Special Hobby AH-1G Cobra

To run alongside my Dakota Mk.III build, I wanted a smaller kit to crack on with, and looking in my stash I decided to opt for a kit I've never attempted before. This is a first in 2 ways, my first Special Hobby kit and my first Helicopter! I picked the kit up on holiday along with a Special Hobby Sf-1, it was cheap and although I don't usually build helicopters I fancied the challenge. So here goes on 2 firsts!

DSC_2921

The box includes detailed colour instructions, and a small but detailed sheet of decals, for the 4 options of paint scheme. 

DSC_2922

There are 5 grey plastic sprues, all very detailed with panel lines, rivets and the like, and one clear sprue.

I am planning on painting the aircraft in the scheme of Candy Ann, as flown by CW2 Randy Zahn and SP4 Marshall Maring of C- Troop, 1St squadron, 9th Cavalry, in Vietnam August 1970. Let the fun begin!

• Like 1

I found time tonight (whilst the paint dries on my Dakota build), to start work on the Cobra. This is my first Special Hobby kit, and I'm finding the instructions very small (having my eyes tested again tomorrow luckily!), and complicated. However, I have cracked on with a spot of painting, I have painted the cockpit walls, and floor anthracite (this is not from instruction, rather from pics on the net).

DSC_2928

Once this dries i will add some weathering. I also painted the instrument panels black, highlighted areas of the cockpit (switches etc) with black also. As well as painted several of the steel areas. Only a minor start, but it's a start!

• Like 2

Since my last post I have attached some of the aluminium grills into the side of the fuselage, which was rather fiddly as they were rather small (thank goodness for tweezers). I then began to focus on the cockpit, removing the back section and fixing the replacement in place.

DSC_2935

I then added some switches and buttons, to the cockpit, and secured the decals to the instrument panels. I've not worked with special Hobby before, but the decals were superb, nice and thin, and when I pressed them in with a cotton bud they stuck fantastically. Slow progress, but coming along.

DSC_2934

• Like 3

I have  been working on finishing the cockpit today, ready to fix into the fuselage as soon as possible. Yesterday I painted the seats, using Humbrol dark grey for the frames, olive drab for the seat and backs, and cockpit green for the lighter cushion. The instructions call for a very vivid green, but having done some online research, these are the closest matches I can find. So today I fixed the grey (tiny) panels to the sides of the seats, before gluing the seats into the cockpit. The outer side panels were then fixed, using Gorilla glue (for a quick stick!). All of these little panels are very fiddly, as is the entire cockpit. 

DSC_2939

I then uses some Revell weathering powder to dirty up the cockpit, for this I used mud brown powder, which I dry brushed, followed by a spot of sand. I have also added Chipping to the floor and walls using Humbrol silver. I'm glad this fiddly part of the build is nearly over.😅

• Like 1

Since my last post I have spent time securing the cockpit into the fuselage. I am very glad I did a dry fit before adding any glue, as the instructions are none too clear, and I may have set into far back. Once this was in place I fixed the mast for the rotor blades in and glued the fuselage halves together. Then inbuilt the nose, gluing the halves together, and carefully placing the centre piece in. This I then fixed to the fuselage, it's really starting to look like a Cobra.

DSC_2963

DSC_2964

DSC_2965

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it tonight after our holiday. We were lucky to stop off at Fleet Air Arms museum on our way home, and got to see some awesome looking helicopters. I managed to get some photos to help with weathering. So today I have secured the tail of the helicopter into place (minus the rotor, which I will add once the fuselage is painted).  I also fixed two panels to the left side of the fuselage, and the hood over the instrument panel. 

DSC_3031

DSC_3032

DSC_3033

I then spent time masking the canopy, ready to secure to the fuselage before painting.

DSC_3030

• Like 4

Arrrrrrgh.....canopy nightmare!😱 Attempted to fix the canopy into place this evening, it's a terrible fit, and poorly designed (well I think so, having stuck my fingers together!). I'm hoping when I remove the masking that at least one section is transparent!

• Like 1

With the canopy masked and firmly attached (and probably opaque 😟), I popped into the model shop and picked up a pot of orange, so as to begin painting. It's only one coat but the small, bright orange sections make this little kit pretty striking.

DSC_3050

DSC_3051

• Like 2

Tonight I decided to seal the orange in using Quick Shine, and set toward painting up the smaller detailed parts. 

DSC_3058

DSC_3055

DSC_3056

DSC_3057

Once the varnish is dry I will begin work painting the helicopter fuselage olive, and assembling the weapons to attach.

• Like 2

Today I removed the masking from the fuselage, and carefully remarked the orange ready to begin painting the olive drab. I thinned the paint a little with Humbrol thinners and added a drop of flow improver, and set to work. As the fuselage is quite small (well it is compared to the Dak I'm also building),  the paint went on nice and smooth, although I'm not convinced with the canopy. She's now tucked up in my cupboard drying over night. 

DSC_3065

DSC_3066

• Like 3

On closer inspection today (last night's coat of olive drab dry), I noticed a few gaps in the canopy. I decided to mix a bit of Humbrol filler and gently coax it in, this was a fiddly job but worth it into long run. Once dry I mixed some olive drab with a little thinner and flow improver, and set to work on the second coat. Whether it's my particular pot, or the type of paint, I'm finding Humbrol olive drab to be a little chalky. That said it brushed on fine, and I turned my attention to the rotor blades. I had sealed the yellow tips in with Quick Shine previously, so masked them up and gave both a coat of Revell black. It's now back in the hanger (sorry cupboard) drying over night. 

DSC_3067

DSC_3068

• Like 3

As Humbrol olive drab seems so delicate (simply touching it seems to scratch off the paint), I decided to seal it in with a coat of Quick Shine. Now super shiny, I'm hoping she will be safe from paint loss.

DSC_3075

I have also given the rotor blades another coat of black, tidying up the little bit of flash that was visible. 

DSC_3076

• Like 2

Tonight I have begun to build the trailer the Cobra is transported on. It all looked easy enough on the instructions but proved super fiddly. With a few bad words muttered, I finally managed to get all 4 pieces together in roughly the right position. 

DSC_3085

DSC_3086

Leaving this to set, I began to build the weapons. These went together nice and easy, and once dry will get another coat of paint.

DSC_3087

Not far from putting it all together now.

• Like 3

Hello Shellie !

And she did manage to get in Yeovilton.....

The more I know the more I appreciate !

Very nice job on your cobra ! Congratulations !

Really like this one, I second the other guy about the appearance !

Nonetheless, I will start my AH-1Z soon !

Keep up the good job !:clap2:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

I've been plodding on with the build over the last few days, I will be honest, I'm not happy with the canopy but the rest is coming along. I've added the skids, and side covers.

DSC_3091

This was immensely fiddly as the instructions require them to be attached after the skids, eventually (after lots of words that would need bleeping out!) I got them in place.

DSC_3092

I have secured the tail rotor, which didn't want to sit level at all.

DSC_3093

I have also attached the weaponry on the front, which gives the aircraft a mean stance.

• Like 4