Stonehenge - a staged study for my LHS

Hi Folks

Completed this a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have time to take photos. Popped into my LHS today to grab some snaps.

The idea behind this was to create an indication of the various stages that one could go through to reach a finished 'subject' from this model (suggested by the LHS owner).

Comments and questions are welcomed.

FinishedOverview.jpg

Some closer shots, which I hope demonstrate the various stages of the build (Un-Dressed stones, Dressed stones, Painted stones and Weathered stones). Lifecolor Acrylic paints used throughout.

Closeup1.jpg

Closeup2.jpg

Closeup3.jpg

Closeup4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Kev

• Like 17

44 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job mm,a background with a sunrise would be perfect...

...or possibly a towering Spinal Tap guitarist? :idea:

That is a seriously wonderful and inspired piece of work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nice job. It's a mystery as to what the ground was covered in... possibly the turf was removed and the whole area was scraped back to bare chalk? But your grass does look good, as do the stones themselves. Great idea to show the different stages of construction/painting etc.

As for a 'proper' diorama, maybe modelling a gang of blokes using an A-frame to lift and drop a megalith into a hole?

In ancient times,
Hundreds of years before the dawn of Cyanoacrylate glues,
Lived a strange race of people, the Britmodellers

No one knows who they were or what they were doing,
Especially in the aftermath of the Photobucket Fiasco,

But their legacy remains
Hewn into the resin, of Stonehenge

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Hi Folks

Completed this a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have time to take photos. Popped into my LHS today to grab some snaps.

The idea behind this was to create an indication of the various stages that one could go through to reach a finished 'subject' from this model (suggested by the LHS owner).

Comments and questions are welcomed.

FinishedOverview.jpg

Some closer shots, which I hope demonstrate the various stages of the build (Un-Dressed stones, Dressed stones, Painted stones and Weathered stones). Lifecolor Acrylic paints used throughout.

Closeup1.jpg

Closeup2.jpg

Closeup3.jpg

Closeup4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Kev

P M sent

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Arachnid - PM replied to with info.

AngstROM - Badder suggested the Spinal Tap connection during the WIP thread - not that I remembered it. I guess old age has its virtues - hee hee...

Badder - Nice idea - though the research notes that come with the model show a twin wheeled device that may have been used to raise the capstones. That would look interesting, too, I reckon. Only prob is getting 1/135th scale figures for the dio - though in this day and age of 3D printing that may not be such a problem.

bhouse - next time I go into the shop I'll take my ruler and check out the accuracy of the main uprights for you. Crikey, as if having to count rivets wasn't enough, already??? ;):D

I should mention that all I had to add this kit was the paints/weathering set and a hardboard base large enough to stand it on. All other materials used (Glue, grass, small stones, standing stones, layout map and Pressed Fibre base board) came with the kit. The kit comes with plenty of spare standing stones, too. If you do get this kit - be prepared for an awful lot of dust while 'dressing' the ceramic stones.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First off very impressive idea. 1/135th scale ... i would think there might be something out there in 1/144th scale and possibly in the very small railroading scales. This would give you people to use/modify for a human presence in the diorama. They make humans for 1/350th and 1/700 scale ships so i believe there is at least a possibility. Hope that helps. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

there might be something out there in 1/144th

That makes sense. Many digs have shown that people back then were smaller than today. 

A 1:144 figure of a modern 6 footer would scale to 5' 7" at 1:135 so appropriate for the era.

• 4 weeks later...