAM is now.

Some in this thread have suggested that those who complain should contribute. I have attempted this, and thus far have been met with silence or indifference. I've ended up writing articles that I want to read with photographs I want to see and posting them on my own website and Hyperscale.

I confess I love talking about modelling magazines just as much as I love talking about modelling. I too am amazed so many keep going, but long may they continue and long may they continue to irritate and inspire!

Jon

• Like 3

I couldn't buy a modelling magazine even if I wanted to, there are no shops here that stock any even though I live in a large town. 

Our High Street W H Smith closed a couple of years ago and the only branch left locally is a small one in the hospital. There are no large independent newsagents and the biggest Tesco carries railway mags and Flypast but nothing else.

One of the suburban Tesco branches might occasionally have Airfix Mag, which I'll usually pick up on the rare occasions I'm up that way.

John 

19 hours ago, John said:

I couldn't buy a modelling magazine even if I wanted to, there are no shops here that stock any even though I live in a large town. 

Our High Street W H Smith closed a couple of years ago and the only branch left locally is a small one in the hospital. There are no large independent newsagents and the biggest Tesco carries railway mags and Flypast but nothing else.

One of the suburban Tesco branches might occasionally have Airfix Mag, which I'll usually pick up on the rare occasions I'm up that way.

John 

The situation down there has struck me as rather strange John as I lived in Falkirk until about twenty years ago and still visit regularly but have been amazed at the steady disappearance of quality newsagents in a town which has been expanding at a great rate over the same time.

Although I can think of more which had closed down before I moved away at the time there was still W H Smith in the High Street which had a good stock of Modelling and Aviation titles , a large independent newsagent in Newmarket Street whose name escapes me next door to Asda which again was well stocked and often carried some more obscure titles that Smiths did not and across in Stenhousemuir itself which was a good bit smaller then there was Sisman's in the former precinct before it moved down to the new retail park as a shadow of its former self prior to closing down which while not carrying as many different titles as the other two still had enough to make it worth visiting.     Now the area seems to be without a decent newsagent while up here in a more rural area at least a tenth of the size if not smaller by population we have a W H Smith and an equally well stocked independent newsagent where my eight a month  get set aside for me.

On 21/08/2017 at 9:33 AM, junglierating said:

Hmm. Well looking at this thread it's all very negative and that includes my earlier input.

So looking at stuff from the positive perspective.....well there are more magazines not perhaps of the quality of  previous years....maybe tastes have changed and I am not privy to sells figures so I no idea how popular they are but if you go to the UKs biggest supermarket well they are all there and that can be only a good thing for the hobby.

As for adverts well necessary evil just look at what you can buy these days......stuff you couldn't even dream off in days past. 

So I think the hobby is in a better place....whether young people are joining in....I guess they must be else magazines and the explosion in model companies wouldnt happen.

The airfix brand is still on the high street (what's left of it) and is the name for model kits....at least in the UK.

That said still miss the old airfix,scale models and SAM....but things move on.

Well there are some mighty threaders (navy speak for upset) people around....probably a comms misunderstanding.I cant really say about whether people should be paid or not....guess thats a personal thing. But I think we are in a better place we have choice....if you dont like one mag read another...mind you i would like to correct author of that SK article in SAM....but maybe thats me being geeky^_^

I bought my first Airfix Magazine in April 1968 (I still have it). After paying the two shillings (10p) it cost, I couldn't afford to buy too many kits before the next issue was due. My first conversion was to chop up the Airfix P-38 (already built and crashed) to make the gorgeous, streamlined early British version. I made a hash of it, but have been hooked since. However, I stopped buying all magazines about five years ago. In my case it was a combination of redundancy, lack of storage space, and too much repetition.  But my greatest bugbear was articles that start with a base Trumtamygawa kit at £100+, add 3D printed somethings internally (that can't be seen), but you can't get hold of anyway, use resin cockpit updates that cost a further £80, then junk some of it because an etched brass set is marginally better (another £50 gone), use decals that went out of print before you knew they even existed, use Unicorn tears as a setting agent and lingerie models lady hair as aerial wire.  

I can't be bothered to keep up.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

On 04/09/2017 at 4:58 PM, Ossington said:

...  But my greatest bugbear was articles that start with a base Trumtamygawa kit at £100+, add 3D printed somethings internally (that can't be seen), but you can't get hold of anyway, use resin cockpit updates that cost a further £80, then junk some of it because an etched brass set is marginally better (another £50 gone), use decals that went out of print before you knew they even existed, use Unicorn tears as a setting agent and lingerie models lady hair as aerial wire.  

To be fair, that's not entirely a new phenomenon.  ISTR that Alan Hall's  Wasp conversion used 4 Hudson tailwheels, which at 4/6 a kit was heap big money.  Could probably have bought a whole lingerie model for that.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 3

I remember that one! I thought he was working to a deadline (and grown-ups could afford it). I reasoned straightaway that some toy car wheels would have do for me, with forks from thick foil. I'd consider every conversion until it said "mould a canopy from acetate" but never explained the process. I eventually got it, reading about tank turrets, some years later. 

21 hours ago, Ossington said:

..... But my greatest bugbear was articles that start with a base Trumtamygawa kit at £100+, add 3D printed somethings internally (that can't be seen), but you can't get hold of anyway, use resin cockpit updates that cost a further £80, then junk some of it because an etched brass set is marginally better (another £50 gone), use decals that went out of print before you knew they even existed, use Unicorn tears as a setting agent and lingerie models lady hair as aerial wire.  

Several ways to look at this.

One is the writer showing what is possible to gild the lily although sometimes it is difficult to tell what has actually been achieved.

Another is that some of the manufacturers of to me overly expensive kits that originate in some Asian countries seem to regularly skimp on their research and either miss bits or get bits wrong which need to be provided/replaced by either scratchbuilding if it is within the modeller's abilities or buying aftermarket.     And perhaps linked is that not every version of every aircraft is going to be kitted which again goes back to the options of scratchbuilding/aftermarket.

Yet again not every possible markings option can be provided with the kit and not every aftermarket decal manufacturer keeps every sheet ever produced in their catalogue or goes to the trouble of re-printing an old or creating a new sheet just because yet another kit of an already well covered aircraft has been produced so if the modeler wants to do a specific scheme they may have to go searching for an out-of-print sheet.

I do write for modelling magazines and unless essential I do try to avoid aftermarket items unless necessary but sometimes it just cannot be avoided to achieve the end result sought.     At the moment I am returning to an aircraft I built solely for my own interest many years ago and not for printing which involved scratchbuilding some changes to make the particular version I wanted to model as well as to add some additional general detail but felt then and since that I did not quite do it justice to my satisfaction.       So  this time I am going to use some aftermarket items and decals that became available after I had completed the first model mainly because I find the aircraft quite intriguing and would like to take a second shot at getting it a bit better.    The result is that the aftermarket has cost three times the price of the kit although I still have the print references from first time round so I have been spared that expense but like many modelling decisions that choice comes down to preference , I tried doing it relying on my own skills and it did not work so now a few years down the road and after a bit of thought on the cost I am going to try again.     If it works I might offer it for print and it might be accepted in which case readers can make up their own minds on whether or not it is worth the effort to try themselves either through using aftermarket items or attempting the scratchbuilding route.

However what really does annoy me is reading entries on modelling forums along the lines of the 'the Airtrumpyhobbyiya whatever has just been released ,what aftermarket is available?'  before anyone has even opened the box to see what is inside and if it in fact needs to be replaced or embellished but on the other hand such comments do suggest that there are those among us who have made that choice in pursuing their hobby.

Edited by Des
  • Like 2