This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Finnthedude

Lancaster Crew Radio Recordings.

Finnthedude    203

This was posted on my football forum (Stoke City) and I thought it would be something that would be appreciated here as well. Quite an amazing listen and some nice artwork in the video too.

"I can read my watch in the searchlights", "I'm watching everything", "Could do with a pint".

Nothing but respect for these lads. I would have been bricking it, I doubt I'd be able to speak.

Finnthedude

Skodadriver    1,835

I respect the bravery and sacrifice of those involved and it was a disgrace that Bomber Command did not receive a campaign medal.  However there are legitimate questions to be asked about the military and moral justification of area bombing.  It should never be forgotten that in the space of a week in Hamburg alone the Allied air forces (mainly the RAF) killed 42,600 civilians compared to the 28,500 killed by the Luftwaffe in London during the eight months of the blitz

Greg B    1,191

Any questioning of the military and morale judgements/decisions made can only be asked of the persons who made those decisions, whilst bearing in mind the doctrine, cultural norms, technology  and information available to them at that time. I would suspect that those decisions were not taken lightly and treating fatalities as some sort of scoring table is never a way to win wars. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As for moral justification, having spent a few of my formative years based at Bergen-Belsen, the moral high ground is littered with potholes to trip the unwary.

Vince1159    1,807
Posted (edited)

Fascinating to listen to and no doubt the decisons weren't taken lightly but didn't they build factories in built up areas,don't forget they used Rotterdam basically as target practice plus you have Hiroshima and Nagasaki....

Edited by Vince1159

3DStewart    238

Those who criticise the strategic bomber offensive should consider the alternative if it hadn't taken place. For certain the war would have lasted much longer with a big increase in military and civilian deaths on the eastern and western fronts. Would that have been a better moral outcome?

spruecutter96    461

This is a great tribute to the very brave individuals on both sides who fought and died to further a cause. In an ideal world, mankind would have no need to fight wars and disputes would be settled by other means. 

I salute the men who fought, so that (hopefully) future generations will not have to. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correct a typo.