HMS Invincible Air-Group 1982

littoralcombat

To introduce my-self, my name is Nige and my specific area of Model Making interest is the construction of 1/72nd Radio-Controlled Warships. My chosen subjects, are Royal Navy vessels that took part in Operation Corporate 1982. I have a few on the 'Slipway' that will keep me occupied for a fair while, but am planning on constructing HMS Invincible R05 later.

The build itself will not begin for some time yet, but following the six 'P's principle, "Proper Planning Prevents P*#s Poor Performance", and to give myself an incentive, I have begun acquiring her Air-Group.

Given the knowledge that exists within this Forum (and seeing the success the Gentleman had with a similar request for information on Hermes' Aircraft recently) I have joined-up to ask for help with info on Invincible's Aircraft.

Regarding the Sea Harriers, I think I have identified the Aircraft aboard on 18/19th May 1982 as follows, a total of Ten, but am not sure of the 'Side Numbers', can anybody verify or correct as appropriate?

801 XZ493 001

801 XZ495 003

801 ZA175 ?

801 XZ498 002

899 XZ451 100

899 XZ456 ?

809 ZA174 ?

809 XZ491 ?

809 XZ491 ?

809 ZA190 ?

Regarding the Nine 820 NAS Sea Kings, I think I have the 'Side Numbers', but need the matching Airframe ID's:

820 ? 010 

820 ? 011

820 ? 012

820 ? 013

820 ? 014

820 ? 015

820 ? 017

820 ? 018

820 XZ918 020

XZ574, but which 'Side Number'?

Apart from the above, did she have any other Helicopters aboard 18/19th May? I read somewhere that she may have had a Wessex assigned for a period of time.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Nige

Need to check Falklands:The Air War for the helicopters, but for the Harriers, Nick Greenall (Harrier SIG Leader) did some very comprehensive research into that, with side numbers. I'll dig it out and update your list!

Xtradecal actually produced a sheet that enabled you to do any Falklands FRS1, so that has details too

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72073

Edited by Dave Fleming

According to FALKLANDS, the AIR WAR, the original Sea Harrier force of the 801 Squadron comprised of 8 as follows:

XZ493  N/001

XZ495  N/003

ZA175  N/004

XZ498  N/005

XZ451  VL/710

XZ452  VL/711

XZ456   - /713

XZ453  VL/715

In April, the code letters were deleted and the side numbers were changed as follows:

XZ493  - /001

XZ495  - /003

ZA175  - /004

XZ498  - /005

XZ451  - /006

XZ452  - /007

XZ456  - /008

XZ453  - /009

Then in May, the following 4 Sea Harriers from Atlantic Conveyor joined the 801 Squadron/

ZA174  - /000

XZ491  - /002

XZ458  - /007 (replaced XZ452)

XZ190  - /009 (replaced XZ453)

Regarding the Sea Kings of 820 Squadron, the code letters were deleted and the side numbers were changed to two-digit in April.

XZ920  - /10

ZA127  - /11

ZA126  - /12

ZA134  - /13

ZA128  - /14

ZA135  - /15

XZ574  - /16

XZ921  - /17

XZ918  - /20

XZ578  - /21

XZ573  - /22

Cheers,

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1

Thanks Jun, much appreciated. I didn't know there were eleven Sea kings in 820 NAS. I had been planning for nine.

Having said that, allowing for Aircraft in the Hangar, or flying on my chosen days (18/19th May), I will probably have a maximum of maybe seven or eight on-deck.

I think I need to add 'Falklands-The Air War'to my collection of books about Op Corporate.

Nige

4 hours ago, littoralcombat said:

Thanks Jun, much appreciated. I didn't know there were eleven Sea kings in 820 NAS. I had been planning for nine.

Having said that, allowing for Aircraft in the Hangar, or flying on my chosen days (18/19th May), I will probably have a maximum of maybe seven or eight on-deck.

I think I need to add 'Falklands-The Air War'to my collection of books about Op Corporate.

Nige

You are welcome Nige.  FALKLANDS, the Air War is a must for everyone who is interested in the air war in Falklands.  Some used copies are available at around $20 from Amazon,com. It is a real bargain. 

Jun in Tokyo

More questions for the Forum, regarding mobile plant. How many Aircraft towing Tractors would Invincible have had onboard in 1982? Also, has anybody got details/ drawings of the Mobile Crane. What colour would these machines have been painted, did they retain the yellow or were they toned down to reduce visability?

What other plant was onboard, such as starting carts, oxygen charging carts etc?

Nige

Tractors 81 RN 73 and 81 RN 80 were on Hermes she had at least 3. So you can eliminate them!

pictures taken on return to the UK suggest Invincible had 4 tractors.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/hms-invincible-falklands-1982/

Another vehicle seen was a forklift

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 4 weeks later...

Can't speak for Corporate era (I was in Fearless at the time, not on a flat-top), but during my Ark time in 1986-88 she had 3 tractors, 1 crane, & 1 fork lift on deck (plus assorted Sidewinder trolleys, bomb trolleys, torpedo trolleys as required), compressor wash rigs, hydraulic rigs, wheeled extinguishers etc etc as required), and another tractor and fork lift in the hangar, plus a Lynx "mangler" (mechanical handler).  Obviously it wouldn't be hard to move these things from hangar to deck or vice versa, but given the speed with which Invincible was sailed in April 82, my guess is that she had a pretty similar fit.

Thanks EX-FAAWAFU, all useful info.

Questions regarding the Mechanical Handler. Was it used for both SHARS and Seakings? Why was it referred to as the "Lynx Mangler"? 

So a lot of flightdeck equipment to be included, along with Crew. I am looking to use the two Fujimi USN sets as a start point for figures.

Nige 

10 hours ago, littoralcombat said:

Thanks EX-FAAWAFU, all useful info.

Questions regarding the Mechanical Handler. Was it used for both SHARS and Seakings? Why was it referred to as the "Lynx Mangler"? 

So a lot of flightdeck equipment to be included, along with Crew. I am looking to use the two Fujimi USN sets as a start point for figures.

Nige 

Used on both mainly on the hangar deck.

Used on small ships flights and RFAs

On 18/08/2017 at 15:52, Junchan said:

You are welcome Nige.  FALKLANDS, the Air War is a must for everyone who is interested in the air war in Falklands.  Some used copies are available at around $20 from Amazon,com. It is a real bargain. 

Jun in Tokyo

Just butting in here :-)  BARG, who published Falklands - The Air War, have recently been digitising their magazines and other publications.  The DVD which covers 82-88 has this book on it.  Available for 20GBP from http://bargdvd.co.uk/shop/ if you prefer an electronic version.  That DVD also had all the monthly magazines for that time which include a wealth of information.

Al.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Didn't realise they were still around!

As a group I don't think they are.  It's been done in partnership with Scramble so maybe just a core of the BARG guys.  They make for fascinating reading, and much easier than digging all those blue binders out from the loft!

13 minutes ago, littoralcombat said:

Very interesting, I reckon that would be 20 pounds well spent.

Nige

I have both that have been so far released, a veritable mine of information.  They're all PDFs but you can search across all the magazine issues for things like serials, places etc.

Al.