1:72 Hobby Boss A-7K

I've been encouraged by a respected member of this forum to provide some of my work for others to see. The last number of years I've struggled to finish and complete a kit. My building started in the 70's and the 80's and 90's, completed many and reaching a quality level that I was really pleased with. I have a good feeling working on this kit, I do see the finishing line relatively speaking.

The LTV A-7 aircraft has been a favourite of mine for some time. And 2 seat versions of normally single seat aircraft as well a favourite. Yes the Hobby Boss Corsair has its warts, but I don't really see another on the horizon any time soon. My local hobbyshop had only the TA-7C available but it did include all the parts to build as an Air Force version. The South Dakota Air National Guard is one units markings I've admired with the Mount Rushmore art on the top of the tail. Those markings  are included on a Xtradecal release.

One aspect of the kit I disliked were the numerous rivet/screw details engraved everywhere. Most were filled with Tamiya surface primer, leaving just a hint of a few here and there that will show slightly after painting and weathering. The boarding ladder and steps will be made. I viewed the main wheels as a bit thin looking, so I sandwiched  plastic card between the halves. The ejection seat seemed rather narrow and I've started to adjust it with Milliput.

My work keeps me from progressing everyday and I am not sure how many installments I will have but my goal is to show my completed work in the finished model section.

eSTHhJK.jpg

RUBVpUR.jpg

DFa1Qwx.jpg

GZr16hn.jpg

• Like 8

I really like the Hobby Boss A-7 despite its odd shape in areas.  Built a couple so far and they look great completed.

Go for it and have some fun!!

Phil

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2017 at 7:15 PM, baldwin8 said:

. I have a good feeling working on this kit, I do see the finishing line relatively speaking.

You should -- coming along great. :wink: How did you level off the Tamiya Surface Primer while filling the rivets?

Thanks for the progress report, Craig. Hopefully you'll have time to post as you go along.

Gene K

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 5:03 PM, Gene K said:

How did you level off the Tamiya Surface Primer while filling the rivets?

Most of my work is done with a few tools that I can do about %95 of my modelling. The 400 wet/dry with a piece of sturdy plastic foam to back it up works well to tidy up my seams and filler. The sanding boards from the make up section at drugstores  or department stores. The dividers and 6 inch steel rule have been used endless times. A lot of money can be spent on every tool advertised but I think most modellers have the skill to make the simplest tools fit the job.

The fairing for the cannon does not give the blended-in look of the actual detail so milliput with more grey filler helped it along. A small point with the decals, the "South Dakota" script on the tail is different than when I photographed some of their aircraft in the late 80's as shown in my ref photo but I will go with the decals as provided.

NtcuaUl.jpg?1

8OLaDEN.jpg

• Like 2

A small investment for my color slide/photo collection, a scanner. I am adding 2 images taken by myself in 1988. There will be more added to this project in the coming days. Working on the intake but now debating scratching an intake cover.

rAtPB52.jpg

tLisKII.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A diversion for my Ksair. My plan was to use the markings of the South Dakota ANG but the Xtradecals seem to have an error as to not providing opposing greys for codes and numbers. I will use the Des Moines IA unit instead. Both reference pictures I found of the aircraft show the paint as matte finish.

The intake will be covered with a typical soft type made with milliput. As well notice I used .015" plastic on the leading edge to give them a slightly beefier look.

A little more fill work on some seams and checking the panel line scribes before priming.

The Reidair publishing of the A-7 is a great reference and answers many questions about the details.

2HLJ8Uw.jpg

pDeZTYF.jpg

The raised panels on the kits were sanded flush as I thought they were a bit over done for this scale.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to applying primer and fitting of the front windscreen. My hopes for a smooth final fit of parts were ended when I saw how poor fitting the front windscreen was. More sheet plastic were needed before attaching the clear part. Small lights are present on the K model behind the canopy, the bases of there 3 lights were glued and sanded slightly. Landing gear doors and avionics panels which are opened will be thinned down for the better scaled appearance.

jxERh3n.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Primed, first coat of grey and darker grey being applied in phases. Using tacky putty as boundary masking so will complete in 2 or three sittings to keep putty from getting knocked off. Very fortunate to find online photos of both sides of the actual aircraft for reference.

7YRzWmd.jpg

• Like 3

The weather has been record setting heat and humidity but I managed to finish up the main paint. Although still a couple of touch ups are due. The nose radome and anti glare  black are next. White for the steps and zinc chromate for avionics panels.

Ie9bj08.jpg

• Like 4

A disappointment for me today. The markings provided are just too light coloured, as you can see very little contrast in greys. I thought I was close in matching the reference colours, I do feel the mistake was with Xtradecal as there are other colour errors on the sheet.

Really not sure what to do.

Exut2x3.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Really not sure what to do. [about the decal colors]

Well, I know a guy ;) who could cut some stencils for you. All he'd need is a high resolution 100% scan of the markings you need. Exercise that new scanner!

We can work out details via email.

You could also scan the decals, adjust the colors, and print on decal paper.

Looks like you have a really fine collection of beautiful pictures you've taken.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

I've never let a hiccup get in the way of completing a model too many times. Refocused on procuring new markings and now planning to complete in South Dakota ANG SEA wraparound. Not the first or last time I used the EasyOff to reboot. It nicely took the paint down to the Tamiya primer. Tamiya does not do the FS numbers I need so I am mixing to get a decent match. XF-57 lightened about 1/3 with white gives a close match for the tan.

U6i4qnE.jpg

• Like 3

Although the stripping and repainting was somewhat of a setback, it was the only way to ensure the completion of this kit. The SEA wrap scheme I always found somewhat tedious depending on the method of masking. I chose a combination of tacky putty and heavy paper masking to get the slight feathered blending of colours. The dark and olive green look was done with Tamiya XF27 Black Green and XF65 Field Grey. Some minor touch-ups and painting of avionics and wheel wells remain.

4eZBOXC.jpg

The modelling community is filled with many helpful individuals willing to go out of their way to provide assistance in many ways. :thumbsup:  An offer was made by member of this community which helped me salvage this build, I am very grateful. This build and painting in particular has been an excellent primer for the next project after this.

A special gift to help complete the markings.

qVhvYE5.jpg

Pushing ahead, thank you for comments and support.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Too bad about the setback but you SEA camo looks real ncie! Well done pulling it off. And I have to say I love the shades. :)

I like Tamiya do many shades of green, they seem to come close in my opinion. The Buff XF-57 may be a bit light but I picked up the Deck Tan and I think it may match a bit better just slightly lightened.

17 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

As it happens I've just received one of these in a trade deal and will be watching with close interest!

It has some good qualities, landing gear is nicely detailed. The rivet holes didn't take too much too fill. There is a mold seam on the canopy that requires  blending.

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Looks excellent, so your "tedious" effort paid off!

Painting a couple of sections at a time so I didn't end up bumping or moving the masks. For 1/72 I still prefer a fine feathered edge to give the perception of blending colours.

As I said a good primer for the Zoukei Mura F-4C coming soon.

Thank you for looking in.

Repaint completed, gloss with Future (still using it for many years) and panel accenting with india inks.

The decals are starting to go on and very little stenciling provided but the basics are there.

9Y481du.jpg

I find the India inks can really stick if applied to less than a really gloss surface. I use a combination of burnt umber and black, mixing and thinning with water.

NuDIdgq.jpg

I have started on the Zoukei Mura F-4C and working side by side.

• Like 2