JET PROVOST COLO(U)RS

Hi Folks,

I have recently finished the excellent Airfix A02103 Jet Provost T3 kit. It is in awaiting in my "Paint Shop" for minor sanding, filling etc. I'm going to finish it in the lovely overall CFS red finish as I've got some spare CFS badges and blue numbers in my spares folder. What would be the correct finish as I have the following colo(u)rs available?

Humbrol Gloss Red No. 19    Humbrol Signal Red No. 174  Xtracrylix XA1014 Red Arrows Red.

I'm sure fellow BM'ers could assist with a recommendation as I'm sure some served at RAF Little Rissington. Cheers guys:D

albamac (Frustrated Norseman)

There is (was?) a great Jet Provost website called the "Jet Provost File", however sadly this site seems to have been archived. http://archive.is/hWXpk

It may have moved elsewhere so if someone knows they may direct both of us to its new location.

I recently built my Jet Provost T.4 (with minor conversions from the basic T.3 kit) as XP573 (49) in the earliest Red Pelican's overall Dayglo Red scheme of circa 1963. I believe that this colour was changed to a deep Red shade at approx. 1965-66. All the good information was in this website, which unfortunately does not seem to appear.

IMO - Humbrol 19 may suit best. Signal Red 174 is a little lighter and if XA1014 is a good match for the current Red Arrows, then this may be a tad on the bright side.

I'm no expert when it comes to reds, so hopefully your question will start the ball rolling so that you can then make an informed decision.  

Cheers and good luck... Dave.  

• Like 1

I think Humbrol No.19 may be a bit dark. A brighter red would be more apt. But weren't the Red Pelicans one dayglo-ish? Incidentally Airfix have boxed this kit in their gift pack range as a Red Pelican kit complete with the serials and CFS fuselage tiles and badge.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

If the tip tanks have silver, it's the dayglo scheme. If all red (like the Airfix starter) it's just red (I beleive the same post office red as the roundels

Prior to the Silver tanks (with dayglo strips I believe), an overall Red Dayglo finish was applied to the whole airframe.

This is confirmed in the following youtube video that I must have watched at least 100 times !

From what I have discovered, this is the 1963 scheme, before slight changes to the tip tanks took effect for the 1964 scheme.

The Jet Provost scheme from the famous Red Pelicans / Yellowjacks 1964 display did have the Silver / Dayglo strip tanks by then.

+ 1 for Bar Sides Dominie and white base theory above. This is what I use as well to enable a clean and vibrant finish.

Cheers... Dave.

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Prior to the Silver tanks (with dayglo strips I believe), an overall Red Dayglo finish was applied to the whole airframe.

This is confirmed in the following youtube video that I must have watched at least 100 times !

From what I have discovered, this is the 1963 scheme, before slight changes to the tip tanks took effect for the 1964 scheme.

The Jet Provost scheme from the famous Red Pelicans / Yellowjacks 1964 display did have the Silver / Dayglo strip tanks by then.

+ 1 for Bar Sides Dominie and white base theory above. This is what I use as well to enable a clean and vibrant finish.

Cheers... Dave.

Good find - the other pointer to that is the ;lack of 'titling' either side of the roundels (and the 6 aircraft rather than 4)