Tamiya vs Fujimi 1:20 Tyrrell P34's.

TBC

I am familiar with the Tamiya 1:20 Tyrrell P34 kit. The Fujimi kit allows one to build a different version of the car but how does it compare in terms of fit, detail, cleanup, etc? Is it worth buying?

I can't compare P34s, so I can only compare their other output more generally. I wouldn't have stuck my oar in, but no-one else has yet.

My first sample of Fujimi's F1 kits (a 126C2, circa 2007) has slightly disappointed me. From opening the box onwards, I've not had much love for it. Don't get me wrong: it's OK in the big picture of modelling, typical of Fujimi, and it will be OK when I'm done, but it is not a Tamiya. It doesn't feel quite as neat as what Tamiya could do in the '90s; the fit is not as good in a few key places, so it needed some good ol' fashioned modelling skills; and it has poor decals.

However. You're looking at two kits with a big 35 year age gap; maybe this Fujimi effort is sharper with better decals. Some of them have some in-box reviews (not usually very insightful) listed at Scalemates, so I'll leave you to do some reading.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A20&topic=Tyrrell+P34

I've fought shy of coming down off the fence, though, because I can only answer for me. If I had the Tamiya kit and I was happy with my build, I'd keep my money for something else entirely for greater variety. Preferably with good decals!

Hoping that this helps somewhat.

Edited by Ade H
Summary

• 4 weeks later...

I too haven't seen the Fujimi kit close up so won't comment on its qualities. I built the Tamiya one over 30 years ago and thought it better than me then! I have two awaiting their turn now. I would say that they can still spruce up very nicely.

From a purely motor racing history point of view the 1976 car is surely more interesting than the late '77 car when it was clear that the project had no future. The late season 'radiator-nosed' car especially; for me that will always be associated with the tragic accident at Fuji. 

Thanks guys. One thing is for sure and that is the fact that the Tamiya kit requires lots of prep work, clean up and filling of sink marks on many parts for a good result.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my answer now that the HLJ order arrived this morning (with the lovely Ebbro Lotus 49, too). It's pretty clear to me that the Fujimi late version P34 is superior in terms of detail and quality of plastic.