Airbus A400M low level

wheezi

Some shots I've taken since the A400M got low level clearance.  Various locations in Wales.  She's now cleared for 150ft I believe.  Hope they're of interest, she's an amazing sight, and the way she's thrown about is simply amazing.  I'll be sad to see the Herc go, but I think this is a fitting replacement.

DSC_2614

DSC_2636

DSC_2623

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Those are very  nice indeed. I've not seen that tail marking before.

I think the Herk will be around a while yet as (some/most/all?) will be having the wing box replaced due to fatigue problems.

Trevor

• Like 1

Great to see the Grizzly at low level and brilliant pics. Nice to see the Pegasus on the tail,.... just a pity that the type isn`t cleared to drop British paratroopers yet,..... unless this has changed recently?

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tonyot said:

just a pity that the type isn`t cleared to drop British paratroopers yet,..... unless this has changed recently?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony.  Not sure on paratroopers, I suspect not, I believe the whole project is behind schedule due to serious 'teething' issues early on.   From what I've seen, it looks awesome, handles great and the sound is just amazing. 

• Like 1

I like the first shot with the bloke looking down on the wings!

I can't believe it's over twenty years since I blagged my way onto the mock-up at Farnborough and it's only just going into service...

Cheers 

Will

• Like 1

Just coming back for another look and to save my jaw drop again..  On closer inspection those nose wheel door hinges look rather hefty and industrious don't they!!  Also, the upper wing roundels are quite a way out. Further than I would imagine.

• Like 1

Part of the delay with the paratrooping clearance was the fact that Airbus didn't listen to the nation's parachuting experts when the design was being finalised. There's been a lot of "We told you that wouldn't work" going in Airbus's direction over the last couple of years.

Another requirement of the spec was for it to be able to fly low level on autopilot so there's a possibility that no-one in the cockpit in those shots  has their hand on the side stick. (They're braver than me if they are).

• Like 2

Terrific shots. One of these flew over out village (well, alright, half a mile away) at fairly low level last year. It has the most distinctive sound of any aircraft that I've ever heard.

John.

• Thanks 1

Wheezi,

Equally nice shots...........I dare say this looks very impressive going through the valleys. We had a Armee de l'Air example do a fairly cheeky departure from Tallinn International Airport last Friday......I suspect partly to comply with the local civil aviation noise regulations although the Estonians really don't mind military aircraft beating up the city......provides some reassurance during these tense times. It was some way off from our balcony and one of my colleagues thought it was a C-17 (another regular visitor) until we heard 'the sound' !....as others have said, quite distinctive.

• Thanks 1