Heller 1\100 HMS Victory

I was hoping to do a review of this kit but I can't seem to so I will try and do a sort of one hear.

First of all I brought this one from my sort of local model shop and it was cheaper than online.

The part count is enormous at 2107 pieces and opening the big and heavy box you are presented with two hull halves and four sail sheets then there are four bags of spures  and two spures  of decks and one miscellaneous bits and then there are two insruction sheets one French and one English and they could do with an update see the pics to understand why.

The mould quality is good for a thirty year old kit with no visible flash.

And finally there are two reels of thread.

But I have not heard anything bad about this kit.

So for the price of the kit it is worth the money.

And there is a lot of scope for lots of added detail,but mine will be out of the box build.

And i have already started on painting the hull halves.35754821854_daaf7ce0c0_c.jpg36581886065_7f17ce74f3_c.jpg36443998441_a42dec380d_c.jpg36443983991_310a416056_c.jpg35746631714_be986c6da1_c.jpg36581834495_3e2ee1f823_c.jpg36581827925_4f605a62ba_c.jpg36535376856_5dcfb818c6_c.jpg36581808005_9eb041b78d_c.jpg36581798045_cab3ec0fbf_c.jpg35772251233_f7663ee66c_c.jpg

• Like 5

have you had a look at the stern decoration , mine had really bad push mark's in it , took age's for heller to replace it , and it was only marginally better . I also have the Imai instructions , which are superior , if you are interested , they are in Japanese , but the illustrations , are more in depth . PM me if you are .

steve5

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

have you had a look at the stern decoration , mine had really bad push mark's in it , took age's for heller to replace it , and it was only marginally better . I also have the Imai instructions , which are superior , if you are interested , they are in Japanese , but the illustrations , are more in depth . PM me if you are .

steve5

My stern decoration seems OK I can only fin one tiny push mark and as for the instructions pm sent

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steve5 said:

don't know if you have heard of dafi  , peter . but his stuff is amazing . he has some gear which is custom made for the victory , it's expensive , but well worth while , 

http://www.dafinismus.de/plates_en.html

you should also have a look at his build's of the victory , quite simply it's incredible .

Thanks but a little beyond my pocket at the moment but some good stuff.

Good start. Brave chap! I have always thought this kit is about the finest plastic kit ever made.

The Dafi sets are sold individually so whilst you'd need over EU200 to buy them all, the pace at which most people will build a kit like this means you could easily spread the costs over several months as you reached different stages in the build. You might not even need all of them- some sets are certainly aimed at super-modellers- for example I wouldn't want to try and carefully remove and replace all the gunport rigols without damaging the fine moulding on the hull!

Will

• Like 1

hi and good luck with this build - I have one of these for my retirement as it looks like a kit that will take me a long time - I really struggled making sense of the instructions and put the whole kit away after investing heavily in a lot of Dafi's etch and other resin bits (entry doors, figure head etc), wooden deck etc.

looking forward to your tutorial walk through as your build moves along - perhaps it will inspire me to consider making my kit a few years sooner....

• 3 months later...

looking good so far. I had to get Airfix to send me new instructions as the set I received were unreadable. They were very good and did so immediately. Like you I cannot afford expensive/much aftermarket, so all i have done is buy some decent thread/ropes from the online wooden model ship shops, - huge difference for little expenditure.

I followed Mr Coleman's tips (I'm sure you've found his web page on building this kit) and used a more yellow ocre colour. As I cycle past the real thing to work every day, I agree with your assessment of the new "historical" crap about the terracotta colour currently being worn. Mind you, as a priority if they really want to play the historical card, perhaps they might want to put the topmasts back up! 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2017 at 08:09, peterairfix said:

Before I carry on can any one tell me if my yellow bands look to wide I think they are but I would like a second or third opinion.

Peter, sorry i missed your post ? this is how i did my bands, and yes i stayed away from the pink

mhZqZbk.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 12:21 AM, Caerbannog said:

Accorcing to the restorers the shade was quite different: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11908365/Restored-HMS-Victory-raises-eyebrows-with-new-pink-shade.html

A bit hard for me to change my image of the victory from the yellow to the "terracotta" colour.  :-)

Nice build so far.

Rene

Well, the actual pigment used "back in the day" WAS yellow ocher. The one Kevin just posted looks about right to me, but these natural pigments could vary a lot. The one thing it wasn't likely to be was bright yellow; I haven't gotten to this stage with Surprise yet...

Nice work so far, either way.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...