!/72 Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I

Finished last year. BoB hurricane in the markings of Australian born Howard Mayers of 601 Sqn (Osprey Hurricane Aces p.88). Out of the box except for aftermarket Rotol propeller. Rear fuselage "trenches" filled in with Mr. Surfacer. Painted with Xtra enamels.

Since the photos were taken, the main wheels has been replaced with more correct 5-spoke items.

LcTF79f4_o.jpg

xHQo03LF_o.jpg

aEtQLMFJ_o.jpg

vYo0PcCx_o.jpg
Olp184y5_o.jpg

• Like 29

3 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Finished last year. BoB hurricane in the markings of Australian born Howard Mayers of 601 Sqn (Osprey Hurricane Aces p.88). Out of the box except for aftermarket Rotol propeller. Rear fuselage "trenches" filled in with Mr. Surfacer. Painted with Xtra enamels

Nice! Very clean.

Regards,

David

Nice to see a Hurricane model , especially a Battle Of Britain variant, and you've made a superb job of your model. Thanks for sharing the pics.  :thumbsup:      :cheers:

Never thought of using Mr Surfacer to even out those horrible fabric lines, now I hate myself for not thinking of it when I built my last Hase Hurricane. Looks marvelous

I presume you used a thicker type, like 500?

2 minutes ago, Phantome said:

Never thought of using Mr Surfacer to even out those horrible fabric lines, now I hate myself for not thinking of it when I built my last Hase Hurricane. Looks marvelous

I presume you used a thicker type, like 500?

Yes, exactly. The trick is to leave a trace of the depression to suggest the stringer behind the fabric. I'm not sure that this can be seen in the photos, but I know it's there.

At rest the Hurricane rear fuselage is more bevelled (right term?), the stringers forming a multitude of flat surfaces with the fabric strung tightly over the stringers.

Its almost impossible to recreate that without a 3D computer assisted cutter.

HTH Finn

1 hour ago, FinnAndersen said:

Yes, exactly. The trick is to leave a trace of the depression to suggest the stringer behind the fabric. I'm not sure that this can be seen in the photos, but I know it's there.

At rest the Hurricane rear fuselage is more bevelled (right term?), the stringers forming a multitude of flat surfaces with the fabric strung tightly over the stringers.

Its almost impossible to recreate that without a 3D computer assisted cutter.

HTH Finn

Yes, the effect is visible - as it should be. Revell and Airfix got it better in their respective Hurricane kits, it's a shame because otherwise the Hase kit is superior IMHO.

• 3 years later...
On 17/08/2017 at 07:09, FinnAndersen said:

the main wheels has been replaced with more correct 5-spoke items.

Hi Finn you linked to this build recently,  overall came out very well, though I think Hasegawa 72 Hurricane are all essentially Mk.II's, OOB. (they have the longer MK.II cowling rear part and extended wing fillet) 

From photos, 5 spoke are only seen on L**** and N**** serial planes,  and then all after that have 4 spoke.   I've never seen that kind of Rotol blade pre

1942 either.    

The Osprey artwork likely missed the tri colours spinner as well, just visible on this shot, note the white band just in front of the prop blade. 

601-squadron-hurricane-w760.jpg

Having been trying to match RAF colours in acrylics recently, your colours look good. 

and detail comments aside, a very neat model. 

:goodjob:

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 16:37, Troy Smith said:

Hi Finn you linked to this build recently,  overall came out very well, though I think Hasegawa 72 Hurricane are all essentially Mk.II's, OOB. (they have the longer MK.II cowling rear part and extended wing fillet) 

From photos, 5 spoke are only seen on L**** and N**** serial planes,  and then all after that have 4 spoke.   I've never seen that kind of Rotol blade pre

1942 either.    

The Osprey artwork likely missed the tri colours spinner as well, just visible on this shot, note the white band just in front of the prop blade. 

601-squadron-hurricane-w760.jpg

Having been trying to match RAF colours in acrylics recently, your colours look good. 

and detail comments aside, a very neat model. 

:goodjob:

Thanks for filling in the blanks; I remember that some of the decisions made when modelling this one was based on vague feelings and guesswork, so nice to have someone helping out.

The model have some issues I'm not proud of and I'm toying with the idea of making a better job out of an Arma Hobby Mk I.

• Thanks 1

Very, very nice! :thumbsup:

I know the Arma Hobby Hurricane is the latest sensation (in 1/72) but you've made this Hasegawa kit look like a half-decent alternative.

• Like 1