Egyptian Spitfire, 1948, AZ Models Dual kit, 1/72nd scale

Okey-dokey...Here is AZ Model's 1948-era Egyptian Mk. IX, from the double kit which includes an Israeli version as well.  For me, this has been a groundbreaking build:

1. Probably the first Spitfire since I was about 10 years old...

2. I have started using Tamiya acrylics properly, i.e. with thinner (and it hand brushes on beautifully boys...)

3. My first attempt at pin-washing with oils.  What a difference!  I will get better...

Ok..the nuts and bolts...Tamiya Light Blue and Desert Yellow for the primary surfaces.  I masked off and then rattle can sprayed Humbrol Acrylic Dark Brown.  Masked off again after drying overnight and sprayed the tail section and the wing tips Humbrol Flat White.  Notice there is a tone difference in the dark brown came areas?  I had to best guess for some touch-ups and ended up using Vallejo Chocolate Brown with a little Desert Tan.  It wasn't perfect but I liked it.  It gave the model an element of "This is 1948 in the desert and we are using these old Spitfires purchased through arms dealers and we don't have the same shade of brown as the Brits..."

The black stripes are decal stock, cut and measured.  The radio antenna is EZ-Line and a bit of sprue. Hmm..what else...Oh yes...One flaw with this kit is the wingtips.  You have to add them on.  This is too bad, but I guess they have only one mould and they must use it for the Greek, Czech and other variants if this kit.  One tip is to not sand or saw the ends of the wings before you put the top and bottom halves together.  Do it after the whole fuselage is assembled and the tip fitting process will go more smoothly.  Is that it?

36218164790_922a9cc51d_h_d.jpg

36218163240_ed2ce2987b_h_d.jpg

36218167380_62ec650b90_h_d.jpg

36218169950_2b34a6fb44_h_d.jpg

This was a good kit and went together fairly easily.  I still need to work on my clear parts more precisely.  I can mask, etc...it still looks wonky.  Time will improve!

I have also made the decision to buy an airbrush.  I am tired of all the weird masking I need to do.  Plus, how am I going to get those great Finnish, Bulgarian and Japanese camos right without it?

--JDCM

• Like 19

Hi John,

The pics are their !  The model looks great and I like the finish of the Spitfire and unusual choice of decals used. :goodjob:

I too am going to try Mr Hobby paints, I get a little bored using Humbrol enamels although their is nothing wrong with them.

Thanks...Spadgent...

yes...for some reason they didn't load this afternoon...now they are there.

My airbrush gear arrives from Athens tomorrow afternoon...My world will change.  had a long chat with the guy at the shop and he said that I should use the Vallejo airbrush cleaner, not the thinner, to thin the standard Vallejo paints.  Interesting.  He was adamant about this.  And Windex blue to clean it out.