This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jpl

Short Sunderland Mk.III, Italeri.

Posted (edited)

Hello! This time I started with something bigger than usual.

So,  first will be inbox with a bit of history of that plane. ;)

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by jpl
Adding video...

OK. I started with build. Here some stuff from interior:

Enjoy! ;)

Always nice to see a Sunderland build :D

For your first video, re your "spot"of History as an FYI, the last Military Sunderland's actually retired in 1967 (RNZAF MR5's)

Regards

Alan

On 24/08/2017 at 7:16 AM, LDSModeller said:

Always nice to see a Sunderland build :D

For your first video, re your "spot"of History as an FYI, the last Military Sunderland's actually retired in 1967 (RNZAF MR5's)

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan ,would you happen to know what month in 1967 they were retired?thanks......Neil

This is one build I must follow, In over 40 years as a modeller, I've never got around to having a Sunderland kit-which to me is shameful. My late Uncle was one of the trustees of the RAFM'S example when it was kept at Pembroke in the 1960's and early 1970's. I'm looking forward to see how it progresses🖒

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

Hi Alan ,would you happen to know what month in 1967 they were retired?thanks......Neil

Hi Neil,

The remaining Sunderland's in the RNZAF Inventory were respectfully retired between Jan and May 1967. NZ4107 being the last RNZAF Sunderland MR5

to fly from RNZAF Lauthala Bay, Fiji, early April 1967, she was out of the water by end of April - beginning May 1967, and struck off charge May 3 1967,

thus ending the end of the Sunderland era with the RNZAF and New Zealand

4 Sunderland's were to remain as "Preserved" including NZ4115 here at MOTAT (fully functioning and flyable when presented in 1967). Sadly only

NZ4115 and NZ4108 (Sunderland in Kermit Weeks collection) remain as whole aircraft today.

Regards

Alan

Posted (edited)

Thanks Alan😊that means I was born just as they were retiring ,(early march 67).I remember seeing one parked on the Thames in the 1980's on a trip upto London.i think that must have been NZ4108.

Edited by fatalbert

brilliant - great choice of build - I keep on trying to get my hands on this kit at a show to no avail. Looking forward to watching your build progress

OK, thanks for all nice words and all informations! :) I hope I will built that model as well as I can! :)

So, there is a second part. I made interior (most important was cockpit, rest is almost completely invisible). Also, fuselage had been closed - fitting is very good.

So, enjoy! ;)

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, LDSModeller said:

"Preserved" including NZ4115 here at MOTAT (fully functioning and flyable when presented in 1967).

Restoration for display is almost complete, everything's there. The interior is stunningly complete based on the photos and video I've seen.

So, it's time for next episode. This time mainly wings, stabilizers, and so on.

Enjoy! ;)

OK, this time very short video with painting.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by jpl
I used better word.