1:72 Hobby Boss A-7K

Since when has a modelling project gone to plan???

After the codes and numbers were received, I noticed that the actual aircraft numbers were different than I thought. My mistake. Fortunately extras were supplied and  I was able to make the changes. They appear as AF/80 0292 rather than AF/80 292. Some careful modifications with a sharp Xcto. The panel lines did not take too long to complete and I will have to clean up a few here and there.

9uNG3WZ.jpg

RubnBuff pewter for the inflight refuel panel.

u4MdQdq.jpg

And a few more photos from my collection of Corsair details.

yJlHnwF.jpg

CWnsKPY.jpg

Note chain on Nose Landing Gear, you don't want some hoodlum stealing your SLUF!!!

7EBPbIT.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

...  the actual aircraft numbers were different than I thought. ...  and  I was able to make the changes [to the decals].

Well shoot! :rage:

Nice recovery.

Gene K

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final matte coat applied and just the usual small bits to add, next update should be in Ready for Inspection forum. It had been a while since I did any serious airbrushing and I was not totally happy the end result but I will soldier on. Doing a bit of work of the Zoukei Mura F-4C, thus the second image shows some 1/48 detail on the kit seat.

zjJ5BO3.jpg

75UfCXO.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Saved from the proverbial "shelf of doom". My recent airbrush upgrade has given me the push to reboot this project which sat a number of months unfinished and left me with a feeling of doubt because some colours were not what should be. The EasyOff came out again and enough decals to bring this to a close. Back to the initial scheme of two greys of the Iowa Air National Guard 124 TFS out of Des Moines. Some errors on the XtraDecal sheet were disappointing. One crest on the right forward side is twice the side it should be and the one provided on the left side was for the wrong Iowa unit, the 174 TFS.

Just the usual bits to add, doors, wheels, tailplane and sorts. I had two photos of this aircraft, both sides but different time periods, one showing a satin finish and little dirt while another a matte finish with some dirt accumulation. I chose the matte finish effect.

it2UnVm.jpg?1

I will have more of the final reveal and a link here to the Completed forum.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, Gene K said:

How did this beautiful Chameleon end up?

Disappointingly not much further than shown in the last picture. After many years of trying to avoid "shelf of doom" projects and staying focused to the end, parts of this model got the better of me. I thought I could correct some of the problems with the intake and exhaust pipe areas with their squashed look. The wings are very thin and look like nothing more than scribed pieces of plastic card. Maybe I am too hard on myself and my expectations but I was given help with the build by you and felt somewhat like I let you down.

Now it still sits in my modest display case as a reminder to think projects through properly and continue to be realistic in my skills.

Craig

I feel your pain.  I too, worked through many years developing skills.  Then I fell into the bottomless pit of endless detailing, etc.  I was burnt out eventually, and staid pretty much out of modeling for around 20 years -- time I can never get back.  Now I build models that I enjoy, to a level of detail that suits each model's purpose, most without much detailing i n the landing gear wells, etc., because my models sit in a case and are rarely handled  --  unless I take them out now and then to photograph for a "way-back" machine type of thing.

I encourage you to build what yoy like, and perhaps relax the demands of perfection a bit.  After all, it's supposed to be a hobby -- not an obsession!

Good luck

Ed

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, baldwin8 said:

I thought I could correct some of the problems with the intake and exhaust pipe areas with their squashed look.

I also gave up on that typical HobbyBoss half-a$$ molding. That kit was one of my most anticipated new SLUFs. Saved me a lot of money since I didn't order the truckload I anxiously anticipated. :rolleyes:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1