Me262 Nose Wheel Design?

GazB

One of those moments of frustration in modelling when, upon looking at ref pictures, the answer still isn't clear :P

Did the Me262 have a particular design for its nose wheel use more than most, or where they both in use? My HobbyBoss kit supplies the option of a treaded wheel, which would nicely demonstrate weathering, or a smooth version. 

A few pics of captured Me262s show the latter installed, but its hard to confirm if the smooth tyres were a later installation, with the treaded being earlier models.

Appreciate any help :)

Gaz

1 hour ago, tango98 said:

GazB,

Simple answer is that both were used; your best bet is to find a good, clear photo of your chosen subject and be guided by it.

Not much but I hope it helps.

Cheers

Dave

I figured it might have been a case of both in use :)

Cheers, Dave ^-^

Gaz

As I have understood it, the Me.262 nosewheel was the same wheel as used by the Bf.109G-6/14's main landing gear wheel.  It could be the treaded type or smooth.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

As I have understood it, the Me.262 nosewheel was the same wheel as used by the Bf.109G-6/14's main landing gear wheel.  It could be the treaded type or smooth.

Interesting. I wonder if there was any specific reason for one being chosen over the other.

Thanks, though, Blecky :)

Gaz

6 hours ago, GazB said:

Interesting. I wonder if there was any specific reason for one being chosen over the other.

Thanks, though, Blecky :)

Gaz

Hi Gaz, as for one being chosen over the other, strictly a guess on my part, I would suspect availability, later in the war anyways or perhaps where the 262s were operating from - a field or a paved surface.  I've seen pictures of 262s parked in the trees alongside the autobahn and others where they were taking off from fields.  Perhaps one tyre type was preferred over the other depending on where they were operating from?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

Hi Gaz, as for one being chosen over the other, strictly a guess on my part, I would suspect availability, later in the war anyways or perhaps where the 262s were operating from - a field or a paved surface.  I've seen pictures of 262s parked in the trees alongside the autobahn and others where they were taking off from fields.  Perhaps one tyre type was preferred over the other depending on where they were operating from?

Hi Blecky.

I actually had a similar thought. The non-tread tyre is fatter as well, suggesting use on a different surface :)

Gaz