Great War Interviews

Viking

Not sure if this have been posted before, apologies if so.

I came across this little series a few months ago, and found them fascinating. Someone at the BBC had the foresight in the 1960's to film interviews with people who had lived through The Great War. All of them are interesting, but this one by Cecil Lewis (56 sqn SE5a, 152 Sqn Camels, amongst others)  is solid gold for us Great War aviation enthusiasts.

Check out his Wiki Entry to get a bit of background on the man first, then watch the interview (its 39 minutes long, so get a brew on) Here ->  Cecil Lewis

The others are well worth watching too. What really strikes me is that I am not much younger now, than when these folks were filmed, if you see what I mean! Those that I regarded as 'old people' as a child were from this very age bracket.

Unfortunately the link probably only works for UK based users, as the BBC restricts access to its Iplayer service.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

On 16/08/2017 at 19:10, Viking said:

Not sure if this have been posted before, apologies if so.

I came across this little series a few months ago, and found them fascinating. Someone at the BBC had the foresight in the 1960's to film interviews with people who had lived through The Great War. All of them are interesting, but this one by Cecil Lewis (56 sqn SE5a, 152 Sqn Camels, amongst others)  is solid gold for us Great War aviation enthusiasts.

Check out his Wiki Entry to get a bit of background on the man first, then watch the interview (its 39 minutes long, so get a brew on) Here ->  Cecil Lewis

Also his book Sagittarius Rising is well worth a read.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Indeed it is, got it & read it!

He was an extraordinary gentleman.

Cheers

John

On 8/19/2017 at 3:22 AM, Sabrejet said:

although he certainly fanned the flames of the PC10 debate by referring to 'chocolate' SE5as. :P

my own conclusion based on the formula is that PC10 should end up a greenish brownish olive, and that the light at that time of day (toward sunset, evening patrol) would make it look chocolate. also, Lewis wrote the passage to describe what it felt like, not as a hard and fast color reference...