WESTLAND WYVERN S4 VZ749 272/E

WESTLAND WYVERN S4 VZ749 272/E

813 Squadron HMS EAGLE circa 1958

I have got to the point with this build where I think I can call it done so here is my RFI -  link to WIP below

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021066-trumpeter-wyvern/&tab=comments#comment-2716271

Kit 1/48 Trumpeter Westland Wyvern late model

Cockpit by Wolfpack Design

CMR main wheels

Wing fold break detail scratch built using kit aerofoil parts D14 -D17

Decals a mixture of kit, Xtradecal roundels and home made serials/codes

Camouflage colours Humbrol enamel 123EDSG and 90SKY

Flightpath etched Royal Navy chocks

Base a bit of grey painted MDF

Photos taken on an iPhone and colours have varied under different lighting conditions

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

The first three photos reproduce the colours accurately

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

Below - Wyvern next to the dainty Sea Hawk - both from 1/48 Trumpeter kits

IMG_5680.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, Darby said:

Very nice indeed; both of them.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, Devilfish said:

Very Nice. Strangely, I have just finished the Seahawk and I am building the Wyvern.....

Thank you both - glad you liked them

CJP

2 minutes ago, F1xena said:

Wow, the Wyvern is certainly a beast when compared to the Seahawk. It's great when there is a comparison to give some scale. Lovely looking builds. Congratulations!

Thanks F1xena nice to get feedback from other modellers

- I've seen your WIP of your model, very inspiring, I have an old Dynavector and the Trumpeter kit in my stash to be built....after my Russian period may be......I would like to see more of your Sea- Hawk ,it look a super piece of modelling...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- I've seen your WIP of your model, very inspiring, I have an old Dynavector and the Trumpeter kit in my stash to be built....after my Russian period may be......I would like to see more of your Sea- Hawk ,it look a super piece of modelling...

Thank you so much IPMS19 - the link to my Seahawk RFI on BM is here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998855-148-trumpeter-hawker-seahawk/

I have the Dynavector Wyvern to do one day too - I would also like to do a German Seahawk mark 100/101 with the tall tail sometime

not sure why the text formatted with all those spaces?

Edited by CJP

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

You've certainly captured the beast there!

Thanks for posting.

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Two of my favourite FAA aircraft. Superb job. I must find time for mine.

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Sharp looking pair. The elegant Sea Hawk meets the...Wyvern! Love it.

Thanks for the feedback

• Like 1

What a super build of one of my all-time favourite aircraft! A very nice touch there parking it next to your elegant Sea Hawk too. It really shows off the Wyvern's raw, aggressive look. Did you use the crazy gearbox setup for the props that Trumpeter provide in their 1/48 Wyverns?

I saw a colour profile of one of these mad looking brutes in an old Purnells 'History of War' series book back at an impressionable age in the early 70s and have had an unhealthy obsession with contra-props ever since! :wink:

5 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

What a super build of one of my all-time favourite aircraft! A very nice touch there parking it next to your elegant Sea Hawk too. It really shows off the Wyvern's raw, aggressive look. Did you use the crazy gearbox setup for the props that Trumpeter provide in their 1/48 Wyverns?

I saw a colour profile of one of these mad looking brutes in an old Purnells 'History of War' series book back at an impressionable age in the early 70s and have had an unhealthy obsession with contra-props ever since! :wink:

Thanks Gazontipede glad you like them both - yes I did use the gearbox but I only turned the props carefully as it is a bit tight on my Wyvern - I have it in my display case now to keep my clumsy fingers and the dust off it so wont be an issue hopefully.

CJP

43 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Lovely job on a beast of an aeroplane, the FAA colours are perfect for modelling and some of the best on any aeroplanes flown IMHO.

appreciate the comments thanks

42 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Lovely model and a masterclass build thread. One which will be my main reference when I get round to mine. Beautifully done!

Thanks Simon - hope it helps

• 2 years later...

Looks great!
A couple of questions, if I may?
I am currently building the Trumpeter 1:48 version of this.
1) Interior colours: Cockpit and wheel wells, etc. I am seeing some saying aluminum, some saying black, and some saying grey.. Any suggestions or insights?
2) Wing tips. I see pictures with the tips of the wings also folding.
I see you did not do this. Possibly as the documentation shows very little info on this? 
Also insights are sought and appreciated.

Thanks !

Edited by Maurice William Hilarius
Correction of spelling

6 hours ago, Maurice William Hilarius said:

Looks great!
A couple of questions, if I may?
I am currently building the Trumpeter 1:48 version of this.
1) Interior colours: Cockpit and wheel wells, etc. I am seeing some saying aluminum, some saying black, and some saying grey.. Any suggestions or insights?
2) Wing tips. I see pictures with the tips of the wings also folding.
I see you did not do this. Possibly as the documentation shows very little info on this? 
Also insights are sought and appreciated.

Thanks !

Hi Maurice

I used the 4 Plus Wyvern publication which lists the following colours for the Wyvern -

cockpit interior - Black, I used a weathered black like Tamiya Nato Black.

Wheel wells - interior of wheel wells & undercarriage doors is sky.

Undercarriage legs and wheel discs aluminium.

The folding wing tips were deactivated on airframes subsequent to VZ791  - as far as I know the Wyverns with the reinforced metal rear canopy did not have folding wingtips - maybe 71chally can verify this.

CJP

Edited by CJP
edited text re wing tip folding

A nicely finished Wyvern. An interesting plane, short lived and apparently not popular with the pilots. I built this about a year ago and have recently finished the Seahawk.

The Wyvern was a large plane and dwarfs the Seahawk. 

• Thanks 1