Tamiya Pz.Kpfw.II - First kit

So here it is. My first model. 

As an introduction to the hobby, I think it was a good first choice. I have a lot to learn but it turned out better than I was expecting when I set out.

hIQVXC6.jpg

lIWKkhr.jpg

Yz2sIAl.jpg

3vLKF2I.jpg

Pm9cRne.jpg

So there are a couple of things that I am taking away from this first experience.

1. Watch out for mould lines. Especially on the tools and barrels.

2. Fill gaps or sand to get a better fit.

3. Make sure the whole model gets airbrushed and maybe look to highlight. I feel my panzer grey is too dark. The chipping barely shows up.

4. Learn to do decals better. Most disappointed in the decals. The eagle eyed will notice one has even been scraped off.

5. Learn how to paint wood.

6. Don't be so zealous with the pigments. (In fact, I might clean a few spots on the hull after seeing the photos up close.)

Anyway, any further aspects I should look out for? Feedback is most definitely welcome.

Edited by mikeron
Extra point on pigments
  • Like 4

Nice start  Mikeron and :welcome:, your build looks very nice. I will just mention if you apply some weathering pigments to the top of the tank. You can rub any excess off with a brush and will blend in nicely to the running gear, your weathering on the running gear looks very nice, after a hard days blitzkrieing across Russia.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice start  Mikeron and :welcome:, your build looks very nice. I will just mention if you apply some weathering pigments to the top of the tank. You can rub any excess off with a brush and will blend in nicely to the running gear, your weathering on the running gear looks very nice, after a hard days blitzkrieing across Russia.

Thanks for the feedback. That's what is putting me off about the pigments. I was thinking I had too much but I just need to blend the hull in better. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikeron said:

Thanks for the feedback. That's what is putting me off about the pigments. I was thinking I had too much but I just need to blend the hull in better. 

I tend to liberally dorb it on leave it to dry then with a stiffish brush rub the excess off, for a wet look I use gloss varnish it leaves a wet look. sometimes the weathering doesn't show up to well in pictures, or that may just be mine.

• Thanks 1

Good build and youve already noticed the things you need to improve on. For decals i always use a coat of future floor polish after paint. Not exactly sure the equivalent in the UK but someone here can probably give you the correct british equivalent.The FP Can be brushed on as i do that myself. Let it dry for about 24 hours it has the ability to self level so dont worry about that. Then apply the decals. When they are set and dry coat again with the Future FP. It has the ability of giving a satin to glossy finish. Then do you're weathering. At that point if you want  to give it a satin, flat, or gloss coat depending on the effect you are looking for. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments people.

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good build and youve already noticed the things you need to improve on. For decals i always use a coat of future floor polish after paint. Not exactly sure the equivalent in the UK but someone here can probably give you the correct british equivalent.The FP Can be brushed on as i do that myself. Let it dry for about 24 hours it has the ability to self level so dont worry about that. Then apply the decals. When they are set and dry coat again with the Future FP. It has the ability of giving a satin to glossy finish. Then do you're weathering. At that point if you want  to give it a satin, flat, or gloss coat depending on the effect you are looking for. 

Yeah, I used the Pledge floor polish. Bought a bottle from the States. Unfortunately, I only waited 3 hours for it to dry before using Micro Set / Micro Sol so that's what I'm putting it down to so thanks for the tip. Do I have to wait for the Micro Set to dry also before using the Micro Sol? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeron said:

Thanks for the kind comments people.

Yeah, I used the Pledge floor polish. Bought a bottle from the States. Unfortunately, I only waited 3 hours for it to dry before using Micro Set / Micro Sol so that's what I'm putting it down to so thanks for the tip. Do I have to wait for the Micro Set to dry also before using the Micro Sol? 

That's a very good first attempt, I'm looking forward to seeing you're next subject.  :yes:

With decals, I apply Micro Set to the tank's surface, place the decal and once I'm happy it's accurately placed I mop up any excess with a cotton bud (rolling from the centre of the decal outwards). Then I wet it liberally with Micro Sol, taking care not to move it again. I know some modellers let the decal dry out before applying Micro Sol, but I prefer the method I've described. 

Edited by Bill.B
Spelling!
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bill.B said:

That's a very good first attempt, I'm looking forward to seeing you're next subject.  :yes:

With decals, I apply Micro Set to the tank's surface, place the decal and once I'm happy it's accurately placed I mop up any excess with a cotton bud (rolling from the centre of the decal outwards). Then I wet it liberally with Micro Sol, taking care not to move it again. I know some modellers let the decal dry out before applying Micro Sol, but I prefer the method I've described. 

Thanks for the help. I will try the cotton bub approach the next time as patience is not my strongest virtue.

Mikeron ... i have the micro set/sol products. I only use micro set as ive found the sol can irreversibly damage decals ( ask me how i know ). I will use the set for decals. I brush the area on the model with it after soaking the decal in very warm (bath water warm) water for 15-30 seconds. I find constantly replacing my water after it begins to cool down also. If the decal is stubborn/older/or from an unknown source. By definition an unknown source to me is swap meet or hobby show as you have know way of knowing how they were stored. Personally when i buy a kit. The first thing i do is place them in watertight sandwhich baggies. I then place them in a file set-up for that specific model ie aircraft, armor, what have you. They stay flat and dry that way. I will also brush the Micro set on the decal paper for stubborn ones. For me it helps loosen the stubborn glue. Once i get the decal exactly where i am happy i use the edge of a paper towel from the kitchen to wick away excess moisture. I find a cotton ear bud can leave fibres. What with all the minutia of things hanging on a tanks surface can be happen very easy. If there is still excess fluid i lay a sqaure of paper towel over it and let it absorb naturally. if the decal moves & i need to move and/or re-center it i wet my finger with the warm water and move it that way. I will only use the Microsol if i absolutely need to. For instance a decal that just refuses to release from the backing paper, but i run the risk of destroying the decal. Its a balancing act. Hope this helps. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added
  • Thanks 1