I couldn't believe my ears

Truro Model Builder

Coming back to the point briefly, as Troy Smith asked, did matey explain his view?  He is indeed entitled to it, after all, and people on this forum simply bellowing "NO!" at each other is hardly an answer.  It's groupthink.  If you learned what he thought, who knows, you might even hear something that makes you think again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T7 Models said:

Well, that was a surprise.

There was me thinking that I'd just recount a happening in which somebody expressed an unusual opinion to me and I was happy to offer a counter opinion, and what do I read?

I was going to say that I didn't know you were in the shop when this gent was there, Dan, but then I re-read it and realised that you weren't. So let me go through the salient points once more.

He asked for die cast aircraft, telling me he does not make kits, so unlikely to be interested in BM. Specifically he was looking for a Mosquito, and though I do not sell die cast I was quite happy to have a look on some of the appropriate websites to see if there were any available and where he could find them. There were not, so I suggested he take a look on eBay, but be prepared to pay more than he might like. So I went out of my way to help somebody who was never going to spend money in my shop, as I am always happy to do when I get inquiries about model railways, R/C etc. (good service- shocking)

That was when he started to talk about some of the models he has, and the way he was describing some of them led me to the conclusion that he was not hugely knowledgeable about the subject. That was when the Hurricane came up. His exact words were "Hurricanes were for wimps. Don't like it. Much prefer the Spitfire." I was surprised, and it showed. I then asked him why he thought that, and he said that the Spitfire was better and the Hurricane doesn't look as good. I said that during the Battle of Britain the Hurricane could outperform the 109 and the Spitfire in some circumstances, and that it had a number of advantages over the Spitfire, including being a much more stable gun platform and the strength of the airframe and its ability to absorb damage. It was overtaken by development, but it still remained in service throughout the war.

He admitted he hadn't known that. He also thanked me for my help (more good service) and left the shop with the knowledge that obtaining a die cast Mosquito may be a little more difficult than he was hoping.

Did I mention any unfriendliness? No.

Did I mention that he left the shop on a sour note? No.

Let me make it perfectly clear to you, Dan. I would not for one minute bad mouth -or slag off, as you would put it- a true customer or -like this gent- anybody who might be a customer. And if you really think I would throw somebody out of the shop I suggest you look up the definition of the word 'sarcasm' or even 'humour'. I have a lot of patience, even when I have somebody in the shop who has no intention of spending money but is instead spending half an hour out of the rain explaining to me in great detail what they did in Florida last year. You try working in retail and see how long you can smile and be nice for.

Do you feel you can be the judge of good service as you spend a fortune on your hobby? Well, what you consider to be good service may not be somebody else's definition, my friend, and I assure you that I give the same level of service to somebody who brings a stack of kits to the counter as I do to somebody who comes in for one tin of Humbrol paint to touch up their garden gnome with. And I do not get complaints or bad reviews. 

Comments like yours make me just want to close down my membership of BM, to be honest, Dan. Seriously, they do not paint YOU in a good light. Or as you say, maybe I should just keep it all to myself and just post platitudes on RFI threads. Not opinionated ones, obviously.

And definitely not cringe worthy ones either.

You carry on, if you feel that you have to leave BM over this then you carry on, personally I think that would be a tad childish.

my point is that in the past you have commented on several customer experiences that you have had (timewaisters who buy nothing and people who smell of cigarette smoke  come to mind and you were quite cutting on those threads  ) like I said sometimes it's best to keep those opinions to your self and not post publicly on a forum for all to see, most people do not want to read it TBH.

As you have pointed out I'm no retail expert and I'm not qualified to comment and now I'm not in good light, so you carry on and fill your boots fella , I wish you all the luck in the world Martin 

• Mike locked this topic