Airfix 'Starter Kit' Spitfire Mk. I 1/72

Hi guys,

So if you don't know, despite my name 'The_Lancaster' and my profile being the tail sash from a 306th BG B-17, I don't build aircraft! Armour is my thing as it were as its 9 times out of ten a simple case of building, painting, weathering, getting the tracks on (very basically). Aircraft to me have always been too fiddly to build a bit, paint it, glue it in, repeat. I just like to get the whole thing together then let lose with the airbrush later.
However, I just so happened to have a airfix starter set spitfire come across my desk and i thought, what the hell, I'll give one a go (amongst piles of uncompleted and disaster areas of half-built aircraft). And then I finished it! I know right! My first aircraft since I was five! (Sixth Former right now).
For the build I dispensed with the pleasantries (I kept the brush but the paints were for the bin) and used a mix of Tamiya Acrylics and Humbrol Enamels. The decals were applied over Klear and then sealed under another coat. Weathering was a simple process of following the panel lines with thinned raw umber oil paint and then wiped away with a dry or dampened brush of thinners in the direction of airflow. I then tackled the exhausts by airbrushing white then black just after the exhausts to create the effects of lead deposits.

Though the decal sheet literally was the roundels, codes and tail sashes (missing all stencilling etc.) I'm quite happy still with the appearance of my first aircraft!

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Edited by The_Lancaster
Pictures were a lil' small to start
  • Like 30

That is a lovely little Spitfire you've built!

I've got to keep one eye over my shoulder, you're catching up fast!

Great work! :goodjob:

(Proud dad!:smile:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...