North American B-25 C/D Mitchell: color of engine cowlings interior

PhilChris

Hi all,

I am currently building Accurate Miniatures B-25 Mitchell, in its "Dirty Dora" scheme and I have not been so far able to find out what color the inside of the engine cowlings were... My best guess would be some sort of grey but if anyone here has the answer I would be very gratefull!

Cheers,

Christophe

Edited by PhilChris

1 hour ago, PhilChris said:

Hi all,

I am currently building Accurate Miniatures B-25 Mitchell, in its "Dirty Dora" scheme and I have not been so far able to find out what color the inside of the engine cowlings were... My best guess would be some sort of grey but if anyone here has the answer I would be very gratefull!

Cheers,

Christophe

This link should answer your question.  

Mike

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

3 hours ago, PhilChris said:

Thank you Mike, this answers the question nicely (and I am glad that I painted the aft portion of the airplane "Chromate Yellow", as I have seen them painted interior green as well...)

Christophe

Christophe,

I also stumbled onto a color photo of the B-25 Inglewood assembly line that shows a complete engine assembly and cowling being installed; you can see that the cowling and cowl flap assemblies were painted with yellow zinc chromate before assembly, so would show on the inside surface after the exterior was painted. Scroll down to see the photo. These appear to be early B-25's, as evidenced by the exhaust arrangment; I have seen factory photos of the same engine/cowling assemblies in bare metal without the zinc chromate primer, so maybe late war production and especially those versions delivered in natural metal might have dispensed with the primer. Maybe Dana Bell can shed some light on this subject.

Mike

http://www.aviation-history.com/north-american/b25.html

• 2 weeks later...

Found in Finish specification for B-25J

"Aluminium & Aluminium alloys

FA 23: Engine compartent surfaces, parts & members : one coat of zinc chromate primer"

may be same for early models?

Edited by BS_w