Airfix Nakajima B5N2 'Kate'

Ready for your inspection I have Airfix's Nakajima B5N2 'kate.' The aircraft is painted in the colours of one from the Imperial Japanese Navy carrier 'Shokaku," which was involved in the attack on Pearl Harbour. I also opted for the folded wing version, partly because I wanted to experiment with cutting the plastic, and partly because I think they look rather mean with wings folded. The build went well until the painting stage, I always brush paint, and tried experimenting with thinners to enhance my painting techniques. I have since learnt that I achieve better results using distilled water to thin my paint. That said, this model making lark is a constant learning curve and I'm pleased with the final results I have achieved. 

DSC_2914

DSC_2913

DSC_2915

DSC_2916

DSC_2917

DSC_2918

• Like 17

Hi Michelle,

this is a rather pleasing model to behold. Well done.

I hardly ever use acrylics on large surfaces because I find them a pain to brush paint, distilled water or not. A flow improver is rather essential if you want to achieve something good.

Therefore I am mostly an enamel chap!

Keep at it, you are doing swell.

JR

• Thanks 1

Keep at it. No matter how long you've been modelling you never stop learning. I tell you what though; I tend to shy away from cutting a wingfold; either the model or my fingers will come off worst.

• Like 2

Really like this. Think we started bout same time and I'm learning from you, I might try your distilled water trick for thinning paint for better finish. I've started using AKAN paints from Russia and they brush paint well. Very brave cutting plastic, I'm a good bit off that stage. Well done 

• Thanks 1

Great job and absolutely nothing wrong with your brush painting (I'm also a brush painter) technique - I really like how you achieved the mottled camo effect using your brush - how did you achieve that?

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Great job and absolutely nothing wrong with your brush painting (I'm also a brush painter) technique - I really like how you achieved the mottled camo effect using your brush - how did you achieve that?

Regards

Dave

Thank you, I always worry about painting camouflage with the brush as airbrushing seems to give a more authentic look. To get the mottled effect I painted the camo on free hand using the correct colour, I then mixed some white in to fade it down and went over some of the surface. Also the weathering powder helped to tone the camo down. It was more luck than judgement! 

Thanks Michelle.