Tamiya King Tiger. My first 1/35 tank.

Hi all. This is my first attempt at 1/35 armour. 

I brush painted it using Mig Ammo King Tiger paint set. I had planned to try airbrushing but had numerous problems so stuck with the hairy stick.  Detail has been added using the Eduard Etch set. 

Weathering was kept to a minimum with just a light dust wash applied to the road wheels & sprockets & some black panel line wash to enhance the details. 

resized_daf83d44-551a-4f06-b2f7-3a4ab147resized_a9f5e678-b595-45b1-a158-0ff36f5fresized_9e6634c9-8c14-41ae-87a8-7eb5310cresized_f36c60c3-4586-4ec1-a4ec-ddf341a2

C&cs always welcomed. It's the only way I will learn!

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 9

Hi, and welcome to the best forum on BM.

Yep, that looks like a 'clean' Tiger II. That's what they want, that's what they are going to get.

I see you have based the camo pattern on the box art, not a precise copy, but close. I think you did the right thing there. It's sometimes quite hard to make up your own pattern... you can end up with a model with too much of one colour... especially with the 3 colour camo. Or you can end up with a bit of a pig's ear trying to work out where the colours reach a transition between the deck and the turret for example.

So, great camo AND great work with the hairy stick. If I hadn't read he intro, I'd have bet my money that it was airbrushed.

I look forward to seeing your first attempt at a more heavily weathered AFV. And personally, I'd go for another Tiger II, what with it's large flat surfaces and the low number of complex angles.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I am mainly an aircraft builder but I enjoyed the armour build and will be back with some 1/35 Sherman's & Halftracks, as soon as the man cave is sorted from my move & my kits unpacked. 

@Badder

Thanks for the comments on the camo, this was definitely an approximation of it, with a lot of guess work & same for the markings. I did find the Tamiya instructions let me down there. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1