Ecuador T-33 - calling Latin experts!

RidgeRunner

Does anyone out there have a definitive list of the T-33/AT-33s operated by the FAE. I am interested in the early serial range only. For example "AT-799" is a known machine. I ask because from the only image I can find of an operational T-bird in the old scheme and serial system it depicts "TF-868", which is listed on the web as an F-80C! Does anyone know the truth?

Thanks.

Martin

• 1 month later...

Thanks mate but, yes, that's a well trodden path now. Details of these machines are pretty scarce :(. I have an operational photo of what believe is TF-868 but, as I said, the records show that to be an F-80. I just want proof before I put cement to plastic.

by the way, that first image is Colombian.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone out there have the "Latin American Military Aviation" book by John Andrade (1982)? If so, does it include the T-33 with the various operators?

Thanks,

Martin

Martin,

Dan Hagedorn would be the man to answer your question, if anyone can, but I don't know if he visits this site much. Hopefully he will see this and offer his wisdom; from what I have read about him, he's forgotten more about Latin American  Air Forces than the rest of us know. You might try contacting him at the site listed in the link I have attached below.

Mike

http://www.museumofflight.org/user_area/content_media/raw/dan_hagedorn.pdf

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone out there have the "Latin American Military Aviation" book by John Andrade (1982)? If so, does it include the T-33 with the various operators?

I was about to mention that title too. I don't have it, but I checked 'Militair 1982' by John Andrade, and it lists:

"About a dozen are active. Call signs include AT-707, AT-799, AT-919 and FT-872/52-1872"

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, RidgeRunner said:

that first image is Colombian

Thats the wording used in the search for you..Blew past Ecuador and gave you any T-33 !

The Aviation Hobby Shop ( West Drayton) published a book with South American Air Force fleet lists serials etc. "Foreign Military air arms to Europe" 1980,which I have . It only lists Transport a/c and Jaguars. It mentions the Ecuadorian A/F numbering system.. All prefixed FAE and part of the number is based on the a/c's construction number...

Thanks bzn20.... I'll keep trying ;)...  The numbering system you describe is the modern one. At the time of I am thinking about it was prior to this. At that time they used a weird system that must have had reason but I can't see it! ;). See my Meteor entry for an example of how weird it was: 

the Meteors had a FF-xxxx Code and then a "40xxx" tail number. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

RR,

I've looked through my record cards and can find nothing on these FAE T-33s but may be able to add a bit nevertheless.

First T-33s supplied to FAE arrived in the period October-December 1956 - just four machines were delivered and this seems to have been the status quo until more aircraft arrived in the mid-60s. FAE therefore had low utilisation rates and there were between 2 and 3 aircraft declared serviceable at any time during this period. By 1963 the fleet was flying just 227 hours a year.

Next deliveries comprised two further T-33s in late 1964 and another pair in the following Spring. USAF/MAP records show that 3 or 4 more were delivered by the end of 1965 and the FAE declared a dozen delivered (which agrees) up to 1971.

The serial number issue is simple: initially all aircraft carried the 'last 3' digits of the USAF serial (not the construction number), either as FT-xxx, AT-xxx or FAE-xxx. 

Later (I'm assuming 1970s/1980s or even later) the FAE adopted its own serial number system, which re-allocated the surviving T-33s in the s/n range FAE-600 to FAE-640 (or maybe even into FAE-650 etc). Later deliveries from Taiwan considerably increased to FAE T-33/AT-33 fleet.

So to answer your question I looked through record cards for USAF T-33s with 'last 3' of 868 and managed to remove a number as unsuitable (e.g 52-9868 which was lost at Chaumont on 31 January 1959 (not 22 Jan as Baugher states) etc) and I strongly suspect that 'your' 868 is/was USAF s/n 53-5868. Unfortunately I don't have the record cards for this batch so cannot confirm 100%, though other 53-FY T-33s served with FAE (53-5722/FAE-722/FAE-630 being one), so it does make sense.

Rather annoyingly I cannot find the s/ns of the first four T-33s delivered but suspect that they were 53-FY.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

not the construction number

Aren't USAF serials EG 53 the fiscal year ordered, the next four, in this case in the sequence in the construction number built to that fiscal (tax year) year they were ordered ? Except for Secret aircraft that were spread across several fiscal years to confuse.

Hi SJ, 

A great summary. Thanks for that. much appreciated.

sorry but I've unintentionally been misleading. the prefix is TF- not FT-. The machine in question may well be TF-808? Any thoughts?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner