Nordair Lockheed L.1049G

Paul J

My next one will be this. Been waiting for an opurtunity to get on with it and will start as soon as poss.

010_zpsevjhkb4g.jpg

WHiskey Jack decals will be used. and have started sounding out some pics from the web to help.

• Like 2

Great choice Looking forward to this  

Martin H

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I might have to keep an eye on this one too, I'm getting a taste for classic airliners in 1/144 scale. :)

Steve.

Come on Steve I'm sure Cliff would like to see another Multi 

Made a casual start with this one. Juggling with the Texan in one hand and this... All good fun!

IMG_2003_zps9nauvhmv.jpg

Fuselage insides primed and glazing fitted. Shame all these will be sanded over and filled as the Nordair ones have a different window arrangement and fore and aft freight doors on port side!

IMG_2004_zpsqpn9wdyf.jpg

Nose wheel bay.

Just came in from the shed with more pics of progress on the Connie.

IMG_2014_zpsmgnachjr.jpg

Some filler around some windows. And some panel lines as there will be cargo door outlines to be represented.... in decal form.

IMG_2015_zps32xqhgeu.jpg

Four radials!! Lovely stuff.

IMG_2016_zpstn74l1fg.jpg

The four blank looking discs about the middle of the pic are the prop retainers that poke through the engines from the rear but all four were absent. o Not going to worry about sticking these in and will find another means of fitting the props.

IMG_2017_zpsg3yyp9vg.jpg

All four motors in progress.

IMG_2018_zpsmuftxc9r.jpg

Here, I hope you can see from the rear end, opened up exahust ports done with a 0.60mm drill.

• Like 3

A fair bit doen now.Sirpassing ny 48th Texan at the moment.  

All filling of windows done except the emergency hatches( I presume they would be the same ). Some priming and top coating of sub assemblies and some major assembly work done.

Pics:

IMG_2040_zpsb6v5xo49.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsp5smfguq.jpg

Tailplanes temporarily fitted to test fit.

IMG_2043_zpstweydayc.jpg

IMG_2044_zpshg9fmc6b.jpg

Wings fitted inplace and some masking tape stretched across to help get the right dihedral when set...hopefully

IMG_2045_zpsolazlbq5.jpg

Engines with top intakes ready to be fixed inplace

IMG_2046_zps6uqwoh9s.jpg

General view of various parts still on frames primed and top coated.

SInce this last pic the tailplanes are nice in bare metal paint and waiting to be fitted after decalling is done as it will be easier to get the fuselage decal placed without the tailplanes.  I'l be working on getting all the props painted up, tyres painted while still on sprue. Also all the main gear and doors are also al piairbrushed.  Makes it easier to do for tiny 1/144 parts this way I think.

I need to do a bit of research in figuring out the actual window arrangement from pics on line, as the decals are printed as mirror image and incorrectly handed as they are on the decal sheet.

• Like 1

Cheers for comments. More pics now from work done the last couple evenings...

IMG_2048_zpsibzqarsj.jpg

Masking and following grey primer work, aluminium airbrushed on.

IMG_2049_zpstp2nkdgf.jpg

Fin outer faces in blue. Its closest I can get to the cheat line colour .Not spot on but will do.

IMG_2050_zpsd7e4snsy.jpg

AK paints Dark Aluminium applied overall with Xtracrylix Silber for the light greyish shade.

IMG_2051_zpsbrpilu4k.jpg

IMG_2052_zpszhl7aln5.jpg

Some of the masking coming off...

IMG_2053_zpsdq2vcp2n.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsmxj3wdeh.jpg

The exposed windows are the escape hatches. I left these as I reckon they would be quite standard to all Connies.  I'll cut away the decal over these windows near to the end but the main cabin windows will be the declals.The main passenger windows, like a lot of airliners seem to vary a bit. The decals of the windows show the difference when compared to those of the kit but do match up with photos of Nordair Connies I have found on line. Also, The kit cockpit windows look far too tiny. I may have to see what to do about those as there is not a greta depth from top to bottom to play with if Iresort to the decla sheet cockpit windows.

IMG_2055_zps6c6alugr.jpg

IMG_2056_zpsx4mgy1nq.jpg

Thee parts still need to be fitted to the crank caes on the engines. One already in place. I still need to see what I am going to do about fitting shafts for the props when I get to that stage which will be at the end.

IMG_2057_zpsl6g3gd8n.jpg

A 'collage' of pics I printed off to use as my references.

Thats it for now but just to keep up to date, earlier this evening I started the decal application... Its looking smart... stay tuned...

• Like 3

Liking the look of this a lot. I've since bought a kit, actually the MATS boxing but the same plastic from what I can see from online sources, & a set of Whisky Jack decals for the Canairelief aircraft that flew on the Biafran air lift. These were ex Nordair planes so the colour scheme won't be too different from yours. I think. Carry on while I keep looking over your shoulder please. :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Nice to see that a 'sister' ship may be joining in! You're lucky to have that set. Sadly the real ones all met sad ends either being blown up crashing or ending up as cafe/bars.

One of the Canair Relief ones had the entire topside in a blue shade. So that would make an interesting contrast with mine.

Hope to get a lot more done over the coming weekend with a view to finishing it before I go on holiday to.....

Canada for a forthnight early September!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2017 at 01:35, stevehnz said:

Liking the look of this a lot. I've since bought a kit, actually the MATS boxing but the same plastic from what I can see from online sources, & a set of Whisky Jack decals for the Canairelief aircraft that flew on the Biafran air lift. These were ex Nordair planes so the colour scheme won't be too different from yours. I think. Carry on while I keep looking over your shoulder please. :D

Steve.

By the way, all those windows will probably need filling as the layout is different on the Nordair / Canair Relief ones compared to TWA etc.

• Like 1

Update with some colour to its form added:

IMG_2058_zpsrepg9shy.jpg

Opening phase of the decalling process..

IMG_2059_zpsbmalkxcc.jpg

The above two pics show what was done Wednesday evening. While below, Friday nights efforts...

IMG_2060_zpsjx8ghame.jpg

Work done to main landing gear while waiting for decals to settle. They are taking longer than expected to settle and dry.

IMG_2061_zpsfuojpz00.jpg

Cargo door detail form the decal sheet. Needs to be located pretty accurately . I nearly left in the the wrong position ...too far aft and too high! Also, I filled some of the recessed panel lines of the kit in approximate position of the freight door during early stages of the build; and it worked out OK. The wrinkling of th decal is due to decal solution stuff.

IMG_2062_zpslmsr9m8v.jpg

And this is where I am tonight. I could get carried way and complete the decalling in one go almost but the threat and strong possibility of dislodging or damaging any of the items is there so patience is needed.  The forward freight door fits perfectly between to vertical panel lines and the angled 'horizontal one, of the kit thus ensuring correct placement. 

• Like 4

Final build pics:

IMG_2060%202_zpslyl7t7lt.jpg

I added the light grey painted areas aft of the engine nacelles as I could make the grey out from the colour picssI have seen. Thye are there forthe exhaust staining... which I will try subtly when final touches occur.

IMG_2061%202_zpsvpmfk0er.jpg

IMG_2062%202_zpsvhhk30og.jpg

Not sure which reg to use yet.

IMG_2063_zpsu6rsrf8h.jpg

An underside view..

IMG_2064_zpsownowzkr.jpg

Nose doors in place with 'blue wedges form the decal sheet that completes the under nose sweep of the blue trim.

IMG_2065_zpsgrskzh0i.jpg

Main gear doors waiting to go on.

IMG_2067_zps7k53qf4w.jpg

Props all ready for fitting as final items. But still need to find suitable shafts for them to locate them in place...

IMG_2068_zpserzlcd8l.jpg

The square left over decals are for the underside freight/ baggage doors. But I am not sure where they go exactly. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions??

IMG_2069_zpshh8z7kvu.jpg

Final decals now going on. Here the fuselage reg  is on. The size and font not quite accurate according to the many pics of real ones, on line.

IMG_2070_zpsq3ohndrz.jpg

I opted for CF-NAJ as the last three are in anagram form of the first three letters of my surname...

• Like 3

Final build pics part 2:

IMG_2044_zpspxhxv8x0.jpg

Found a solution for the prop shafts... wooden cocktail sticks. I found them to be about the right diameter with a little shaving and cut to a suitable  length. I just pushed the short pieces in to the engine fronts and the pushed the props on to them very carefully to avoid snapping blades... although one di.

IMG_2054_zps1cftun4w.jpg

This pic is used to explain the blue decal that wrapped arond the nose underside. Being as the decal is very thin and a bit opaquish for colour the baremetal paint showed up darker than where it lay over the white. It shows up in one of my earlier pics. To overcome this I overpainted it with Humbrol roundel blue as the closest match to the decal. In fact the blue of the decal does not match any of the colour photos on the web sadly. But I hope it looks OK to you all.

Rest of finished pics over in Gallery and some different ones in RFI.

Fit wise re the kit , generally pretty good. Just to demonstarte, the engine cowls and tail planes are oush fitted in and not glued! The main wing to fuselage join was Ok but neds tape or something to ensure you get the dihedral right. Its my second Connie kit from Revell, the first was done as the VC-121E.there are some pics of it in BM archives somewhere but I don't have the model any more.

• Like 2

That is a very nice build Paul and I hadn't noticed the metallic paint showing through the decal until you pointed it out. My list of wants for Civil Airliner kits keeps growing and this has gone on there now. 

• Thanks 1