HMS Queen Elizabeth arrives in Portsmouth

dolphin38

Got up early this morning to catch the QE on its entry into Portsmouth.

35772821764_69c899cd3e_c.jpg_IMG0333_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

36470093021_f3754d14fe_c.jpg_IMG0336_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

35773235534_9c286233fe_c.jpgIMGP7311 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

36562268206_959a8c580f_c.jpgIMGP7308 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

35772814644_aa108b35a1_c.jpgIMGP7317 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

35773235944_cbfc9d9123_c.jpg_IMG0396_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

35798790183_84d9792fa7_c.jpg_IMG0339_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

35798791503_5681ccf149_c.jpg_IMG0335_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

36470089501_391970e534_c.jpg_IMG0358_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Enjoy

Willy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Is that a spinnaker mast - in case of engine failure???

35772814644_aa108b35a1_c.jpg

Sorry - I'll get my coat - nice photos BTW - next to the ferry terminal ??

If I'd had more notice I would have visited my daughter in Gosport to see her (QE not my daughter) myself - my son in law owns Ashton's Cafe just opposite the Subway franchise.

Ken

• Like 2

Great pics, thanks from one who couldn't get down there today.

She's berthed at Princess Royal jetty that is near the harbour mouth & has recently been dredged, as has the channel to it, so as to accommodate her draught, does anyone know where her sister ( POW) will berth, I presume its somewhere in the same section of the  harbour )

TIA

Hmm very good:goodjob: anyone notice how empty the dockyard Naval base was one Type 45 down by the victory gate end (that place has got a name but I can't remember)....anyway that made me a bit sad but hopefully this is the start of something good. Anyone  think it can get down the KIEL CANNEL....that crew needs a good run ashore Hamburg is as good as any :surprised:

• Sad 1

I go to Pompey quite a lot and am always dismayed at how bereft of Her Majesties ships it is, even last year when all 6 Type 45s were there! Hence my question earlier, what's going to protect the 2 carriers adequately?

12 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

Great pics, thanks from one who couldn't get down there today.

She's berthed at Princess Royal jetty that is near the harbour mouth & has recently been dredged, as has the channel to it, so as to accommodate her draught, does anyone know where her sister ( POW) will berth, I presume its somewhere in the same section of the  harbour )

TIA

POW will go on Victory Jetty (where DIAMOND was today (cudos to the blokes who spent all day Tuesday getting the scaffolding off her so she looked presentable!)).

The western jetties did look a bit empty but 3 Basin and Fountain Lake have a good* number of T23s and T45s.

*good defined as there are a few there, if not necessarily enough in my opinion.

• Like 1

Fantastic Pic's. Watched her grow every day to become what she now is. Watched her being launched  and sitting in  the Forth waiting to start sea trials. NOT jealous of how close or clear the pic's are..............not jealous at all............not one bit.

NOW we just need Airfix to get their fingers out and get a kit together........maybe the government  to get their thumbs out their a**es to get the 35's sorted too .....that'd be great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtd350 said:

Fantastic Pic's. Watched her grow every day to become what she now is. Watched her being launched  and sitting in  the Forth waiting to start sea trials. NOT jealous of how close or clear the pic's are..............not jealous at all............not one bit.

Me too, but i missed her setting sail as I was down south that week - was looking forward to seeing her come back to the Forth as originally scheduled. I hope the contractors get a lift home!

She never looked that big sitting at Rosyth, but that crane tends to dominate!

I'm not familiar with the  comings and goings navy ships, but going to Normandy from Pompey next Friday- I assume she will soon be docked there.

Can anyone let me know if she'll be there still looking please?

Regards Adrian 

11 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

I'm not familiar with the  comings and goings navy ships, but going to Normandy from Pompey next Friday- I assume she will soon be docked there.

Can anyone let me know if she'll be there still looking please?

Regards Adrian 

I believe she is staying in Portsmouth for at least the next month

On 20/08/2017 at 7:10 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsmouth/shipping-movements/daily-movements?date=21/08/2017

If you want to check shipping in Portsmouth , updated after midday 

Queens Harbour master 

I'll have a  look at this, thank you for sharing the info 🖒