Interesting B-17 camo scheme

modelling minion

Hi all,

Came across this interesting and (for me at least) unusual scheme on a B-17F and wondered if anyone can shed any more light on it.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/27435

I would like to know what the second colour used for the camo is, I assume its medium green blotches on the olive drab but I'm not 100% sure, there also seem to be some areas in different colours such as the stbd tailplane and the control surfaces on the wings. Now I know some of this can be explained by weathering, such as the control surfaces, but I'm not sure about the others. If anyone has any more pictures of the same aircraft or others in similar schemes I would be very grateful to see them.

Thanks in advance.

Craig.

I would say that any dark green will suits well, as I don't think it was painted like that on the production line.

About the different colours on the control surfaces, I would say sun reflection, and not weathering or another colour.

But at least on the HTP, some touch ups remain a possibility.

I think you're free to practice your artistic licence there.

• Like 1

Hi

Nice find :)

reminds me of the photos of some P-38's in north africa, think there is a thread somewhere here on BM

I wonder if the B-17 came from north africa or that was it's originally destination but it was diverted

cheers

jerry

• Like 2

A good number of B-17e's and f's came off the assembly line with green blotches all over. These are listed as being medium green. However the type of film, newness of the paint, angle of sun, angle of reflection can all play with colors in old photo's. I have heard of some e's & f's getting RAF Dark green in britain as camouflage supplement paint. And i have seen some B-17's used in the pacific getting a splotchy camouflage. using medium green or foliage green as maintenance was carried out in areas with RAAF maintenance groups. I say go for it using one of those colors should be good. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

The blotches are most likely to be Medium Green.

B-17s arrived in the ETO in standard olive drab over neutral grey, but it was decided that with the chances of the Luftwaffe attacking airfields (keep in mind the 8AF started arriving in 1942) that extra camouflage was needed to break up the outline of the aircraft whilst at dispersal. 

There was some guidance sent through from 8AF HQ which stated that medium green blotches should be painted onto the leading and trailing edges of flight surfaces and the vertical tail, as well as along the upper fuselage. 

As this was applied in the field, it varied hugely between aircraft and bomb groups. Sometimes, RAF Dark Green was used when US supplied Medium Green ran short. 

The fading you can see can see on the elevators and ailerons is due to the fact that they were fabric covered and faded far more quickly than the metal skinned airframe. 

I suspect the different coloured stabiliser is due to tricks of the light - it's possibly in the shadow of the tail fin. 

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

About the different colours on the control surfaces, I would say sun reflection, and not weathering or another colour.

Tom's beat me to it, but

noted that the fabric covered control  surfaces faded.

Us-Army-Air-Force-B-17-Bombers-In-Color.

I've seen bigger image,  note the ailerons, and the Medium Green blotching

While searcing for  the above image,found this, evidently from some color film 

maxresdefault.jpg

from this

there should be some  info in this about this

Boeing%20B-17%20Flying%20Fortress%2013%2

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/13-Boeing-B-17

Boeing%20B-17%20Flying%20Fortress%2013%2

HTH

T

• Like 3

Some great replies and information, as usual from very knowledgeable and helpful BM'ers.

Looks like OD with medium green splotches is the way to go.

The mention of B-17's in RAF or at least RAF style camo reminded me of one of the other schemes I had considered and that i find interesting, might need to invest in another B-17, or two!

Thanks for all your replies and help so far guys, much appreciated.

Craig.

Great replies folks,.....  don`t forget that the outer left wing looks to be a replacement too, which has no splotches on it,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yes good catch Tony.

I had missed that bit as well, makes it an even more interesting scheme.

Need to try and find some more info/pictures of her now, especially if she carried any nose art.

Hi Craig

maybe you missed this down the linked page

41-24560 'Little Audrey'

B-17 FLYING FORTRESS 
Assigned 368BS/306BG [BO-D] New Castle 4/10/42; Thurleigh 26/10/42; transferred 369BS [WW- ]; transferred 544BS/384BG [SU-A] Grafton Underwood 5/9/43; 1 Base Air Depot, Burtonwood 15/3/44; Returned to the USA Homestead 14/5/44; Reconstruction Finance...

Given the length of service,  I bet there is  more...

putting "41-24560 'Little Audrey'"   into

first, there is this

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/468

with more pics,

and  (same  pic above)

http://www.384thbombgroup.com/piwigo_384th_gallery/picture.php?/20714/category/F41-24560

20100220173857-06078b02-me.jpg

Bound to be more,  may even have been done as a decal already ;)

For this kind of of information, I'd try Hyperscale Plane Talking,  they have a larger US membership.

HTH

T

• Like 1