Airfix North American Mustang IV 1/72

I have wanted to build a Mustang for quite a while, and I picked this one up discounted at Hobbycraft.

Its built straight out of the box and was a pleasure to build, apart from the control column and aerial which everybody seems to break and the flimsy undercarriage which I struggled to get looking right and I'm still not convinced. in hindsight I would have built it wheels up which I tend to prefer anyway.

Anyway here she is for you perusal and comments good and bad welcomed.

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

I had high hopes for this one but due to my impatience to get started (I painted the prop and spinner black), a couple of silly mistakes and a wobbly undercarriage this one went from being amazing, brilliant in my eyes to just being OK. That said my thanks go to Plastix and JohnD for their advice and encouragement.

I wonder how many modelers have ever built a model that they are truly pleased with. anyway put that one behind me and on to a Revell Harrier Mk 7.

Thanks for having a look.

• Like 20

Despite the faults it's not turned out too bad. I've broken the control column on all of mine so far and all of mine had slightly wonky landing gear too. You have missed the other obvious error with the kit and that's the drop tanks. The tanks had a very obvious horizontal ridge running all round the tank, the Airfix kit is the only one I remember not having this feature, therefore the best place for the tanks is in the bin, to be replaced from the spares box. I still say the Tamiya is a better kit in every way apart from the flaps are moulded into the wings. The Airfix kit might be cheaper and easier to find here in the UK but you can get the Tamiya ones very cheaply from HLJ.

thanks

Mike 

Nicely made!

I built this a few months ago and yes the aerial and control column were MIA - memo to Airfix to sort out your sprue gates.

Other than that I found it to be a great kit. I didn't use the potlets included as I had rattlecans and masking tape.

One final thought, I'm glad that you have two eyes on yours, as despite lashings of Decalfix mine is monocular :undecided:

Trevor