Effects of using Tamiya spray?

Harrywilliams

Hi all, I recently bought some Tamiya spray paint and after using it i have had sore throat, blocked nose and dizziness, it seems to come randomly and lasts 10 minutes or so, I last used the paint a week ago and haven't used it since, the reason I think it's related to the paint is because it I only started to feel the effects immediately after use, I sprayed in a well ventilated area, is it paint related or is it some sort of cold  which only effects me for 10 minutes a day? 

Thanks for your time

Harry

Harry,

Tamiya sprays are Lacquer based, which can be quite harmful and potent.

I've reverted to Mr. Color lacquers of late and will admit to you (but don't tell me Missus) that I had similar, although milder symptoms.

I now always use a respirator and spray in a well ventilated room with windows wide open.

Can't say for sure if it's the paint or just your genetic make-up, however a good respirator will ensure that you're taking additional safety precautions, no matter what base paint you decide to use.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Harry,

Tamiya sprays are Lacquer based, which can be quite harmful and potent.

I've reverted to Mr. Color lacquers of late and will admit to you (but don't tell me Missus) that I had similar, although milder symptoms.

I now always use a respirator and spray in a well ventilated room with windows wide open.

Can't say for sure if it's the paint or just your genetic make-up, however a good respirator will ensure that you're taking additional safety precautions, no matter what base paint you decide to use.

Cheers.. Dave   

Cheers Dave, I'll give that a try.

1 hour ago, rayprit said:

Thanks rayprit :yes:

Not a problem Harry,

just goes to show that a 14 year old kid has his head scewed on, had the same symptoms, and did something about it by asking advice.

I never spray indoors......always outside..............indoors its to smelly and lasts for ages, messy with possible overspray and the last time I did do it, I knocked a full jar of green Tamiya paint over the carpet!!!!!  Strickly an outsider now...........

there are, on the Tamiya jar/bottles 3-4 warnings to health on the label.......even to it being flammable and, can cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm which are known in the state of California!!!!

raymond

If you sprayed it a week ago and only have the symptoms for a brief time every day. Could it possibly be an allergy ? To the paint ? I've sprayed Tamiya spray rattlecans for 3 years with no respirator and have no problems. Of course i do spray it outside or if in inclement weather i have a ventilated spray booth i use just dont like to use it all the time it gets to hot for me. 

If it's continuing, see a Dr. 

Yes it could be the paint solely that you've had an adverse reaction to but it could be combined with something else or it could be something else entirely. 

As far as the paint is concerned, cellulose/lacquer based paints are very unpleasant and even spraying outdoors can get you lightheaded, I've primed and painted full size bike parts on gentle breeze outdoor days and inhaled it still. Cracking open a window if you're having a decent spray session won't be adequate, you should certainly be using a respirator and not one of those paper dust masks, a half decent 3M type with replaceable filters. 

On 17/08/2017 at 20:52, rayprit said:

Not a problem Harry,

just goes to show that a 14 year old kid has his head scewed on, had the same symptoms, and did something about it by asking advice.

I never spray indoors......always outside..............indoors its to smelly and lasts for ages, messy with possible overspray and the last time I did do it, I knocked a full jar of green Tamiya paint over the carpet!!!!!  Strickly an outsider now...........

there are, on the Tamiya jar/bottles 3-4 warnings to health on the label.......even to it being flammable and, can cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm which are known in the state of California!!!!

raymond

Cheers Raymond, I did spray outside for a while and got most of the kit done, but it started to rain so I moved on inside, I had the Boscombe down collection model show the next day, and needed to get it done, but then again, it's a lesson and I've learnt from it.

^_^

Did you manage to get the paint out of the carpet?   :P

On 18/08/2017 at 03:34, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you sprayed it a week ago and only have the symptoms for a brief time every day. Could it possibly be an allergy ? To the paint ? I've sprayed Tamiya spray rattlecans for 3 years with no respirator and have no problems. Of course i do spray it outside or if in inclement weather i have a ventilated spray booth i use just dont like to use it all the time it gets to hot for me. 

I'm not sure but I'm not risking it again!

-harry

On 18/08/2017 at 04:23, M1ks said:

If it's continuing, see a Dr. 

Yes it could be the paint solely that you've had an adverse reaction to but it could be combined with something else or it could be something else entirely. 

As far as the paint is concerned, cellulose/lacquer based paints are very unpleasant and even spraying outdoors can get you lightheaded, I've primed and painted full size bike parts on gentle breeze outdoor days and inhaled it still. Cracking open a window if you're having a decent spray session won't be adequate, you should certainly be using a respirator and not one of those paper dust masks, a half decent 3M type with replaceable filters. 

I didn't have my airbrush kit with me at the time (on holiday) so decided to try a spray can, I'll stick to airbrushing from now on, if I can find the thinning ratio of revell aqua colours... 

If I continue to feel like this I'll go see someone, it is getting better, but slowly.

cheers

-Harry 

On 17/08/2017 at 22:02, Skodadriver said:

I think you'll find that the moderators will either delete or move this thread.

Help and Support is for site-related issues, not for modelling problems.

my mistake, didn't look properly :nah:

4 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

my mistake, didn't look properly :nah:

Well it's still in Help and Support for the time being!  

Many years ago I took a trip (in the hippy sense) after using some kind of aerosol varnish, possibly Testors, indoors.  I also had headaches for a couple of weeks afterwards.  Overall it was a pretty unpleasant experience and I learned the hard way the importance of proper protective equipment.  In my case there was absolutely no doubt that it was related to the varnish but your symptoms suggest there might be something else going on.  As others have said, if it doesn't settle get medical advice.

4 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

I didn't have my airbrush kit with me at the time (on holiday) so decided to try a spray can, I'll stick to airbrushing from now on, if I can find the thinning ratio of revell aqua colours... 

I regularly airbrush Revell Aqua but I'm hopelessly unscientific when it comes to ratios, pressures and stuff like that.  I just thin it until it's about the consistency of skimmed milk, apply a quick squirt to an old model kept for that purpose and if everything is OK off I go.  Although it's possible to thin with water I always use proper Aqua thinner for airbrushing and so far I've not had any problems.  

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Well it's still in Help and Support for the time being!  

Many years ago I took a trip (in the hippy sense) after using some kind of aerosol varnish, possibly Testors, indoors.  I also had headaches for a couple of weeks afterwards.  Overall it was a pretty unpleasant experience and I learned the hard way the importance of proper protective equipment.  In my case there was absolutely no doubt that it was related to the varnish but your symptoms suggest there might be something else going on.  As others have said, if it doesn't settle get medical advice.

I regularly airbrush Revell Aqua but I'm hopelessly unscientific when it comes to ratios, pressures and stuff like that.  I just thin it until it's about the consistency of skimmed milk, apply a quick squirt to an old model kept for that purpose and if everything is OK off I go.  Although it's possible to thin with water I always use proper Aqua thinner for airbrushing and so far I've not had any problems.  

Ouch! I didn't know it could be that powerful! 

Thanks for the advice on the aqua colours, I might have do some testing before I spray the BUFF, how effective is water? Does it do the job well? I do have proper thinner but I'm having to "ration" it as such because I can't get it we're I live (can't get it online either)

cheers-Harry

For very full advice on RPE, this document gives a lot of info Respiritory protective Equipment at Work, a practical guide http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg53.pdf

There's nearly 60 pages, so slow to download, and heavy reading when you get it.

Table 7 on page 45 is, I think, the most useful bit of info ...

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

For very full advice on RPE, this document gives a lot of info Respiritory protective Equipment at Work, a practical guide http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg53.pdf

There's nearly 60 pages, so slow to download, and heavy reading when you get it.

Table 7 on page 45 is, I think, the most useful bit of info ...

Cheers Robert, I'll check that out.:yes: