Italeri Dakota Mk.III

58 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I too am going t o build the Italeri version into a Dak of RAF Transport Command so this insight will help

Great work so far Michelle

Ian

Some scope for ringing the changes there.  If we're not careful we could have an inadvertent Dakota Group Build.😉

• Haha 1

Been a few days since I looked in on this and it's going great guns. Looking at the sub-assemblies picture I didn't realise it was that big and I have

a 48th beastie in the loft.........it may stay there for a while! Keep up the good work Michelle.

• Thanks 1

I'm back at it today after going away for a few days, and began by fixing the wings to the underbelly of the aircraft. This went well, although it is essential you take time to ensure all is lined up nice and straight. Once held nice and snug with tape, I joined the separate halves of the tailplane together and turned my attention to securing both halves of the fuselage together. To begin with I placed the interior in dry, making sure it was in the correct position, it was clearly visible that it was going to be hard to get both sides to meet smoothly without a gap. However, undeterred I glued one side and attempted to fix the halves together. The rear of the aircraft was fine, but the front wouldn't go! Finally with a lot of squeezing, poking and prodding I got it together and quickly added some tape to hold it in place. I'm leaving it to dry now and setting to work on the chopper.

DSC_2960

DSC_2961

DSC_2962

• Like 6

We're off on holiday today for the last week of the school holidays, but I had to post a pic of the mega early birthday present I received from my other half and son......

DSC_2972

I'm so excited, the kits look amazing, choices of livery and decals are outstanding, and the box includes a beautiful beer glass and mat, one lucky girl!

• Like 9

The Dakota is coming along nicely and that is a truly impressive birthday present. I presume the beer glass will be getting some intensive flying trials?

Martian

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

This is inspiring work and I will follow your build with interest.

I have six Italeri /Esci C-47s / Dc-3s / Dakotas in my hoard and hopefully I will get the motivation to actually start one.

Michael

• Like 1

I started working on both builds today, after a week away near West Bay. On our journey home we stopped off at Fleet Air Arms museum, it was great to see so many different aircraft, in particular the Corsair, 'king of the Junglies,' Sea King, and Buccaneer on the carrier deck. Seeing some of the work the museum does conserving the paintwork of historic aircraft, gave me a few ideas with my painting and weathering. Anyway, back to the build. Today I decided it was time to introduce the fuselage to the wings! A dry fit revealed it wasn't going to be the best fit in the world, but I glued it into place and got the filler ready. I also fixed the tailplane into place (this was a much better fit!).

DSC_3027

Once the glue was dry I mixed my filler (Humbrol), and began filling the gaps along the wings, down the centre of the fuselage, and on the underside. 

DSC_3029

This is one of my least favourite jobs, but it had to be done! Later I sanded it back using my small electric sanding disc, smoothed it down, and refilled the small bits I'd missed. I have repeated this process 3 times now and hope a coat of primer will hide any bits I have missed.

DSC_3034

Finally for today I have masked the windows using Tamiya tape, ready for the rattle can primer. Time for bed me thinks.

• Like 7

I had planned to give the aircraft a coat of primer tonight, but rain and humidity put pay to that. So instead I have put a Base coat of black on the radial engines, this gives a nice dirty look once the metal colours are applied. 

DSC_3037

I have also painted the tyres, and undercarriage and primed (using a brush) the doors and engine covers. Once dry I gave them a first coat of olive drab.

DSC_3036

slow progress, but progress nether the less.

• Like 5

After a coat of primer today, there were some visible join marks along the top and bottom of the fuselage. Not what I wanted to happen, but when do builds ever go to plan?! So I filed the offending seams down smooth with my mini files and brushed a coat of primer over the sections that had been removed. 

DSC_3045

Ready now to add some colour.

• Like 4

I've just discovered this build thread, and am enthralled! Since I have a couple of Italeri Daks (a Testors/Italeri DC-3 with Eastern Air Lines decals, and a Dakota Mk.III to be done with a set of Hawkeye Models Australian National Airways decals) I'm watching with interest.

BTW great progress so far!

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

And so the fun begins......my plan is to use Humbrol olive drab, in a rattle can to paint the main of the aircraft (being a brush painter, this should remove the worry of visible brush strokes on such a huge kit). The underside however, I am painting with a brush. So tonight I masked up the grey area and set to work. I have attempted to match up the grey the best I can, and opted for Humbrol dark grey. The first coat has gone on fine, although I now wonder if it is a tad too dark.....

DSC_3047

DSC_3046

DSC_3049

I am going to look at my colour converter app and see what I can find, otherwise I will lighten the grey up a little on the next coat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The lower fuselage should be a closer to Neutral grey or lighter. Airfix suggests Dark Camouflage Grey (Hu156) for their Dakotas in a simialr scheme.

Thank you for the tip, I will check my paint collection and see if I'm lucky enough to have a pot already. 

Thanks Michelle. 

Having found 2 pots of Humbrol 156 in my paint stash, yesterday I gave the underside of the Dak a coat, hoping it would lighten her up a little. The paint however, seems to be two of the 'bad' pots I have mentioned before, thick, gloopy and impossible to mix. That said I gave her a coat, and went to bed feeling down hearted. Today, I have been experimenting with the airbrush my boys got me for my birthday. I have tried using it once, and the results were blooming awful. Today however, I added a small amount of Humbrol thinners to my Humbrol paint of choice (39), along with a drop of Windsor and Newton flow improver, and low and behold I only went and did it! The half of an old Chinnock fuselage I was practising on looked pretty good. I wanted to practice as I thought airbrushing, may be the only way to improve the paint on the bottom of the Dak. Tonight however, I mixed up some Humbrol 156, with a spot of Humbrol thinner and a drop of flow improver and began to brush it on, and the result?....Well I'm not 100% happy, but it looks a lot better.

DSC_3054

DSC_3059

Leaving the paint to dry, I began working on the radial engines. Having already given them a coat of black, I added silver highlights, and some light gun metal to tue manifolds, as well as a little Bronze, not too shabby so far.

DSC_3053

thats all for tonight folks!

• Like 6

The lighter grey looks a lot better Michelle :thumbsup2: .

This has really gone together quite quickly, seems like it's quite a nice kit to build.

The engines are looking good with their metallic highlights.

Great stuff!

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Some young ladies installing an engine on a C-47.

Women are trained to do precise and vital engine installation detail in Douglas Aircraft Company plants, Long Beach, Calif.  (LOC)

Chris

I think one lady and a man, because what is a men without a woman.....

(The person on top has some very muscular underarms)

Nevertheless some very nice propaganda :D

• Like 1