1/72 Airfix Dambuster

Some pictures of my new tool Airfix Dambuster done some time back.

Did a little updating in the cockpit, belts and such. Drilled out the intakes , added dorsal window from clear acrylic rod, added wing tip lights from acrylic sheet.

Overall an enjoyable and great fitting kit. The plastics was really soft that made scribing of the dorsal plug panel line for the removed turret challenging. 

Hope you enjoy the pics.

All the Best!

Don

uyvVkiJ.jpg5av3tIz.jpg5HNU8gP.jpgZatyMon.jpgDxENLrT.jpgspxHsY7.jpg

Edited by DJJunis
misspelling corrected
  • Like 56

Awesome ! did you use pre cut masks or do it the old fashioned way ? Either way what a great model ! 

Cracking example - you must be really pleased with this one.  It's amazing how even the smallest of alterations/additions can make a big difference to the end result - well done, mate.

Regards

Dave

That looks good.  Well done for not going overboard with "weathering": the Operation Chastise Lancasters were factory-fresh; for example S/L Henry Maudslay's ED937, AJ-Z had less than 10 hours on her when she came down on the way home, having been delivered on the morning of the attack.

It looks like you're as challenged for production floor area as I am, so I hope your Lancaster has a decently-sized display parking area: she's worth it.

2 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

That is a fantastic Lancaster, the paint job looks brilliant!👍 I'm putting off building my Revell 1:72 Lanc as I brush paint and don't know if I could do the camouflage justice. 

If you've not already done so go and get yourself some nice soft chisel-edged or "flat" paintbrushes that'll still easily fit in the top of your paint tins (a bit difficult if you use Xtracrylix and some other brands with narrow openings unless you decant the paint).  You can still get all of the irregular curves of RAF camouflage on using different widths of brush but remember to make the final strokes in any area either fron to back on wings, fins and tail planes or top to bottom on fuselages.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Nice build. I like the subtle exhaust stains. Thinking of adding some to my build but fear I'll mess it up. What method did you use?

Bodmin I did mine freehand with my freshly cleaned airbrush, first grey then a dirty black slowly building up the colors . Of course this was after a nice single malt to get the nerves in check and looking over as many pictures I could find in my resources. Hope this helps!

Don

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

That looks good.  Well done for not going overboard with "weathering": the Operation Chastise Lancasters were factory-fresh; for example S/L Henry Maudslay's ED937, AJ-Z had less than 10 hours on her when she came down on the way home, having been delivered on the morning of the attack.

It looks like you're as challenged for production floor area as I am, so I hope your Lancaster has a decently-sized display parking area: she's worth it.

Stever you are correct. I actually have switch my 4 engined bombers to 1/72 because of this limitation. I do have a few Tamiya Lancs in the stash but I have no idea if I will ever build them. As you mentioned the Chastise Lancs were quite "clean" . Thanks for noticing...most would not have noticed that little detail.

All the Best!

Don

5 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Very nice work, nice and neat. Good work on the canopy and like the added details. Exhaust stains not over the top. Did you follow the kit instructions for the wing assembly?

Thank you Tomoshenko...I did use the the method in the instructions..it was OK not a big problem.

All the Best!

Don

All,

Thank you all for the kind words I really appreciate it. The Lancaster is very special to many of us. The Dams raid in particular.

I'm glad you feel I did it justice. I hope to do another two or three in the future. 

I hope to put some pictures of my latest completion, 1/72 Revell B-17F, up in the next few days. 

All the Best!

Don

21 hours ago, FLCH said:

Awesome ! did you use pre cut masks or do it the old fashioned way ? Either way what a great model ! 

FLCH

Thanks for the kind words.

I did it the old fashioned way...rolled the blue tack to about 1/8" diameter then followed the camo pattern. Filled in with tape and liquid mask.

All the Best!

Don

18 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Bodmin I did mine freehand with my freshly cleaned airbrush, first grey then a dirty black slowly building up the colors.......

Cheers Don. I'll have a practice run before deciding on whether or not to take the plunge. Oh and I'd better give the totty a miss otherwise paint will be all over the place.