Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB 1/72

Hey Guys,

So speeding along now! Built my first aircraft about 2 weeks ago (though uploaded much later here) and now here i am again having finished Airfix's lovely little Typhoon bubbletop.
Construction was on par with Tamiya - that being you just shake the box and the bits fall together. The only real issue I had was fitting the fuselage halves together but considering I'm new to this game I'm sure its my inexperience rather than the kit!
I painted her with Hannant's brilliant Extracolour range enamels which with a beautiful gloss finish prepared the surface nicely for the decalling stage.
Weathering was simple, I thinned raw umber oil paint and ran it into the panel lines before wiping away. I coupled this with some basic metal chipping with Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium.

Compared to my last (and first) aircraft build which was the Spitfire, I think I've come on a few steps and I'm quite pleased with the finish!

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Edited by The_Lancaster
  • Like 47

8 minutes ago, The_Lancaster said:

It is indeed! I do build armour though so i'm not going in as a complete novice :banghead:

Glad to hear it.  Otherwise I'd be tempted to give up after about 40 years' worth of building!

• Haha 1

What a super little Tiffie, it really looks the biz!

Be careful, first one aircraft, then two... Next thing you know you'll be building lots of things with wings! :wink:

How did the decals go? Good adhesion, no silvering? The invasion & wing leading edge stripes look like they have to go over a fair bit of surface area. I know that today's Airfix decals are a far, far cry from those of antiquity, but they look challenging to my dodgy old eyes. What did you think?

Also, does anyone know what the personal emblem on MP126 is? The burning Nazi eagle I get, but what does the straight white diagonal line & associated bits climbing out to the left represent?

This is a kit I've been umming and ahhing about getting for a while, I think you've made up my mind for me! And so the stash keeps growing.

Edited by Gazontipede
  • Like 1

After some googling I believe the emblem is a burning German eagle being struck by a Typhoon rocket. Airfix show it as a white rocket, other sources show it black. 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/001c.jpg

Some more info in this article that the image came from. 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/airfix-hawker-typhoon-mk1b-dc-review

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, your google-fu is mightier than mine! I couldn't find anything useful.

Saw this kit on Fishpond of all places so I snaffled a copy tout suite. I may try detailing the decal as per the scalmodellingnow image with a super fine black marker when I get it. Or not. We shall see!

Then the real challenge will be to make it look half as good Sam's here!

• Like 1

I've got this kit too, mightyape in my case I think. :) I've not looks at it yet but am quite taken by that emblem so will probably do it OOB but like you think a black rocket is more in keeping. The 1/24 model was going to use Eagle Editions decals. I wonder where their info came from? It'd be good to see a photo of it, they must be out there. I too doubt my ability to equal Sam's effort, a top job. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...