US Navy green seat harnesses?

Ade H

Google has failed me again. I have a set of Eduard's recent US Navy WWII steel PE harnesses (the best Eduard belts that I've yet seen, incidentally), half of which are green. They will be going into a 1945 F6F-5. I've never seen a WWII model built with green belts, so does anyone know when the US Navy started to use them? Was there a good reason to switch from the buff colour?

I just put a set into my Hase F6f-3 im not certain why the change. It would my guess that the company that made the belts either got Green material. Or maybevthe buff colored belts were to visible against the green interior ( unlikely but it was war and you never know what some one is thinking). Third guess is that the buff belts blended into the khaki uniforms and were harder to see when trying to evacuate the plane. Again just guessing but thats the only two things i can think of. Im sure someone will actually know the correct answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replying, Corsair. I don't think that anyone else knows of a date for their introduction, so maybe it's just one of those historical unknowns. I've used the buff belts to be safe.

Hello Ade ... i know you've already used the Khaki belts but for future reference look up the Naval aviation Museums F6f-5 Hellcat it has the Green belts. The -3 hellcat has the khaki belts. I found this in my Detail & scale book and the virtual cockpit tour on the Navy museums website. So either is correct. Also im certain -5's probably had them after maintence crews maybe swapping a worn belt out or parts of the whole belt system. That would make an interesting look. Combining the two colors. 

• Thanks 1

That's a good bit of research. My -5's heading for the "paint shop" very shortly, but if it's ever joined by, say, a -5n, it'll have green belts.

Thanks very much for your help, Corsair.

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 21:26, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Detail in scale Hellcat book from the 1980's ? I believe it mentions them in there.

scans of above book are here

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/26-Grumman-F6F

along with the rest of  the  series, and a load more as  well.    Very handy resource.

HTH

• Thanks 1