Best way to make hole for stand?

Gardner95x

Hello,

I have these stands 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/aircraft-display-stand-assortment-1-72.html

I plan on putting my 1/48 Spitfire and FW190 on stands but am not sure about the best way to make a neat cut?

On the Matchbox kits they used to have a square on the fuselage that you could just cut open for the stand but for some reason modern kits don't seem to have the option anymore!

Modern Airfix kits have markings for the new stands; these are 2 x 2mm holes.

For these older style stands with new kits you could use an etch or razor saw to make two nicks in one fuselage half, then carefully pare away the material inbetween

Measure up the top of the stand, not including the lip. Mark that on the underside of your model in pencil and chain drill some very fine holes using a pin vise. Using a new knife blade, carefully remove the remaining plastic within that area and square it up. Make the hole slightly smaller than you think it should be and carefully trim back the plastic while test-fitting the stand. Don't forget to find the centre of gravity of your model before marking the location of the stand hole - carefully balance it on your finger tips to get an idea of where that is.