Thanks CK,

working on that now. The TOW launcher names are visible in the down position and not in the launch position, correct?

Think i have all the necessary marking information, now to get it all to fit on a sheet of decal film. Glad to hear that your colleagues like the build too, just a pity I didn't buy the Cav version instead of the infantry mover, then it would have been even more accurate. The small detail differences will only be evident to the "connoisseurs"  though so it shouldn't be a big issue.

cheers,

Julian

• Like 1

Only thing to change with the lettering would be the font, not a huge deal, but out stencils look more like Arial Bold rather than the stencil font, again not a big deal.

As far as the names on the TOW Launcher, when down the names would face straight out, when raised the names would face the sky.

Finally, the Velcro:

37216349546_5fde5b62a7_b.jpg

It runs all the way around the base of the bustle rack, bottom of the TOW (or top when raised, just like crew names) and base of the CIV.

37234530772_a87baa8efb_b.jpg

On the front it runs down next to the gun then out to the edge.  This is C22 and you can see the Velcro on his turret.

37405815075_aac36acf34_b.jpg

This is Crush Kill, and you can just barely see the Velcro at the bottom, but I wanted to point out, we cut around the bolts cause it looked better than way.  

If you’re putting the ERA armor on the turret then don’t worry about the Velcro on the front as it would be covered up.

• Like 5

Changing the font is simple, will change that. The two lengths of green strip will be enough for the bustle and turret.

Where do you put the rear vehicle ID's when airco units are fitted? On the rear mudflaps?

I made a test sheet this afternoon that is now drying. I'll give it a test this week before running up some final prints.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Changing the font is simple, will change that. The two lengths of green strip will be enough for the bustle and turret.

Where do you put the rear vehicle ID's when airco units are fitted? On the rear mudflaps?

I made a test sheet this afternoon that is now drying. I'll give it a test this week before running up some final prints.

Yeah on the mudflaps, which are usually pretty banged up (if you look at my photos you can see they’re torn and bent).

Usually we weren’t too worried about bumper numbers overseas, each vehicle had so much personality that you could identify a truck just by looking at it and know exactly who the crew was.

• Like 1

25/9 update.

Driver's hatch, Tow reloading hatch, rear ramp and engine bay covers fitted, along with the airco units. CK mentioned that all pioneer tools on the hull were stored inside the Bradley. Unfortunately I read this part after having securely glued them to the out hull :wall::oops:

Now for a few days attending to suspension, tracks and wheels before continuing the build:

DSCN5324.jpg

DSCN5330.jpg

DSCN5329.jpg

DSCN5325.jpg

DSCN5326.jpg

DSCN5327.jpg

DSCN5331.jpg

:yahoo:

• Like 7

Still a ways out, but I thought of something in regards to markings: Other than the decals you’ve printed off, the only other marking we had was the star on the back ramp (should be included in kit decals) and the fire extinguisher markings (“pull here” or something t that effect)

• Like 1

One other thing (although I’m sure many more will come) drivers have a tendency to drive off with the ramp still down, so almost every Brad has a shaved down edge on the top of the ramp and dismount door.  Usually all the way down to bare metal

37266240916_b6a1e16008_b.jpg

That’s the back of CK when she was new, only took a couple days for the door to get filed.

Edited by crushkill
Forgot to add picture
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, crushkill said:

One other thing (although I’m sure many more will come) drivers have a tendency to drive off with the ramp still down, so almost every Brad has a shaved down edge on the top of the ramp and dismount door.  Usually all the way down to bare metal

37266240916_b6a1e16008_b.jpg

That’s the back of CK when she was new, only took a couple days for the door to get filed.

These are nice details to include CK, Crush Kill looks amazingly clean in all the photos you have posted, was this just after deployment or was maintenance your hobby? (just kidding here, this will test all perceptions of weathering for me though, check this build out: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013252-116th-trumpeter-sdkfz-186/&page=1  this is more the weathering I am used to :D)

You mentioned that the front of the Bradleys and the ERA blocks get really trashed during use. Do you have any pics of that sort of damage to give me an idea of what that would look like?

Cheers

Julian

25 minutes ago, crushkill said:

Still a ways out, but I thought of something in regards to markings: Other than the decals you’ve printed off, the only other marking we had was the star on the back ramp (should be included in kit decals) and the fire extinguisher markings (“pull here” or something t that effect)

Stars are included in the kit, still a lot of warnings and markings to add so I am pretty sure the fire extinguisher markings will appear somewhere.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

These are nice details to include CK, Crush Kill looks amazingly clean in all the photos you have posted, was this just after deployment or was maintenance your hobby? (just kidding here, this will test all perceptions of weathering for me though, check this build out: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013252-116th-trumpeter-sdkfz-186/&page=1  this is more the weathering I am used to :D)

You mentioned that the front of the Bradleys and the ERA blocks get really trashed during use. Do you have any pics of that sort of damage to give me an idea of what that would look like?

Cheers

Julian

Wow that’s build is phenomenal!  So, all the pictures I posted were stateside, right after we got the new A3’s and prior to deployment, hence their cleanliness.  I had to do some digging but I found some good photos of our tracks (and sister units) in Iraq.  All of these photos were taken during significant amounts of fighting and you can see the wear and tear of such.  None of these are CK unfortunately I am not too good at taking photos, especially overseas (much to my wife’s dismay😂)

37314748701_5e170b66ae_b.jpg37058521520_cecfb45d23_b.jpg

37267334386_04d701ba14_b.jpg

37267334126_2b446ddbe9_b.jpg

37314743221_a486bb1320_b.jpg37058515130_e2ccb90c7b_b.jpg

These were in Baghdad around New Years 2008.

37457322685_aa356874db_b.jpg37314724851_7505409933_b.jpg

Mosul 2010 during a raid on high value targets.

One qwirk specific to CK was the front piece of armor on the TC side (bottom one, on the picture above the operator is standing on it with his left foot- although driver side).. anyway, the TC side was bent back about 30° where we hit a tree that didn’t want to get out of the way, bent the armor and we never bothered replacing it.  

• Like 4

On 9/25/2017 at 10:37 PM, longshanks said:

By the time you finish this Julian you'll be able to do a full service on the Beastie ...

Kev

Hi Kev, don't know about doing a full service but will certainly be well acquainted with Crush Kill :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29/9 update.

The photos that CK sent show the front ERA blocks to be fitted with what would appear to be anti slip surfacing. Now to try doing this is probably a quick way to mess up my build so I masked of the relevant squares and gave them a quick blast of Meng's Desert tan shadow. Worked out very well and gives the slightly darker square effect I was looking for. Side armor/ERA panels ready for painting and the wheels are airbrushed and ready to go.

DSCN5337.jpg

DSCN5338.jpg

DSCN5339.jpg

DSCN5340.jpg

DSCN5341.jpg

:yahoo:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, crushkill said:

Looks great!  I’ve been checking the forums about every 30 minutes eagerly awaiting an update!

Hi CK, work got in the way and Mrs. Gremlin56 is ill in bed with flu. You mentioned that to get a realistic build I would have to trash the ERA on the front and sides. Do you mean real deep chunks out of the tiles or scratches along the sides, the front I can sort of work out if you knock down walls with these tracks  :D

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Hi CK, work got in the way and Mrs. Gremlin56 is ill in bed with flu. You mentioned that to get a realistic build I would have to trash the ERA on the front and sides. Do you mean real deep chunks out of the tiles or scratches along the sides, the front I can sort of work out if you knock down walls with these tracks  :D

Nothing too deep, but tons of scratches and some bending and bowing.  They’re explosive so if they were too damaged they’d be replaced.  But the walls and trees and stuff we hit did a real good amount of surface damage

• Like 1

30/9 update.

First paint layers applied. More to follow.

DSCN5342.jpg

DSCN5343.jpg

DSCN5344.jpg

DSCN5345.jpg

DSCN5346.jpg

DSCN5347.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

DSCN5350.jpg

First step in building a 1/35th "Crush Kill" (and I realize Crush Kill didn't have any green ERA tiles but this I couldn't resist, sorry CK......................)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Looks nice anti-slip squares for me, I wish you a speedy recovery from Mrs Gremlin56.

Cheers Julian :popcorn:

Thanks Francis,

They turned out okay didn't they. I'll pass the good wishes on to Mrs. Gremlin56 ;)

22 hours ago, crushkill said:

Nothing too deep, but tons of scratches and some bending and bowing.  They’re explosive so if they were too damaged they’d be replaced.  But the walls and trees and stuff we hit did a real good amount of surface damage

Ok CK, should be enough for me to work on, I'll build it up slowly.

Cheers

Julian

21 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Julian - you really are doing an amazing job! Very impressive as usual. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

Its a first for me building something and getting advice from the TC of the real Track, rather intimidating really :undecided:

• Like 1