Tiger I Mid Production w/interior

Agree with John. Seems a shame to hide that interior. Rather than buttoning up the upper deck and the turret have you considered using magnets? You can get some very small rare earth magnets these days. It may be possible to use them to hold the roof in place and allow access to the interior.

Dave

49 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Nah, I'll just close it up.  Rather tired of this one and still a ways to go.

Thanks for looking though Reilly and Dave.

Lloyd

This is the kit I am thinking about getting next. Any reason why you're getting tired of the build? Always wondered in full interiors are more bother than their worth?

Hi Mike

I'm not getting tired of this particular model it's just that I have done so many in the last month or so I'm getting burned.  I also got seriously spoiled by that

Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV I built a couple of weeks back so it's hard to go back to 1/35.  There's nothing wrong with this kit other than the tedious indy link tracks.

I have a 1/16 SU-100 coming for Friday so hopefully my enthusiasm is back, should be.

Thanks for looking.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic subdued camo pattern and a very neat and tidy build as well. I can't see a speck of dust or piece of fluff anywhere.

Those tracks are looking very promising. I look forward to seeing this Tiger weathered up.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, If ever I were to purchase a kit with a full interior I'd have to display the tank 'blown up' with the turret off, and all the hatches burst open and then the engine covers off where other crews had salvaged parts.

Rearguards

Badder

Ya know, I've been thinking the same thing.  Having the turret hanging overboard and the driver's and radio ops's and commander's hatches open are easy but the engine hatch is glued shut as are the fan covers.

Maybe a broken track on one side and some random black to represent fire damage and possibly even park the thing partially on it's side.  Too bad I also glued the escape hatch in the floor closed though.

Hmmmm.... I don't do dioramas but this has possibilities.

Lloyd

Lloyd, I'm no anorak honest but do you have markings in mind for your zimmeritless tiger, 

I only ask as I'm thinking  of a tiger 1 mid as my next build and like you I'm looking to avoid zimmerit if possible after a little research it seems there were maybe 30 to 40 tanks delivered to units without zim in the time frame of aug 43 to sept 43,  although i haven't found out anymore at present, if i can't find anything else on the markings front  as yet

Glynn 

Hewy

it's a mid production Tiger 1 that has survived until late 1944 when zimmerit wasn't required.  It was reconditioned at the factory and repainted so any evidence of zimmerit was removed. They were

running short of paint so the camo is pretty faint in places.  It has seen a fair bit of action so is pretty scuffed up, new paint job took a beating.

That's my story and I'm looking at number 324 as it's small, black and has white outline which I like. 

I don't care if the history buffs say it's not accurate, it is what it is.

I have an early Tunisia version and a late Fehrman version so this one sort of fits in between, with modifications and a sketchy story line.

Lloyd

• Like 1

A little more progress today.  Added decals and some rust in places.  Tried some Vallejo desert dust on the tracks but not too thrilled with the result.

Used a graphite pencil on the track faces, sprocket teeth, idler and track teeth, pretty subtle effect.  I guess the tracks and wheels will get the usual dirt but

not the muddy mess.

Otherwise its getting pretty close.

SvmaoHF.jpgv6jKmrT.jpg2allt4N.jpgaswD5YP.jpg2rDGLiP.jpgNqo1EuV.jpg 

• Like 6

• 4 years later...
On 8/17/2017 at 6:56 AM, Bill.B said:

the jerry cans .....IIRC they we're a factory fit

That rack was a factory fit in "early" Tigers and in the first "Mid" Tigers but it was no longer being installed by the end of the "Mid" run, as represented by this kit.
The entire interior of the turret had been simplified in about October 1943. Rye Field really don't know the Tiger as well as they pretend to.

David

On 8/19/2017 at 5:56 AM, BlackMax12 said:
Another letdown is there isn't anything on the inside turret walls other than the one vision port on each side.  I've looked at the builds

online of the other Rye Field Tiger I version with the interior and there are items that attach to the turret walls. 

Those items were all moved around when the "new turret" was invented. We call it the "Mid" turret now. So, the builds you see online are "Early" Tigers and the way they lay out those items is not relevant.

It gets worse. In late 1943 there was a lot of cost-cutting and simplification in Panzer manufacture. Internal storage was a place to cut costs.
Furthermore, the feedback coming from the front line troops was saying : don't attach anything to the walls. When we take a hit, it all flies around inside the tank!

So, most of the items on the Tiger's turret wall were removed from there and put somewhere else. For example, the large box on the inside right of the wall? It went to the turret floor. The boxes containing spare glass blocks? Moved down to sit on the turret ring. The ammunition bags on the wall? They were hung off the new internal bin on the ring.

This new layout was used on the "Late" Tiger as well as the final "Mid" Tigers as represented by this kit.

Rye Field simply don't know how thie equipment was stored. They can see that the Late Tiger in Saumur museum doesn't have storage on its walls but they don't know where those items are supposed to be. And, frankly I don't think Rye Field ever got inside that Tiger to find out.

David

• Thanks 1