1/72 AFV Newbie Questions

BIG X

I have just been browsing the Italeri 1/72 snap together armoured vehicles.  I know they are really aimed a gamers - but are they any good???  I want to practice my painting on smaller kits and don't really want to spend an age building stuff - only to mess them up immediately I hit them with some paint.  So these snap together kits seem an ideal subject to practice on.

But - are they a load of rubbish???

it_7521_title.jpg

667788.jpg

Any opinions / links / photos would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Steve

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Italeri Armour - Fast Build / Snap Together - Any Good???
7 minutes ago, Beard said:

Hey up - loving the beard...

I did have a good look on google - but was hoping for some comments from the good folk of Britmodeller - who I trust to be honest and blunt where necessary in their opinions.

I do like the idea of the pre done wheels / tracks though...

• Like 1

...with the lack of any opinions - one way or the other - I have just bobbed down to my local model shop and bought these...

15mm%20CMP%20truck%20small.png

PSC_1-72_M5-halftrack_400%5B1%5D.jpg

...to the uneducated observer - such as myself - they look really neat.

You get three of each in a pack and drivers too.

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company - Fast Build Kits - Any Opinions

I've built quie a few of these kits both by Armorfast and PSC. They are a really quick build and you can add as much detail as you want. The lack of decals is a bit of a bind but you can source suitable decals from Dan Taylor, Mike Starmer etc. Some of the war gaming decal sets also work but can be bit on the small side.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangor Lad said:

I've built quie a few of these kits both by Armorfast and PSC. They are a really quick build and you can add as much detail as you want. The lack of decals is a bit of a bind but you can source suitable decals from Dan Taylor, Mike Starmer etc. Some of the war gaming decal sets also work but can be bit on the small side.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers

Cheers Dave - Most appreciated.  Any ideas where I can lay my hands on Dan Taylor or Mike Starmer decals

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Cheers Dave - Most appreciated.  Any ideas where I can lay my hands on Dan Taylor or Mike Starmer decals

Dan Taylor has a pretty comprehensive website here: http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/

Mike is on Britmodeller so you should be able to find him on here. I don't recall if he has a website.

• Like 1

Hi

Alternatively try looking up skytrex decals who make a range of generic sets - can usually be found on ebay.

Regards

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Hi

Alternatively try looking up skytrex decals who make a range of generic sets - can usually be found on ebay.

Regards

Ben

I got all my red cross decals from skytrex - via ebay - via some guy in Scotland - I will need to fish out his business card - they are pretty good.

The main problem I have is zero knowledge of anything AFV - I guess I will need to start a thread with a few simple / beginners questions - about AFV / WWII / British forces etc.

Are there any volunteers out there who are willing to help a AFV newbie...

12 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi

Happy to help if I can. Been a 1/72 afv modeller for the last 25 years.

Ben

Well - 'Hello Ben' - very pleased to meet you ;)

This could get messy - but I do hope you can help me - no pressure...

Here's the back story - I'm pretty clued up on RAF WWII stuff - I've also recently got up to speed on Luftwaffe stuff from the same period.  Now a week or two ago - in a thread far, far away - someone mentioned kits from their childhood and it made me remember the Airfix pontoon bridge assault set I got from my dad in around 1971 or 1972.  This brought back a lot of very fond memories and as if by magic...

...last week Hannants announced they had secured 13 pontoon bridges on limited import - saying - 'when they are gone - they are gone'.  So how could I resist - so I jumped on and ordered one.  It arrived mid week and when I opened it - my childhood was sat there in front of me.  The kit is the bridge only and doubtless many would dive in and say 'it isn't accurate in any way' - but basically I don't care - I just want to have some fun.

As the original kit came with tanks / troops / bunkers etc - I thought it might be nice to get a couple of simple kits to go with it.  I originally found the Italeri fast build kits and asked if anyone had any opinions.  This didn't illicit any responses and then I found the PSC kits.  My local model shop stocks both - so I sneakily opened a couple of boxes and the PSC ones looked a bit better - so I bagged these in 1/72...

15mm%20CMP%20truck%20small.png

PSC_1-72_M5-halftrack_400%5B1%5D.jpg

...on closer inspection they look pretty neat and one of my original aims was to learn AFV painting and weathering - rather than 'building' - so they seem ideal.

Now - I have a bridge / 3 halftracks / 3 trucks AND NO DECALS.  I wouldn't mind a couple of tanks and this is where the questions start...

can you suggest a scenario for these kits and suggest which decals might be appropriate.  Here is how naive I am on WWII AFV knowledge...

I thought vehicles with stars were all American - but now I understand this was 'allied' markings - so you can see how low down the food chain I am on all of this.

any thoughts or encouragement would be a big help.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to Topic Title Change - 1/72 AFV Newbie Questions - HELP

Hi Steve

Nice to "meet you".

Hopefully I can help a bit with this. Cool back story - seem to remember I had the same set when I was a kid.

The PSC kits are probably more detailed than the Italeri and more of a kit as the Italeri quick builds I have are a couple of pieces and greatly simplified, especially the tracks and suspension.

Good news is that both sets you have are British so could be used together. Very appropriate scenario would be after D-Day with a column of vehicles advancing to the front.

The trucks were generally speaking used to carry supplies, whereas the half tracks carried infantry. You would be able to do them both from the same division with similar markings.

The star is the allied recognition symbol, used by the US, British, Canadians etc. More common on trucks etc than tanks as it apparently made a good aiming point for anti - tank gunners!

Paint scheme wise the trucks would be be in British paint, whereas the half tracks where supplied by the US so would most likely be in US olive drab. Paint colours and markings are a minefield, especially when modelling British so my advice is generic.

I would presume the trucks would be painted in one of three schemes:

1: Overall scc.2 (a brown colour)

2: Scc.2 with a blue-black disruptive pattern (scc.14)

3: Overall scc.15 (a more greenish colour introduced in 1944 to better match the US supplied vehicles).

As vehicles were only repainted in scc.15 when modified or repaired / overhauled, I would presume the first two are more likely.

If you let me know what paints you use I can give you the mixes to make these colours (I use mike starmer's mixes).

With regards to markings each vehicle would carry:

An arm of service marking - a coloured square with a number in it that identified the regiment the vehicle belonged to.

A divisional sign

A unique census number (think registration number)

A bridging sign which was a yellow disc with the weight of the vehicle painted in it.

Allied stars.

I may have some decals to help you- if you can bear with me until Monday as I have relatives over and can't get to my modelling supplies. 

I'll also do a bit of digging and see what division is most appropriate.

With regards to tanks there is a choice of three that would be most likely for your scenario - churchill, sherman or cromwell.

I think PSC do the first do and revell do the cromwell. 

Hope that helps as a starter and makes sense - feel free to ask anything else you need.

Regards

Ben

• Like 3

Hi Ben - thanks for that info - it's very encouraging to know that what I've bought can be used together.

PSC do indeed do these...

ww2v20017.jpg

Plastic+Soldier+Company+Sherman+WIP1+(1)

I think I'm leaning towards the firefly if that is appropriate.

Decal-wise I always wondered what the yellow circles were - I have made a couple of 1/48 Tilly's for RAF purposes and these have the yellow circle  - so as always on here - I learn something new everyday - brilliant.

Having another quick look on Hannants they offer PSC decals as follows...

WWDEC2028 1:72 Allied Star decals. Pack of 4 sheets of mixed white and yellow stars, with and without circles plus different sizes.

WWDEC2022 1:72 Guards Armoured Division.

WWDEC2023 1:72 7th Armoured Division (Normandy).

WWDEC2024 1:72 11th Armoured Division.

I don't want to cut into your time - especially if you have visitors - but when you get five minutes if you could have a look and say if any seem suitable it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for all the great info so far - Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

The Sherman set would be fine and very appropriate.

A quick bit of digging suggests either 7th Armoured division or 11th Armoured Division, as both had attached infantry regiments.

If you decide to go 7th armoured I think the Shermans will all need to be fireflies as these were attached to the cromwell tanks on a ratio of one firefly to three cromwells.

11th armoured were equipped with both ordinary shermans and fireflies allowing you to model a mix.

If you let me know which you fancy I can look up what arm of service markings you'll need.

I'll do a bit more digging with regards to decals on monday as I'll have some free time to go through the stash then.

Hope this helps for now

Regards

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

I like the idea of the 11th armoured - especially after finding this on wikipedia just now...

"Eleventh Armoured was not directly committed to Operation Market Garden. Instead, it was tasked with securing the right flank of the operation. Attached to VIII Corps, it began moving on 18 September. Advancing in two columns, it managed to reach the US 101st Airborne Division at Nuenen, while on the 22nd, its engineers established a bridge over the Willemsvaart canal. The division could then make an encircling move around Helmond, forcing the Germans to withdraw on 25 September."

What could be better - troops / trucks / halftracks / tanks AND A BRIDGE BUILT OVER A CANAL - RESULT!!!

I promise not to bug you anymore over the weekend - but I will need help with colours - I use Vallejo Model Air and on the paint stand is...

1              WHITE  

3              RED        RLM 23

5              GREY BLUE         

7              OLIVE GREEN    

9              EAU DE NIL "D.E.GREEN"             

12           DARK GREEN     

13           YELLOW OLIVE  

14           GUNSHIP GREEN             

15           DARK GREEN      RLM 71

16           USAF OLIVE DRAB           

17           RUSSIAN GREEN              

20           GREEN BROWN

21           BLACK GREEN    RLM 70

22           LIGHT GREEN     RLM 82

24           KHAKI BROWN 

29           DARK EARTH     

32           GOLDEN BROWN            

42           DARK BROWN   RLM 61

44           GREY     RLM 02

57           BLACK  

67           BRIGHT BRASS  

68           COPPER               

72           GUN METAL      

76           SKIN TONE         

77           WOOD 

78           YELLOW                RLM 04

80           RUST    

101         LIGHT BLUE         RLM 78

104         GREEN  RLM 62

126         IDF/IAF GREEN 

255         LIGHT BLUE         RLM 65

267         LIGHT GREEN     RLM 25

302         SKY TYPE S          

315         TYRE BLACK       

323         BS DARK EARTH

324         BS DARK GREEN              

...but I'm not averse to buying whatever colours are needed to get the job done.

Thanks again Ben - you are a bit of a star - Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Seems like it was meant to be!!

No worries - I'll sort paint mixes for you and dig out the arm of services markings info I have for 11th Armoured.

Weirdly, and coincidentally, a lot of my models are or will be painted up as 11th Armoured (I like the badge is the only reason I chose them). 

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Steve

As promised I've been doing some research for you:

Firstly markings and decals

Shermans:

These would have the following:

A War Department census number beginning with "T" on the side of the tank

11th Armoured Divisional Badge (usually on left as looking at the front of the tank - regulations stated the right, but 11th Armoured seem to have painted these on the left more often than not, based on the dozens of photos I've checked). Usually placed on the transmission cover. This is repeated on the rear right

A red Arm of Service Marking with either a white "50", "51", "52" or "53" which denotes the actual regiment the tanks belonged to. I'll PM you further details. This is on the right side of the transmission cover at the front. Repeated on the left rear.

Sometimes a yellow bridging weight disc with a black "30"

Some tanks may have a white solid ringed star on the turret roof to the side of the commanders hatch. The fireflies wouldn't as the loaders hatch is in the way. The rarity of photos showing turret tops makes this a bit difficult to research, although I have proof that the commanding officers tank had a star marking.

The turrets may have carried a squadron marking of either a diamond (HQ), triangle (A squadron), square (B squadron) or a circle (C squadron). These are coloured to denote the seniority of the regiment. Tanks with AOS 51 would have a red squadron marking (regardless of shape), AOS 52 would be yellow, 53 would be blue. I presume, but cannot prove, that AOS 50 would have white squadron markings as this was the commanding regiment.

As you can see it is a complex and confusing system, and these were not always carried on the real tanks.

Finally some tanks show a radio call sign painted on the rear of the turret, this is usually in white and again usually a number followed by a letter which denoted the individual tank within the squadron - hence "2B" would be the second tank of B squadron. This system is not universal, and again not all tanks carried it.

As regards painting - fireflies would be SCC15 as they were converted in the UK from standard gun tanks supplied by the US. 75mm armed standard Shermans would probably have remained in the US olive drab they were supplied in.

Half Tracks:

These would have had the following:

A War Department census number beginning with "Z" on the sides of the bonnet and possibly repeated on the rear

11th Armoured Divisional Badge on the right front mudguard as you are looking at the vehicle and repeated on the left rear

A red Arm of Service Marking with a white "54" which denotes the actual regiment the vehicle belonged to. This is on the left front mudguard and repeated on the right at the rear.

A yellow bridging weight disc with a black "9". These are much more common on other vehicles than tanks.

A white solid ringed star on the bonnet. Possibly very small white stars on the sides - but much less likely as the British didn't use this anywhere near as much as the Americans.  

These would have been painted US Olive Drab as they were not usually repainted following delivery from the US.

CMP 15CWT Trucks:

These would have had the following:

A War Department census number beginning with "Z" on the sides of the bonnet and possibly repeated on the rear

11th Armoured Divisional Badge on the right bonnet top as you are looking at the vehicle and repeated on the left rear

A red and green diagonally split Arm of Service Marking with a white "81" which denotes the actual regiment the vehicle belonged to. This is on the left bonnet top and repeated on the right at the rear.

A yellow bridging weight disc with a black "5". These are much more common on other vehicles than tanks.

A white solid ringed star on the left side of the roof above the driver. Possibly very small white stars on the sides or doors - but much less likely as the British didn't use this anywhere near as much as the Americans. 

These would more than likely be painted SCC2, possibly with SCC14 disruptive patterning (there was a specified scheme - google may help here as I don't have a copy of the pattern)

Pontoon Bridges:

No definite idea on this as a little outside my interests but I would hazard a guess that metal parts would be SCC2.

Decals:

I've done some digging around for you as no one source does all the decals you need:

AOS Markings: Skytrex sheet AD80 has them for everything

Divisional Signs: Skytrex AD76

Stars: Skytrex AD25

These can be purchased from: http://www.skytrex.com/51-20mm-176th-scale-decals

WD Numbers: Mike Starmer seems to be the best source for these - Sheets 16 and 17 are what you need. I would PM him on here as he frequents Britmodeller.

Alternatively Aleran Decals do a sheet of Canadian WD numbers if you are not too fussed about total accuracy (just cut off the first "C" and it will leave you with the correct prefix). These can be got from: http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=2797&cat=86&page=5 

Squadron Markings: - PM me your address and I'll pop these in the post as have spares

Bridging Signs - PM me your address and I'll pop these in the post (I have premade "9" and "30" but the "5" will have to be made from a blank disc and a separate number unless I can find some more).

Paint Mixes:

This excellent resource gives you the different paints used by the British in WW2 with Humbrol mixes:

http://www.mafva.net/other pages/starmer camo.htm

I couldn't find Model Air mixes but I use standard Vallejo thinned down and these mixes from this page:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1252022924/The+complete+Mike+Starmer+Acrylic+Paint+Mix+Database

SCC2 brown: 3pts 871 + 2pts 873

SCC15 olive drab: equal parts 70888 Olive Grey [92] + 70924 Russian Uniform WWII [094] - (I just used a pot of each mixed in a larger paint pot!)

SCC14 blue-black: Tamiya XF69

(Paint mix credits to Mike Starmer)

Hope this all helps - I'll PM you some references that I can't post up due to copyright considerations

Kind Regards

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing Ben - thanks a million.  There is a lot to digest there - so I will print this off and get the highlighter out...

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 AFV Newbie Questions

Quick question - I've been looking at some Fireflys on here - do all Fireflys have that disruptive cammo on the muzzle or are lots of folk following a particular scheme???