Italeri Dakota Mk.III

I haven't been neglecting the build, on the contrary, I have been busy applying light coats of Windsor and Newton matt varnish. To minimise the amount of visible brush strokes, I mixed a little flow improver into the varnish. After the first coat it worked fine, after the second however, it dried horribly. So tonight I have given it another coat, with a neater mix and all looks OK......I live and learn!

• Like 1

This evening I have been working on some of the finishing touches of the build, namely the wheels and undercarriage and props. I began by fixing the rear wheel in place. 

2017-10-09_09-55-51

This went smoothly, after a very difficult dry fit I used my craft knife to make the hole for the wheel to slot in slightly rounder. I then began on the front wheels, initially these went in easily as there are slots for the struts to fit in to and the wheel bay holds it upright. However then I added the retraction jacks, it was obvious the wheels were not sitting level, a little tape (visible in the photos) helped pull it back square. 

2017-10-09_09-56-43

2017-10-09_09-56-18

2017-10-09_09-56-58

2017-10-09_09-57-23

I have also fixed the props into place, these went on easily, after a little sanding.

I am going to leave all of these to dry over night before attaching the doors tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Here's last night's efforts (couldn't upload them last night as my camera wouldn't connect to my phone!), I have attached the door to the cockpit, this was fiddly I will admit but it went on fine.

2017-10-11_04-36-53

I  then tackled the double doors on the fuselage, this was trickier, however with patients they were soon on and in place.

2017-10-11_04-38-07

2017-10-11_04-37-32

thats it for now, a few finishing touches left for tonight. See ya. 

• Like 4

Not meaning to poop on your parade on an otherwise lovely build Shellie, but your undercarriage struts are put together wrong.

The large retraction strut at the back is the wrong way round (the triangular blob on the end should point forward, not back) and the small twin struts sit between the large struts.

Here's a clear picture of what I mean:

https://worldofaircraftdesign.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/douglas-dc-3-kn563-c-gdak-landing-gear-30.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Scott Garard
  • Thanks 1

Great build :yes:

It's very probably another case of stable doors being shut long after the horse has legged it, but I have a collection of 'walk around' photos of a DC3 from a visit to the museum at East Kirkby, Lincolnshire earlier this year.

For what it's worth, you can see them here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42575748@N08/albums/72157685420032265

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

Not meaning to poop on your parade on an otherwise lovely build Shellie, but your undercarriage struts are put together wrong.

The large retraction strut at the back is the wrong way round (the triangular blob on the end should point forward, not back) and the small twin struts sit between the large struts.

Here's a clear picture of what I mean:

https://worldofaircraftdesign.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/douglas-dc-3-kn563-c-gdak-landing-gear-30.jpg

Cheers!

I have to hold my hands up here, the instructions were not very clear, but I should have done my usual research. I stand corrected.......and so does the Dak!

Many thanks Michelle. 

DSC_3133

• Like 4

Having corrected the undercarriage and attached the antenna wire, which I fashioned from very fine fishing line, I decided to paint up a few of the spare aircrew I had knocking around, to sit in the aircraft. Once these were dry I carefully sat them inside, and gave the aircraft a brush over with weathering powders. A little black and dirt brown for the smoke trails, and rust around the undercarriage, and so my first 'big' build is finished. It has been a really nice build, gone together pretty smoothly, and I've discovered how good micro set and sol are when detailing the aircraft. Apart from the mishap with tue undercarriage it has been plain sailing. I will attach some pics here on my WIP and more in the ready for inspection forum. Thanks for joining me on my journey.

2017-10-14_07-02-07

2017-10-14_07-02-18

2017-10-14_07-02-44

2017-10-14_07-03-01

2017-10-14_07-00-32

2017-10-14_06-57-58

• Like 8

I just caught up Shellie; this looks very good indeed.

What a beauty for your display area :thumbsup2: .

This inspires me to simply get on with the ones I have, rather than being scared by how big they are

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1