Harrier ZD379 Retirerment flight

twp1

I'm looking to complete a 1/48 Eduard Harrier GR.9 as ZD379 when flown in the Harrier retirement 2010.  Could anyone clarify what colour scheme was carried that day?  Was it the all over light grey or the 2 tone scheme.  

Also, it would be helpful if anyone could tell me if the centre line weapons pylon was fitted

Thanks

Edited by twp1

8 hours ago, twp1 said:

I'm looking to complete a 1/48 Eduard Harrier GR.9 as ZD379 when flown in the Harrier retirement 2010.  Could anyone clarify what colour scheme was carried that day?  Was it the all over light grey or the 2 tone scheme.  

Also, it would be helpful if anyone could tell me if the centre line weapons pylon was fitted

Thanks

Overall med gray...with a few patchwork panels

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iain,

Find a copy of the old AIRframe decal sheet which will have all the details and decals on it you need; if in doubt PM me for more info.  The full details needed for ZD379 are:

ZD379 had the pilot’s name FLT M ROBERTSON in black lettering applied to the starboard side of the nose underneath the cockpit sill.
A replacement port LERX and both tailplanes were Dark Sea Grey on the upper surfaces and Dark Camouflage Grey on the undesides. The starboard aileron was also Dark Sea Grey on the upper surfaces and Dark Camouflage Grey on the undersides.  The tailplane sealing plates - know as ‘Bacon Slicers’ for their reputation of removing fingers - were Medium Sea Grey top and bottom on both sides. 

ZD379 had the 65% LERX fit, with Pink and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on the port side, Red and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on the starboard side LERX.  Both engine bays had Red and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on them.

The leading edge protection erosion tape on the fin, both outer wings and both tailplanes was new, so on both wings it was clear outboard of the wing fence and on the fin and tailplanes leading edges was clear -  use Clear gloss varnish.  The tape on the inboard wings was discoloured. 
No fuselage centre-line pylon was carried.  The starboard BOL rail was Dark Camouflage Grey, the port BOL rail was Medium Sea Grey; both were empty.  The rear fuselage on both sides was very heavily stained by the exhausts; in fact it almost looked to have been painted sooty black!

Out of interest, why ZD379?

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2017 at 5:37 PM, NG899 said:

Hi Iain,

Find a copy of the old AIRframe decal sheet which will have all the details and decals on it you need; if in doubt PM me for more info.  The full details needed for ZD379 are:

ZD379 had the pilot’s name FLT M ROBERTSON in black lettering applied to the starboard side of the nose underneath the cockpit sill.
A replacement port LERX and both tailplanes were Dark Sea Grey on the upper surfaces and Dark Camouflage Grey on the undesides. The starboard aileron was also Dark Sea Grey on the upper surfaces and Dark Camouflage Grey on the undersides.  The tailplane sealing plates - know as ‘Bacon Slicers’ for their reputation of removing fingers - were Medium Sea Grey top and bottom on both sides. 

ZD379 had the 65% LERX fit, with Pink and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on the port side, Red and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on the starboard side LERX.  Both engine bays had Red and Dark Sea Grey ‘NO STEP’ markings on them.

The leading edge protection erosion tape on the fin, both outer wings and both tailplanes was new, so on both wings it was clear outboard of the wing fence and on the fin and tailplanes leading edges was clear -  use Clear gloss varnish.  The tape on the inboard wings was discoloured. 
No fuselage centre-line pylon was carried.  The starboard BOL rail was Dark Camouflage Grey, the port BOL rail was Medium Sea Grey; both were empty.  The rear fuselage on both sides was very heavily stained by the exhausts; in fact it almost looked to have been painted sooty black!

Out of interest, why ZD379?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Plenty of detail for me to use, just what I needed.  Simple answer in why ZD379 is that the kit comes with decals for it.  The instructions present it in the temporary winter camp applied for exercises in Norway but I didn't fancy that so once I found that ZD379 had taken part on the final flight I thought that would be a good way to go.