Matilda MK.III/IV - Finished

Carius

• 1 month later...

Another amazing build Carius; thx for all the pics.

Question: what product(s) and tools are using to attach those tiny photo etch parts? Not a cement smear or smudge to be seen anywhere! 

Regards,

Robert

On 15/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, Hewy said:

Really does look like a super kit and your doing it total justice, great stuff

Glynn

Many thanks Glynn.

On 16/10/2017 at 12:18 AM, Ian said:

Still watching, still taking notes !!

Ian.

Ian, I thank your interest in this project :)

On 16/10/2017 at 5:06 AM, Bullbasket said:

Details are looking good Carius. What did you use for the tubes on the mortars? Is it brass tube or did you roll them from brass sheet?

John.

Thanks John. Yes, it is brass tube from Voyager detail set.

On 16/10/2017 at 5:20 AM, PlaStix said:

That really is looking excellent!! Superb work. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, I thank your kind comments.

Cheers from Brazil

On 16/10/2017 at 8:12 AM, FrancisGL said:

Welcome back, pretty look for work in!!, :popcorn:, cheers Carius :yes:

Many thanks my friend.

Cheers :cheers:

On 16/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, clive_t said:

A very neat build :thumbsup2:

Thanks for looking Clive.

On 16/10/2017 at 2:50 PM, AgentG said:

Very nice, waiting for paint now.

G

Hi G, thanks for looking :thumbsup2:

On 16/10/2017 at 5:34 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice going Carius.

Thanks Ozzy 

On 16/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Ceithearn said:

Another amazing build Carius; thx for all the pics.

Question: what product(s) and tools are using to attach those tiny photo etch parts? Not a cement smear or smudge to be seen anywhere! 

Regards,

Robert

Hi my friend. Thanks...I only use a very small drop of slow dry cyanocrylate, a tweezer and a headband magnifier.  But the periscopes frames I attach with tamiya extra thin cement (believe or not :D).

Kind Regards

Cesar

Edited by Carius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting thread but be warned, the French published artwork should not be totally trusted.  The series has many colour and patterning errors.  The desert Matildas were painted in Caunter patterning from mid 1940 until October 1941 when the scheme was cancelled.  The surviving Matildas were reorganised into Tank Brigades and repainted in plain Light Stone No.61.  Some units then applied locally devised mottled or very rough banded patterning in 1942.  This didn't last long as they were KO'd or backloaded for refurbishment and repainted the correct single colour again.  The darker artwork shows a UK based Matilda finished in SCC.2 brown which became the basic colour for all vehicles and AFVs in UK from mid-1941.  Please note that blue was NOT used in the Caunter patterning, the Tamiya colours are all wrong and the pattern is not correct and in addition one section of colour is missing altogether.   I saw that a section of the post showed a Dorchester ACV, my earlier comment. apply to that too.

• Like 1

For those unaware who Mike Starmer is.....

http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer.htm

Starmer1%20caunter.jpg

some more info on British armour colours

http://www.mafva.net/other pages/starmer camo.htm

there are Tamiya mixes if you need them here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1252022924/The+complete+Mike+Starmer+Acrylic+Paint+Mix+Database

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, Jim Wasley said:

Great eye and skill for detail,this is looking Superb Cheers.

Many thanks Jim. You are very kind too.

6 hours ago, Mike Starmer said:

An interesting thread but be warned, the French published artwork should not be totally trusted.  The series has many colour and patterning errors.  The desert Matildas were painted in Caunter patterning from mid 1940 until October 1941 when the scheme was cancelled.  The surviving Matildas were reorganised into Tank Brigades and repainted in plain Light Stone No.61.  Some units then applied locally devised mottled or very rough banded patterning in 1942.  This didn't last long as they were KO'd or backloaded for refurbishment and repainted the correct single colour again.  The darker artwork shows a UK based Matilda finished in SCC.2 brown which became the basic colour for all vehicles and AFVs in UK from mid-1941.  Please note that blue was NOT used in the Caunter patterning, the Tamiya colours are all wrong and the pattern is not correct and in addition one section of colour is missing altogether.   I saw that a section of the post showed a Dorchester ACV, my earlier comment. apply to that too.

Mr. Starmer, I humbly thank you for your concern with my project. So, what color do you suggest for my one color Matilda? Light Stone nº 61, I presume.

I have "the caunter scheme (1940-41) Africa and Mediterranean" from AK interative, code AK 4030, with Light Stone 61.

Which base color I use to simulate a previous color for chipping effect?

Best Regards,

Cesar

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

For those unaware who Mike Starmer is...

Oh yes, Mr. Starmer is an expert about Bristish army camouflage :worthy:

Mr. Smith, I appreciate your additional information.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Carius

52 minutes ago, Carius said:

I have "the caunter scheme (1940-41) Africa and Mediterranean" from AK interative, code AK 4030, but it doesn't bring the color Light Stone 61, only Portland stone nº 64.

HI Cesar

Mike well have a better answer  or a now available paint,

but  this is a Tamiya mix from Mike, included in the link.

BS 61 Light Stone, Tamiya mix

Having recently acquired most of the Tamiya matt colours I an slowly working my way through to finding mixes that match or as close as possible to the British WW 2 colours. So first success is BS 61 Light Stone as used from 1940 till 1943.
Mix: - 7 pts XF2 + 2 pts XF59 + 2 pts XF3.
The result may shock some modellers but it is just slighlty lighter than my 1930 sample, certainly near enough. Watch this space, more to come, I hope.

Hi Ceaser,

I used the AK Caunter set when I did this 1/48 Bedford MWD.

37769889092_e580c20e49_b.jpg

Ive also made mixes as per Mikes research in the past. The AK set seems to me to be ok. YMMV

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 3

Wow Plasto, Your Bedford looks excellent. I love the counter camo on it. The AK Ligth Sotne 61 looks perfect to me for my Matilda. I believe that Mr. Starmer approve the color too.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers:cheers: