Bronco Stug III Snow Job

Hi Pete

It's a shameless theft of Andy's method on Andy's Hobby Headquarters Youtube video where he does a whitewash job on a 1/35 Panther.

That video should be right up your alley.

It was Dullcoat over paint job, then hairspray, then a light random coat of Tamiya Flat White with a little Buff added, then some scrubbing with water and an old toothbrush.

A little bit of finger crossing and some anxiety involved too.  I went back and lightly dusted some more white on some of the places where I got a little over eager with the brush.

It seems like at first nothing is happening when you scrub then all of a sudden the paint starts to flake off and you have to slow down.

Good luck with your camo scheme, look forward to seeing it.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

John

Just posted a Panther G in the RFI forum and forgot all about the darned cat!!  I'm sure he's impressed after getting his pic on the web yesterday.

I also tried one of those pics in black & white but that didn't turn out so great.  Maybe too extreme a close up, still learning this dad-blasted camera.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Hi Lloyd,

For a moment there I actually thought you'd nicked the photos of my StuG and re-posted them as yours. Then I realised that mine was a StuG III Ausf G and yours isn't. And that yours had better snow camo and weathering!

A fantastic job on all counts.

I really like the fact that you weathered the thing back to the metal in places before applying the whitewash and the final weathering. The whitewash over the already 'ruined' paintwork is something I have tried to do myself. My first attempt... with a Nashorn, was very successful until the penultimate treatment when the damp brush reacted with bicarb snow and stripped the damned thing back to bare plastic in big patches. I then spent an entire week stripping the whole model back to plastic and another week re-painting it, only for the same thing to happen again.

I don't know what went on there, because my second attempt at snow camo on my StuG, worked out fine and yet I didn't do a thing different!

So, I know what you mean about the fear of doing a snow camo!

Again, you've done a fantastic job,

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder

For a first ever attempt at whitewash it turned out acceptable.   That hairspray method is a bit intimidating but it seems to work.

At least the Inspector General gave it a passing grade, and a lick or two.

How do you get cat spit off a model, or is that more weathering???  The sandpaper tongue does a good job, on fur anyways not so much on

plastic.

He has to inspect everything, I still have an Abrams with 15 wheels as only Nemo knows where the 16th wheel went and he ain't telling.

Lloyd

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Thanks Celt

It's not too tidy, rather dirty and worn in spots and this is my first Stug of all the models I've built over the years.  They are so butt-ugly

I sort of like them too.

Lloyd

The first time I became aware of a StuG, was seeing one in a diorama by Francois Verlinden in a Tamiya catalogue in about 79. I actually thought it was a fantastic looking AFV. After building my first last year and seeing those on here, I have to say I've fallen in love with them.

Ugly, yes, but almost 'sci-fi' looking when compared to other AFV's, I think.

Badder