A Trio of Hellcats

Hot on the heels of the Hurricanes, I decided that the next build would be a Hellcat. Me being me though, I couldn't decide which one. Then I thought, why not do all of them! :D

The F6F-3 has progressed the furthest and the fuselage will be closed up tonight. The other 2 have had the basic interior green applied. All of them have had the cowlings and wings built up so far.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

Sean :pilot: 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Darby said:

They might be labelled but don't get those two mixed up.

I'm keeping the British ones at opposite ends of the box and the American one is kept on the other end of the table. Tomorrow I'll build up the Mk I and then I'll keep that with the 3 so fingers crossed I can keep up with them... Another Hellcat landed this morning and I was very tempted to add that to these three, but common sense prevailed.

The fuselage of the American is now together. Everything fitted beautifully apart from the damn insert for the oil cooler I think it is, which was a pain.

IMG_1289.jpg

Sean

• Like 4

The Mk II fuselage has now been closed up. This one had a slightly better fit than the F6F-3 although the cowling was worse.

IMG_1296.jpg 
IMG_1297.jpg

The Mk I will be done tomorrow.

• Like 3

All 3 are now at the same stage. I had real trouble with the underside insert on the Mk I and it will require some filler. Next up will be sorting the canopies then onto primer.

IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Sean,

I really like the trio ! Very good job on these.

I have a bunch of hellcat to do too, Eduard seem relatively easy.

The way I know me , I will surely make a mixed bag thing, crossing Eduard and Monogram !

I will follow the thread, popping up from time to time if you don't mind ?

Sincerely.

corsaircorp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two of the Hellcats have progressed further. Canopies and wings have been fitted, seams filled and primer applied. A few joints need some tweaks but apart from that everything is going nicely. :)

Mk I

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Mk II

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Sean

• Like 5

The Mk II is now blue. I used Revell Aqua 54 as a base colour, but added a fair amount of black, 2 different greys and some olive green to get a closer colour match. It's possibly a little dark but it's much closer to the Xtracrylix I used on a Corsair a couple of years ago.

IMG_1419.jpg

Sean

• Like 2

The Mk I has had a coat of Slate grey and the Mk II has had another coat of blue. I added some Gunship Grey to the blue and to my eyes it looks like a pretty good match to Gloss Sea Blue.

IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg 

The stripes need a bit of touching up.

Sean

• Like 2

Finished the main camo on the Mk I. I think I masked over the Slate Grey before it had cured properly, because when I removed the tape, there was a sticky residue left behind. I leave it to dry properly for a few days and then I'll see if I can wipe it off with a damp cloth or possibly micro mesh it out.

IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg 

Still, at least I got the colours the right way around unlike my Sea Hurricane... :whistle: 

Sean

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well I certainly left the paint to dry properly didn’t I? :whistle:

Anyhow, I’ve started tinkering with the Mk I while paint on the Mosquito dries. I’ve removed the masking tape residue as well as I can do, there’s still a bit there but it’ll do. I’ve also added the tail surfaces.

20191203_211830

• Like 2

Interesting aircraft you are building.  Flown by Lt Blyth Ritchie attached to 800 NAS HMS Emperor Op. Tungsten, Operations off Norway.  
08.05.44 FW190. Destroyed 800 NAS HMS Emperor Grumman Hellcat I JV132/E*F
15.05.44 1.5 x He 115 Destroyed.  Grumman Hellcat I JV132/E*F

The only Hellcat to shoot down an FW190 (although this is debated, some suggest it was a 109).  Lt Ritchie died in a training accident later in the war..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decals finished, wash applied and matte varnish sprayed on. @Greg Law the Eduard masks worked beautifully and didn’t leave any residue behind whatsoever.

20200111_212254

20200111_212854

There are still a few details to finish off but hopefully it should be completed tomorrow.

• Like 1