Tracks for a 1/35 SU-122

Ade H

One of MiniArt's mostly very good SU-122s is sitting here half-finished, waiting for me to complete the interior and find some after-market tracks. I've given up on the kit tracks as bad engineering, as it's just impossible for me to get the second of each link's pins to click home without snapping them. I'm down to three spare links! I'd cement them, but there's not enough contact area.

The trouble is that I can't find any AM tracks which refer specifically to the SU-122 (or even SU-85). As the running gear looks like it was shared with the T-34, were the tracks exactly the same? I've not found a definitive answer to that yet and a wrong assumption could be expensive.

Ade.

Thanks, Jack. That gets me a bit further. Can you suggest/recommend any particular manufacturers to search for? Since your reply, I've only found some Friulmodel T-34 tracks which may suit, but they cost more than the kit from a foreign eBay seller and I can't find a British stockist.

There is only a couple UK vendors I'm familiar with,

Hannants:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=954&keyword_search=t-34+track&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

... and eModels:

https://www.emodels.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=t-34

I didn't know AK Interactive made metal tracks, must be some other branding reboxed with their label? 

-----------------------------------

Some other brands to look out for are MasterClub, Modelkasten (one of the more cheaper priced), Kaizon, AFV Club, and Space Ace models.  Macquette also have some, but are just links that are glued together - no pins.

The trouble you have with breaking pins reminds me of my own experiences with a set of 1/48 Tiger tracks.  I finally noticed there was a correct side to start with, if choosing the opposite side, they would always break the pins.  Don't know if you notice the same?

regards,

Jack

Thanks, Jack.

No, these MiniArt pins are symmetrical unfortunately; both pins are straight and thin rather than, say, a tapered bump which would be much more robust. Maybe MA should get Meng to make its tracks!

My next step before spending my way out of trouble is to try trimming one pin down slightly.

Thanks for the tips about the other brand names to look for; I'll keep searching for them.